Mike Brown-Peavey amps.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Wiesner

Mike Brown-Peavey amps.

Post by John Wiesner »

Just an observation from A new steel player and a well seasoned electronics man.When I see people take the logo off there amp. or guitar this to me is saying to the manufacturer that they don't like the product.The players that have purchaced a Peavey product are very lucky, You can call Peavey on the phone and speak with a real live person in less than two minutes,you have the personal support of Mike Brown, A steel player that is part of the forum. And buying a product that is made in America. How can you beat that? <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Wiesner on 03 June 2004 at 04:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Petree

Post by Larry Petree »

John, I agree with your post about Mike Brown at Peavey. We are very lucky to have a person (and steel player)Like Mike, in a position to be able to help us out. So many times I see how he helps players out, so I want to add my thanks.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Petree on 03 June 2004 at 05:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Please add me to that list! Mike is tops!

------------------
'74 MSA D-10 8&4 W/705's, Rocktron Short Timer, Profex II, Nashville 400

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Higginbotham on 03 June 2004 at 05:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Well if this is gonna turn into a Mike Brown salute..

let me add: Thank You Mike! Your efforts here and in the Steel community are very much appreciated.

John,
I disagree with you about logo removal.
If you paid for an item and think it looks better without the logo I don't feel you are insulting anyone by removing it.

I've done it. If anyone asks what the equipment is, I gladly tell them. If I was unhappy with the brand I would'nt be using it, logo or not.

FWIW, The logos are on my Nash 400 and Evans AE100, but removed from my Mesa Boogie Subway Blues. They're all great amps, for different reasons.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 03 June 2004 at 06:14 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Not long ago I sent an email to peavey about an equipment problem. About ten minutes later the phone rang..... Mike Brown.
IT DON'T GET NO BETTER FOLKS.
Graham Bland

Post by Graham Bland »

You guys are right, Mike Brown is Da MAN!!!
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Yep, Mike & Peavey are all great people to deal with, fair, and helpful. Got three Peavey amps all running in top form 'cause of their help.

While the accollades are flying I want to sneak in a request. Mike, do you think you could post the schematic to the NV400 alongside the board layout that's on the Peavey web page?

Thanks and warmest regards...
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Hey, it's Friday, payday and then I read this! Life is good!

About the logo removal......................
I worked as an artist rep here at Peavey back in the '90's and this topic came up a couple of times with endorsing artists. A "lightning bolt" style Peavey logo can snag and get torn off, but I always sent or gave another to the artist to remount and most didn't have a problem with it. In most cases their gear is handled by roadies or cartage companies anyway. They never touch their gear until the get onstage.

When I discuss musical gear with a non Peavey owner, sometimes the comment, "I used to use Peavey when I first started" comes up. I'm usually curious and ask why they changed and the answer is sometimes, "I started using xxxx brand amp". My reply to them is, "how well did you play back then"?

I believe that every musician who has never laid the instrument down for any length of time feels that their playing ability has improved over the years. Or, at least they wouldn't admit that their playing hadn't improved. Well, we've never laid our instruments down either. Peavey Electronics has no board of directors to make our decisions. Hartley Peavey owns and operates Peavey Electronics on a daily basis and makes all of the business decisions, is involved in the design and marketing of every Peavey, Architectural Acoustics, Mediamatrix and PVDJ product that is shipped worldwide. And the company has grown.

The logo "thing" probably will never go away. But, those people who don't like the logo hear with their eyes and not their ears. Most consumers do not care what the logo looks like. But, they can recognize a logo. As I stated in another post, the VW bug probably would've never gained popularity if people bought it on looks alone. But, there was more to that car than looks. Enough said.

Thanks for your comments and support. I'm always here at closing time.................I think I just wrote a song.

John Daugherty

Post by John Daugherty »

Mike, that song might sell if you get Norm Hamlett and Roy Nichols to work on the session.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Image Peavey Amps Image I love'em.
Bob Storti

Post by Bob Storti »

Peavey amps and Mike Brown: the Best and the Best!!! Thank you Mike for the great support you give to the Steel Guitar community. It really means alot to us.

Bob

------------------
  • Carter D10 8P/6K, Sho-Bud Pro I 3P/3K, Peavey Nashville 1000, Goodrich LDR Volume Pedal, TC Electronics M300 Effects Processor, BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer

Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

I wonder why some people find the Peavey logo so objectionable. I've always liked the logo, even way back when I first saw it in Guitar Player magazine in the '70s. I've had three Peavey amps through the years and to me the logo represents quality...glad to have it on my equipment.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

If you got a problem, or question about a Peavey product, call Mike, if he can't help, he can/will find someone in the Co. that can. Past experence talking!!!!!All Companys should have a "Mike Brown" on thier staff.

Great job Mike.

Bill Ford

David Cobb

Post by David Cobb »

The car makers (well, actually a whole lot of manufacturers) could do with a lesson from Mike on how to run a service dept. Image
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

For another turn on this issue.
One may really like the sound of the Product; but don't neccessarily want to promote that particular product on stage. When someone plays in front of hundreds of Thousands of people all over the world; and this particular amp is seen by those folks and this particular Company does not want to promote you; then in turn; you don't want to promote them(even though you still like the product).
Ricky
Gordon Borland

Post by Gordon Borland »

I snaged of the logo on my Nashvill 400 on the second gig I took it on. I love Peavey and would have glued it back on except that it broke when I snaged it.

