peavy 112 problem

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

If you are experiencing a hum problem when the reverb control is increased on your Nashville 112, try relocating the complete vinyl reverb bag away from the speaker. Other that this, any customer can call me toll free at 1-877-732-8391, ext. 1180 and we'll discuss any Peavey product "one on one".

Problems such as "hums" and "buzzes" can be caused by any external device that is connected to the amp, and not necessarily the amp. So, if you experience this type of problem, first disconnect everything from the amp(including the volume pedal)to check for the "hum" problem. Then proceed by connecting the volume pedal, etc. until the hum is audible. Also, it is very important to eliminate cables first and formost. There is nothing more frustrating than to "go around the world" checking things, and then find out that it was a defective cable.

Also, check this post out; http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/006904.html

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 11 April 2005 at 08:06 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 11 April 2005 at 08:07 AM.]</p></FONT>
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

Mike i'm sorry,i fell sat.nite,and broke a left hand middle finger,so been in much pain,seems something always happens to old people huh. i be checking more today, gonna move the reverb,and see what happens. thank you for all your responses,just want to try all i can before i call you. Jennings and i were talking last night and he told me to take the reverb out completely, and have it away from the speaker.tie knots in cords to form a loop ect.so i'm gonna try it all. man that little amp sounds so good. i was playing my fender strat thru it.until i broke my finger.hahahhaha later man
farris
Scott Appleton

Post by Scott Appleton »

I have a digitech 2101 tube and effects preamp that i use with my NV112 and if i set it on top the amp will humm. It seems it is sensitive to RF from transformers. I know you can buy shielded resistors to install in the front of the amp ie the input jack has resistors that feed the first stages of preampliflication. Replacing them may lower the sensitivity to RF signals. Also the cooling vent on the top may allow RF into the circuit board and cause the hum. It sounds 60 cycles to me.I don't know how one could correct the open cooling vent problem .. possibly close it off and install a small fan that vents down through a screen or just install a grounded screen inside across the vent.I do think this flaw in the design can be correted by the folks at Peavey.

------------------
Mullen S12 Almost Mooney
71 Tele, Regal 45
Sho Bud S10 NP
Line 6 Flextone 3 + JBL D130, Acoustic 100 W all tube, Nash 112
Bill OConnor

Post by Bill OConnor »

I have a multi extension cord wraps around its self as a cord storage. i got a super hum . Just uncoiled all the cord from it causing the ground loop. No more hum the The NV 112 is a great little amp. You can always find one in many thats not working right.Man has not been able to make everything perfect. BUT PEAVEY COMES CLOSE. WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE THEM

------------------
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Scott, many amps will hum if you place some AC powered device on top of the amp, especially close to the input section.

It's not something that is "just Peavey".

You shouldn't have something sitting on the top that will cause hum and/or block the air vents, anyway. Devices should be placed somewhere else other than on top of the amp. I realize a lot of people do this, and when I was doing amp repair I would get a lot complaints about hum, etc and many times ultimately it turned out that something was set on top of the amp.
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Farris,Farris, what will we have to do with you? I told you if you keep walking around with that middle finger sticking up at people, you might get it broken.
You take care of yourself and stay out of trouble. We miss you when you are not on the forum......finger and all.
I have a suggestion. If the doc puts a cast on that finger, have him fit a studebaker wrist-pin over it so you can still play those angelic sounds.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Scott, I don't think that Peavey or any company on earth will defy the laws of physics.
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

ok guys,i'm getting better,John i didn;t even go to the doctor.been thru that before,they exray,charge a 125.00.stick a medal proct.on it and send you home.my birdy finger is healing good,played strat.a little tonight,

today i will be in the shop,working on the amp problem.
I would like to tell everyone that doesn't know, we have the best Peavy man in the world. MIKE BROWN, he emailed me today, and ask how things were going.and has answered all on the forum.you just can't buy that kind of service no where. well talk to all tomorrow night. Good nite to all. farris