Peterson tuner

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Okay guys, I am about ready to get one, so where do you get the best price on it?? Poor working musicians need all the help they can get.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith »

Billy - As I said above, I got mine from forum member Chuck Campbell. My price was $237 for the VS-II, the leg clamp holder and shipping. That was the best price I found. His number is (703)753-7551 (Campbell Music) and his email is chuckfly4u@aol.com. As he's in VA and I'm in OH the freight to AZ might be a little more. This thing is so accurate and extremely user friendly. Dave
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

Thanks Dave, I will give him a call.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

This is probably a dumb question, but can you programme in the notes for your knees and pedals as well as the open tuning notes ?
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I have had one now for about 6 months and will not use anything else to tune both my steels.
Although I did re-program my E9th & C6th to 441 as I found the 442.5 to be too sharp.
I also was able to talk the sales person at a major Music Store here in Orlando FL. down to under $170 for mine.
Sometimes you get lucky if you are persistant.
Don
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

I have two different high G notes. The G# to G lower is tuned on the sharp side to be a minor third above the E string (an Em chord). The high F# to G raise is tuned on the flat side to be a major third above the D# string (actually it's part of an Eb major chord in this context).

The difference between those two G notes is something like 30 cents! Can I set two different G notes on the Peterson tuner?
John Hawkins

Post by John Hawkins »

Thanks Larry !

It sounds like it will not confuse an old guy like me to use it . I appreciate you taking time to answer my concern/ s .

BTW - as info. to those who might want to check it out , I purchased mine through a company I've dealt with a lot. It is a company that does not have any outlet/s in the State of Texas so therefore, they do not charge any tax nor do they charge postage . My net delivered to my house for the VS -2 is $ 219.95.

Don Sulesky got the best price I have heard of so far. Wow!

The company's name is Zzounds and you can look them up at www.Zzounds.com. I have been very happy with everything I have ever purchased from them-- so far.

John
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

No b0b, you can't.

You can easily adjust the cents, via a knob, so you'll have to do this extra step for your extra note.
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

Yes you can Bob, Just store it in the P-1 or P-2 mode.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

That's true, but I find it easier to turn the cents knob for one odd note.

That saves the second programable slot for another neck, or guitar.

Buck Grantham

Post by Buck Grantham »

Love the VS 11 . Took me a while to learn to use it ,but it was worth it .
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

As Bob noted above you really can't program two different settings for the same note into one tuner preset (P1 or P2) without using up both P1 and P2. It would be awesome if, for example G#3 and G#4 could have different presets. After all they are in totally different octaves and recognized as such by the tuner. The tuner could store a preset for each one in the same set of presets.

An alternative would be just to have the tuner display the +/- cents deviation from a preset. Sounds like a minor microcode change would allow this. The tuner must read and store the cents reading internally to control the strobe. Why not just show it on the readout? This would save having to turn the adjustment knob until the strobe stopped moving.

I have owned the Korg WT-12 and AT-12 tuners and this is hands down the best tuner of the bunch. But, everything can be improved!

This tuner excels at reading notes on my steel guitar and standard guitar. It has a lot of trouble with my mandolins. I even purchased the optional Peterson clip on microphone and have yet to find a picking style or instrument location where the tuner will lock in for more than about 2 seconds.

Greg
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Because I have had several request on how to use the VS-II.
I have chosen to post this for anyone who has trouble understanding the manual.
It is very confusing in some areas and I hopefully have writtin it in layman's terms.

How to Tune and Program the VS-II for the Pedal Steel Guitar.

1. Turn the switch on in the right corner below the window.

2. Press the upper menu button 3 times until the "TMPR:EQU: is on the screen under the bar in the window.

3. Then turn the center knob clockwise until you see T ( C ) : SE9 in the top right corner of the window.

4. Now all you need do is pluck your strings 1 thru 10 one at a time until the strobe bars are steady or close to steady for each note. If you use your thumb and not a pick you will get a more accurate reading.

5. If you have a C6th neck turn the knob and you will see T ( C ): SC6.
Now tune the strings as you did for the E9th neck.

6. Turn off tuner when done.

Programming the VS-II

1. Press & hold the upper menu button while you turn on the VS-II, then release the menu button.
This puts you in the “program mode” for P-1. To move to P-2 press the upper menu button.

2. Now turn the center knob clockwise for (+ cent) or counterclockwise for (– cent) values for each note.

3. To move on to the next note press the center knob once.

4. Once you have entered your offset cent values for all notes press the upper menu button twice. The screen will say “SAVE ?”. Press center knob and it will now read “SURE ??. Press the center knob again and it will read “SAVED” with a check mark. You have now saved your new settings. (This is the most complicated instruction in the VS-II manual to understand.)

5. To use your new settings turn on VS-II and press the upper menu button 3 times to put you in the TMPR:EQU mode. Turn the center knob clockwise until it reads P-1 or P-2 and you are ready to tune. Just pluck the string and bring it into pitch. The tuner will read the note automatically for you.

Don
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Don Sulesky on 02 November 2004 at 06:14 AM.]</p></FONT>