What is this Rick Worth?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Arntson

What is this Rick Worth?

Post by Paul Arntson »

What is your all's opinion about this Rick on Ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3743915749&fromMakeTrack=true

Does anyone know what they sound like compared to the full console ones like Gary Brandin uses on the Vanduras album?

Thanks as always,
Paul Arntson<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Paul Arntson on 27 August 2004 at 01:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

It won't sound exactly like a console, but they usually do sound good, especially with some outboard EQing and a well matched amp. Bobby Black makes his sound REAL good.

This one looks to be worth $400

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I've not played one of those models however I'd have a tendancy to think they might very well sound much like a Bigsby or Fry Pan with that solid aluminum body. Just a tho't.

One in Portland is being offered at $850.00.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

These are great guitars ... If you buy it, you'll love it ! I've also seen them around the $800.00 mark. That one looks to be in MINT condition and I am sure it will fetch a much higher price by the time it is sold. Image
Mike Fried

Post by Mike Fried »

I've owned that exact same model guitar for years and love it. It has a huge, complex tone when set up correctly and played through the right amp (something clean and warm) and amazing sustain. It sounds closer to a frying pan than the wood console Ricks, I think. I prefer to play mine on a stand rather than laying on my lap - the weight can just about put your legs to sleep. Overall, a big thumbs-up from me...
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Bobby Black has one like that. Sounds awesome.

Hey Mike, howya doin? Image Is my sister-in-law still coming to every show within 500 miles of Missouri? Image

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

It earned the nickname of "old ugly". However, I feel it's a neat design. Those p/u's are hot as anyone who owns one will tell you. Image
Garland Nash

Post by Garland Nash »

I had one like it and it has the sound of a bigsby and is the clearest recording steel I ever played. It is very hard to play on your lap especially the inside neck I sold mine and it was mint for 500.00 Garland Nash
Mike Fried

Post by Mike Fried »

well, it looks like that one sold for over $1,600. I had no idea they'd gotten that valuable - the last I saw they were fetching well under $1,000. Even post-war Ricks seem to be appreciating by leaps and bounds lately.

Hey Herb, long time no see...I hope all is well with you. No, I haven't heard from your sis-inlaw - if you can, let me know if she's coming out to a show and I'll try to say hello.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I have a 1937 Silver Ricky and I love it! I would bet that guitar would sound Great!

Just my 2 centavos.

El Woodrow!
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Thank you all for the variety of info. As always, I have learned a lot from your combined knowledge. You all are a great bunch of folks!

-paul
Vernon Hester

Post by Vernon Hester »

I have one like that except it has a metal cover on the back (Alum). Wonderful tone. Bought mine in late 49 or 50. Played hundreds of nights in clubs and Radio,TV shows with this guitar. pulled it out couple years ago and recorded some tunes with it still has the Ricky growl.You can see a picture of it in the Lap Steel Guitar book by Andy Volk
Vern<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Vernon Hester on 02 September 2004 at 12:52 AM.]</p></FONT>