------------------
Gordon Borland
MSA D10,NASHVILLE 400,SESSIONS 2000,PEAVEY ADDVERB,SOME WIRES AND A BATTERY.

Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Our outfit has 16 pieces of "Peavey" gear,amps,speakers and mixer-boards. We've never lost or broken a "Logo" yet. How is it that these items manage to get broken or damaged ?? Are you guys really that rought with your sound equipment ??

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~crookwf/

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/crookwf/my_photos
Ted Hughes

Post by Ted Hughes »

I can say Mike has helped me more times than one & the Peavey service dept. to . I'll never be ashame of my Peavey Amps or anything that Peavey makes .Peavey has Mike Brown , That's good enough for me . And the service dept. is hard to beat . Keep on keeping on Mike Brown & the Peavey service dept . Mike , You know what we say down here in the South ''WE DO APPRECIATE YA"LL'' Ted
Greg Sullivan

Post by Greg Sullivan »

Thanks for the comments re: PV amps. I have a question and since I wouldnt consider myself a pro steel guiar player by a long shot,I would like any feedback on my question.

I have Fender Dual Pro Fender and use it through my Fender amp which I love. However I am seriously thinking of buying a Peavey amp.

Would those of you who are familiar with that Fender sound tell me whether or not I can get as good a bite and full sound as I do with my Pro amp Fender.

I have heard that ss amps are best when used
with a pedal guitar and not as good as a solis state amp. Can you offer any suggestion and or comments. And what would be the difference in volume and tone etc and will I still get that Fender sound.

I would ask Jody,but he is unavailable at this time. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you
Greg Sullivan
Mylos Sonka

Post by Mylos Sonka »

Peavey customer support-- it just doesn't get any better.

Mike has talked me through all kinds of problems and in doing so saved me hours and hours of muddling around. Because of him, I am a real Peavey loyalist. The company-- and the customers-- are lucky to have him.

Mylos Sonka
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Just so happens I am available and would appreciate any feed back from you Peavey fans
Please answer my buddy Gregs question. If the Peavey wins out you wont hurt my feelings
Image please answer his simple question.
Thanks. I too think much of Peavey and their great leadership and service.

I wasnt born with Tweed Underwear you know. Image sock it to em..good bad or otherwise
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Jody, don't give'em any ideas about the tweed underwear. Smiley might show up at a show with 'em on!
Vann Ray Cranford

Post by Vann Ray Cranford »

Well, since I am new to the Forum and getting hooked on being able to communicate with all of you steel players out there, let me please add my two cents in about Mike Brown and Peavey.
I started talking to Mike on the phone back in 1999 with questions about Peavey products. I had stopped playing back in 1979, and was not up to date on the equipment.
Mike Brown is the reason that I still use only Peavey equipment. A company has to do several things to get my business. the company has to make a good product, have a fair price, and then stand behind their products with a good warranty and good customer service. It is really nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to a steel player about the Peavey products and get any questions answered. Mike Brown has always acted like he wanted to help with any problems that I may have encountered. Peavey has really done the steel guitar world a favor by hiring Mike.
Let me also say that I have experienced the same type of positive attitude and helpfulness from Keith Hilton when I recently bought one of his volume pedals.
So you guys please keep up the good support system that you offer to us steel players. Thanks, Vann
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Thanks for the compliments and support.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Nobody ever answered Greg's question, so I'll take a stab. I have a Peavey Nashville 400 ss amp (with the factory mod) that I use as a backup, and a Peavey Delta Blues tube amp that I sometimes use as a practice amp for pedal steel. But for gigs I use Fender tube amps. I have a Pro Reverb (60 watts, 15" speaker, 60 lbs.), a Dual Showman Reverb head (100 watts, 40 lbs.), a Vibrasonic Custom head (100 watts, 35 lbs.), and a Super Twin Reverb head (180 watts, 50 lbs.). I play the heads through one or two 15" speakers in separate cabinets.

To me the Peavey solid state amps sound okay at moderate volumes, but not at loud volumes on a gig. Also, even at low volumes there is a beautiful harmonic richness the tubes have in the lows, and a sizzling-sparkling texture in the highs. The ss amps just don't have that and sound cold and sterile by comparison. And they sound worse the louder you play.

Peavey gear is very good value for the money, and as a former Mississippian I would love to use Peavey's Mississippi made products. Peavey makes very good tube amps for rock guitar. I'm sure Peavey could make a great tube steel guitar amp, but they have decided the small steeler market will only support their solid state amps. Frankly, there are so many old Fender tube amps out there at good used prices (especially the silver face ones, which are really good for steel) that I can't argue with their marketing logic.

Frankly, Fender has rarely marketed things appropriately for the steeler market either. Except for the briefly made Vibroverb, Vibrosonic and Vibrasonic, they didn't make their great tube amps available with the 15" speaker steelers prefer. At some trouble and expense, I have solved this problem for myself by making the speaker replacement myself (Pro Reverb), or putting the amps in heads and using separate 15" speaker cabinets (which also helps with the weight problem). The best steel amp Fender ever made was the Super Twin Reverb, and some say they intended it to compete with the high power solid state amps Peavey was coming out with in the '70s. The STR has 180 watts of gorgeous tube tone (equivalent to at least 300 watts of ss power) and a switchable 5 band active EQ. But they put it in a combo with two 12" speakers, and it weighed over 100 pounds. In a head cabinet with extension 15" speakers, this thing is a steelers dream.