Effects With The Nashville 112

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Paul King

Effects With The Nashville 112

Post by Paul King »

I just purchased a Nashville 112 this week and I can tell a difference between the Nashville 400 and the 112 amp. In my bedroom it sounds ok but when I played out I never found what I was looking for. I was playing completely dry using only reverb off the amp. I am going to use my Lexicon 110 and see if it will fatten up the sound. I was just wondering what effects you guys are using along with the Nashville 112 and if it gives you a fat sound.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Paul, it DOES have a fat sound. With or without effects. I'll go so far as to say it's tone is better than my Nashville 1000.

Check out Roy Ayre's tone with his 112. He only uses the reverb in the 112, no outboard effects. Roy likes a real "fat" sound and maybe even more than the Chalker sound. He gets what he wants with the 112.

Effects shouldn't fatten up the sound. Effects will enhance the sound from the guitar, e.g. delay, reverb, chorus, etc.

I've owned a Session 500, Nashville 400 (with factory tone mod), a reissued Session 400, Nashville 1000 and now the 112. I still have a Nashville 1000 but there is no need to use it.

BTW, I use a POD XT for delay/reverb. The POD XT is "transparent" as far as tone.
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Jack, I agree with you, the 112 has all the tone I want, fat, thick ,,,,,,
One thing I am having trouble with though is using a Profex 2 with the 112 for delay.
If I deleat all effects on the Profex except delay & run it to the 112, I get a small delay before the actual signal from my steel gets to the 112,,,,its like I pick a string but there is a minute delay before the note comes out of the 112. I do get the delay effect, but its what seems to be a delayed delay, if this makes sence.
I know its probably a simple remedy but its got me confounded,,,
Would you know the proper hook up to the 112 from the Profex,,maybe thats the problem.
I just want a transparent, tone wise, delay effect form the Profex
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

It sounds like you have the delay signal only, not the original guitar signal and the delay mixed. Check the programming for the progrm you are using and make sure it is being mixed or that the effect is not set to 100%.

The Left out is the one to use for a Mono (single amp) setup. Just don't turn the output gain up very far as it's designed to drive a power amp, not the low level preamp.

If you can't get it working correctly, call Mike Brown and he will assist you. 1 (877) 732-8391 x 1180
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Thanks Jack
If I read your reply corectly, you are saying to make the delay effect output mix 100% ?
Im not quite sure I understand what you mean when you say to make sure the delay program is mixed, but thanks anyway Image
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Tonight I hooked up my Lexicon unit and what a difference it made. The delay sure made a huge difference in sound. I went back and went straight to the amp and lost the full sound I was looking for. I guess I need something to help me out.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Richard, it sounds like you have the delay effect at 100% (all delay on the output) and not the guitar's original "dry" signal.

Here is the Jeff Newman delay settings for the Lloyd Green program. It's typical and you can see how the program you are using compares.
DL= Ty=Stereo, Ld=360ms, Lf=27%, Rd=360ms, Rf=27%, Ts=1K, Mx=+16
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Jack
Thanks friend, I will set the delay program per your instructions & see what I get.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you haven't done it, download the complete Jeff Newman Profex II program listing from my web site. It comes in handy.
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jstoner1

Grayson Joe

Post by Grayson Joe »

I were ask to demo. this passed sat. at a jam session at a local music store a nashville 112 and a fess. steel guitar, w/Wallace p/u 1750 oms.,reg goodrich foot vol.Ibanez DE/7 delay and about 3 on reverb on the nashville 112, and i must say the tone and out-put was outstanding,bar! the live band was highly impressed alone with other steel players of the tone and out-put of the 112, this music is a very lg. building too. ibeen playing threw a nashville 400 and sometimes a NV 1000 and i were highly impressed with the NV112 on tone& out-put, its hard to belive the 112 has only 80 watts.

------------------
Joe Grayson, Raleigh,Ms. 39153