New Benoit in Virginia

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Calvin Baber

New Benoit in Virginia

Post by Calvin Baber »

After many great conversations with Carroll Benoit over several years I am now the proud owner of a beautiful Indian Rosewood w/Maple top 6 string reso.As those of you that own one know the craftmanship of his reso's is second to none and the tone is likewise.I've owned at least one of most of the major builders reso's and have built a dozen or so myself and nothing I've had surpasses this guitar.Only a few even come close.It has the most beautiful piece of Indian Rosewood on the back that I've ever seen along with a pearl and abalone inlay on the headstock that is unlike any other of his reso's that I've seen.If your looking for a new reso do yourself a favor and give Carroll a call and ask him some questions.His website shows most of what he has available but sometimes he has one or two that aren't listed as this one wasen't.Of course he will build you one to your specs also.At the very least you'll make a new friend.He and his wife are just good people.Cal

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 10:42 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 10:44 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 10:46 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 10:47 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 10:49 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 10:51 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Calvin Baber on 28 August 2004 at 11:19 AM.]</p></FONT>
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Congrats on one fine guitar.

Having a few Benoits myself, I can see that the photo does not do this guitar justice.

And it ain't just flash....they are well balanced with a big clear tone, and plenty of volume.

Carroll just keeps on evolving.

"Something special, this way comes"....later....
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

Wow, The rosewood is stunning. Can we see the maple top? Is it real bright (I bet it is) ?

Carrol Benoit is the man on these guitars, IMO and he and his wife are just the nicest folks. (can't tell I have one too can ya?)

CF
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Fort Valley ... layin' smack dab in the middle of the Massanutten mountains .... which is smack dab in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley ...

Could easily be the most beautiful place on earth ...

Now its even prettier Image

------------------
<font size=1>HorseshoeMagnets</font>
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 29 August 2004 at 10:45 AM.]</p></FONT>
Calvin Baber

Post by Calvin Baber »

Hello,Here's a picture of the front of the reso.As far as the tone its not as bright as the wood combination would tend to make you think.It also has Ebony capped Maple inserts which would also make you think it would be a bit on the crisp side. I did change over to Phospher Bronze strings and went up to 17 and 19 on the 1st and 2nd from 16 and 18 that were on it.Its very balanced across all 6 strings and has a clarity to the tone that is wonderfull with plenty of volume.
Thanks,Cal
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Calvin ,, What a beAUTIFUL GUITAR , i KNOW YOU ARE AS PROUD OF YOURS ,,AS i AM OF MINE , Hey guy I just left Carroll , and Anita ,Benoit , . He plays every Sat. night at Tuffy`s . Anita met us there I am proud for you . I know how his guitars sound , I1ll put mine up against any other brand LOL

R. L. Jones
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Hey Rick ,, What a beautiful place , Never been in the Virginias ,Would sure like to see it , Lucky guy

R>L.
Calvin Baber

Post by Calvin Baber »

Hello Rick,Great picture of our part of the world.Did you move?You were living in Front Royal weren't you? RL,Carroll sent me one of his CD's and I sure enjoyed it.It would really be great to meet him and hear his band play live.I'm looking forward to playing the new reso out and seeing how it mikes.I think I've had it out fifty times today.There's nothing like a new baby in the house.Take care,Cal
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

sure wish I had that view from my apartment window.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Calvin ... yep, we moved off Blue Mountain cause Chrissy had to live within' 15 miles of Winchester Medical Center (admitting rules).

We built a log home NW of Berryville ... from our upstairs bedroom ... I can see Signal Knob
and Hogback Mt. Image

I'd love to hear/see that rascal ... I'd better get down there before winter Image

Speaking off ... a pediatric nurse that the hospital couldn't do without lived in Ft Valley and was snowed in ... '96 ...

They sent the National Guard in after her ... using a Humvee w/ caterpillar treads Image

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 29 August 2004 at 10:45 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Howard--if you had that view from your apartment window you'd have a pretty long walk to the nearest IRT station.

Calvin---as with the other Benoit works that I've seen here, that is breathtakingly beautiful. Congratulations.
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Don't complain Howard. It's kinda hard finding a decent bagel and egg cream in Fort Valley. And try getting a cab after midnight...

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 29 August 2004 at 12:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Maybe so ... but after a pint of the locals "shine" ...

Who cares ... Image Image Image
Larry Tresnicky

Post by Larry Tresnicky »

Calvin,

Beautiful - The headstock is stunning, but then I'm a head guy so what can you say.
The wood is amzing & as Howard said, you need to see one of Carroll's masterpieces in person to really appreciate their quality & beauty.

Congratulations!!!

Howard - Last time I visited your flat in New York City I thought there was an Ocean view, through the 14 ft chain link fence behind the dumpster.

HowardR

Post by HowardR »

ROTFLMAO Image Image Image......good one Larry!
Gregg McKenna

Post by Gregg McKenna »

Nice guitar.
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Cal: Welcome to the "club" - What a beautiful guitar! Makes me wish I was like some certain people in NY & TX...I'd like another Benoit...or three. Maybe five. Oh well, I can hope!

Howard - I can only imagine what's coming from Carroll!!!
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Wow
I love Carrol's guitars. I have an 8 string that sings like a harp.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Congratulations, Calvin. I'm waiting anxiously for Carroll to finish my new guitar to replace the one that UPS prematurely sent to the guitar burying ground. It's gonna be spruce & koa like it's late, lamented twin.