preamp choice of studio players guitar&steel

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Hogsten

preamp choice of studio players guitar&steel

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

I was wondering which pre amp most of the studio players both guitar and steel are using when running direct in the studio or if they just run straight to the console I also wondered how many of the guitar players are using the pods I think more than the steel players Jeff
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

Since nobody has answered you, I'll tell you what I use, and maybe that will help get the ball rolling.

When I'm recording direct, I use an Avalon U5 preamp, a lexicon reverb (Lexicon 2, PCM 70, or MPX550), and a Fopcusrite preamp for the tone controls if necessary.

Best of luck,
Susan
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Several studio players in Nashville are using the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp...a few guys use(or have used)an Alembic F2B bass preamp...both of these are very similar to the sound of a Fender Twin Reverb.The Boogie is no longer made...the Alembic is still available,but is no longer
stereo...hope this helps.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Hinson on 21 January 2005 at 03:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

For several years now I have been using a Roland GP-100 in the studio and live. I have recorded direct many times but also use peavey speakers cabs and a Stewart world 1.2 amp.
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Allen Moore

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm not a Nashville "pro session picker" but I've been using a Rocktron Sidewinder preamp and a T.C. Electronics G-Major (for effects). I recorded my last steel CD with it and think the sound came out well. I've also done two singer's CD's with it and they came out well too.

The Sidewinder has separate "line out" jacks (both Left and Right) and that's what I used for recording.

I'm also currently using the Sidewinder and G-Major in my rack system.
Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

Ive heard a pod xt recently with a tele it sounded good the effects were very good. I have wonder what a pre amp would sound like with it and use it for effects and speaker modeling thanks for the above answers

Jeff
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

I have used the Roland GP-100 like someone above had mentioned. It works well live or in studio applications.
Billy McCoy

Post by Billy McCoy »

Well,

I use the POD XT PRO for Guitars (electric and Pedal Steel).
It works very well going direct. I am able to tweak the tone patches for each instrument and save.

Been using the products for Sessions for over 5 years....always compliments ..never complaints.

b

------------------
MSA Millennium D10, Walker Stereo Steel, Stone Tree Custom Tele, LINE 6 Vetta II and POD XT PRO

Tom Ensink

Post by Tom Ensink »

I usually mic my amp, but this is an interesting thread. Maybe I should try going direct again.

Anybody use the Evans rack preamp?

It is in my rack, but I have not tried it yet. I bought it from somebody who had to part with it.

Funny that the Roland GP 100 is mentioned here a couple of times as well. Did not know that this was still used by some. It is also in my rack, also unused! I really should try to use it again!

From what I remember, however, I did not like the speaker simulation in the GP 100 as much as I liked the Focusrite Tone Factory I got subsequently. That one had a distortion button that (if used very gentle) I liked as a speaker simulation. I believe Susan Alcorn uses that Focusrite too. Generally, you see however that in studio forums the Focusrite Platinum Series are not seen as very hip, not high end enough.

Interesting that Susan uses the Avalon M5. In my everlasting quest to get a better signal chain for my home studio (not my psg), I recently got a API 512c preamp, and I noticed it has a separate instrument preamp. Maybe I should try that for steel. That should work out fine too, probably in conjunction with the Tone Factory.

best regards,

Tom

------------------
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I don't think that most of the studio players are going into the board. I know that at least Paul Franklin always records through speakers. I know a few session guitars players here in Seattle who record using a POD, but the vast majority of them record using an amp using a mike or two.

------------------
www.tyack.com
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I've been using an Avalon 737 with the EQ out and just a touch of compression to keep from going into the dreaded digi-red zone on my D to A converters. I cut dry and add however much verb I need to hear to the moniter return while I'm playing. I've also had real good luck coming out of the XLR DI on a Session 400 - again w/the reverb turned off and then add whatever verb I want during mixdown. In fact I cut Joaquin Murphey's last CD thru a Session 400 like that. -MJ-
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I never go direct...unless asked to by whoever I'm working with.Most of the studio guys are using amps and speakers...I carry the Alembic(into a Mor-Me box)in case I have to go to a home studio where there's nowhere to put a cabinet...I probably use it once a month.
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

I use 2 Brent Averill 1272 preamps. I've been recording almost everything direct, first into the black box, then into the 1272's, then into Apogee converters to the digital realm.
Olli Haavisto

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Tom,
I`ve been using an Evans preamp through a Rocktron Prophesy processor direct on dozens of sessions with excellent results (I think Image ).
The Rocktron has a programmable speaker simulator that let you choose the size of the spkr ( I use a 15" ) ,position of the mic and cabinet type . Recently I got an Evans SE 150 and put a JBL 130F in it. That combination sounds so good that I`ve been miking an amp occasionally in the studio for the first time in many years ,just for for a different tone .

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Olli Haavisto on 25 January 2005 at 09:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

when I have to go direct i still use a roland gp 100. The clean Twin setting is the best I've heard for my ears.I used it on the Reba tour last year and I know Wayne Dahl uses one with Martina.
BB
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Demeter Tube Bass Pre and a Demeter Real Reverb (spring).

If I had the money and could justify the cost, I would get a Millenia SST-1
http://www.mil-media.com/docs/products/origin.shtml <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by chas smith on 31 January 2005 at 10:22 AM.]</p></FONT>