Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Byrd

Resonator versus Dobro

Post by Bill Byrd »

Are they the same thing?
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Yes.

Dobro® is a brand name just as Kleenex® is a brand name for tissues.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 12 July 2004 at 03:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Russ Young

Post by Russ Young »

Bill -- I hope I can keep this one simple ...

"Dobro®" is a brand name of resonator guitars (originally made by the DOpyera BROthers, now by Gibson), while "dobro" has become a generic name for wood-bodied, spider-bridge resonator guitars.

"Resonators" include "Dobro®s" and "dobros" as well as any other guitar with a resonator cone (or cones, as in a tricone). <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 12 July 2004 at 03:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Bednar

Post by Ron Bednar »

Yep. The Dobro was the invention of John Dopyera. It is a single cone with an aluminum "spider" bridge. It actually came after the tricone, which he also invented. They are both resonator guitars. All Dobro's are resonators, but not all resonators are Dobros Image The name Dobro is a trademark now owned by Gibson but the name dobro,(with a little g) has become a generic name for resonator guitars. How's that? <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Bednar on 11 July 2004 at 10:50 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Bednar on 11 July 2004 at 10:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Actually, since acquiring the "Dobro" brand name, Gibson is fighting hard to keep "dobro" from becoming a generic name for the instrument. They even wrote "cease and desist" letters to the bluegrass magazines, TELLING them not to use the name, unless the guitar in question had a "Dobro" decal on the peghead. To me, this cost them a lot of free advertising, but, at the time, NOBODY was playing Dobros. Jerry Douglas was playing Scheerhorns, Mike Auldridge was playing Guernseys, Uncle Josh had a Beard signature model----the quality of the "Dobro" guitars was, well, pitiful.
Hope I don't get sued. Image Image
Ron Bednar

Post by Ron Bednar »

The Gibson attitude has definately soured me on even the sound of the name and I rarely refer to a reso as a dough-bro, (safe phonetic spelling). They have the legal right and all to do what they want with their trademark. They BOUGHT IT for crying out loud...it's not like they created it! I agree that they are blowing away tons of free ad time and instead souring the very well they wish to draw water from, (to borrow a phrase from the Godfather). As far as quality goes, Gibson Dobro's aren't way up there on too many people's lists as a guitar to want for as far as I can tell. Some may differ with that observation, but those are my thoughts on it.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

The nicest thing about Gibson and Dobro, I think, was Tom Swatzell.

Resophonic is another generic word for it.

Geo
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Gibson currently has their collective head up their butts and/or has fallen under the spell of a coven of evil lawyers (isn't that redundant?). Along with the 'Dobro/dobro' nonsense they are currently suing Paul Reed Smith for having the temerity of making an electric guitar with a single cutaway.

------------------
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

The lawsuit business does seem dumb. And maybe Dobros weren't top quality for awhile. However, as far as I can tell the Gibson Dobro is the best roundneck, wood body, spider bridge resonator you can buy. I owned a roundneck Regal (the new Japanese/Korean made one) and Fender before deciding to cough up the cash for the Dobro. It's tone and volume, especially in the low range, is instantly recognizable as far superior. And the body joins at the 14th fret and has a single cutaway, which is extrememly desirable for slide guitar playing. I tune mine to open E, but with the cutaway I can easily use the slide at the A octave fret. So I have the two main blues guitar keys covered without retuning. For reasons I have never understood, none of the old traditional roundneck resonators and few of the modern ones have a cutaway. Gibson/Dobro had the insight to provide this feature in a high quality roundneck resonator. And the finish and appearance are gorgeous (mine is tiger maple red). <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by David Doggett on 12 July 2004 at 07:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Along with the Gibson-made guitars National also makes a spider bridge guitar and I believe you can get a roundneck on it. Not to mention Beard, Allen, Reuter and other custom builders.

------------------
Half-assed bottleneck and lap slide player. Full-assed Builder of resonator instruments.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Mike, back when I researched this about a year ago, almost all the other roundneck spider bridge resonators did not have a cutaway. National has a biscuit bridge with "bendaway" that had great singing highs, but poor lows.
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Ya know David I missed the cutaway part in your first post. I don't think Nat. will do the 'D' in a cutaway, I know Beard does though.
The cutaway Natioanal models are all biscuit coned guitars, which of course have a different overall tone from the spiders, but I get excellent bass response from my wood body biscuit cone guitars, and my vintage wood body National has tons of low end too.

------------------
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

Gentle men.... I brag about my Bragg. A home made inst, in the hills of WVa..Has great sound and tone and sustain. I prefer to call it "MY SOUPED UP HUBCAP" Stay clear of the ct. hse. I'll let anyone compare it to "what ever". I'll bet on my Bragg..

Play steel just for the sound of It..

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, +
Jim Florence

Post by Jim Florence »

One of the little known quirks of U.S. Patent law, and probably the reason for Gibson's attempt to stop people from using the word "Dobro" is that If the name of your invention gets into "Common Usage" of the language, such as a refrigerator being called a Frigidaire, or the starter drive in an automobile starter being called a "Bendix" , you are no longer entitled to patent protection.
Todd Weger

Post by Todd Weger »

To hell with Gibson. They apparently must only blow their noses with "tissues" over there. I won't buy anything from them that's been made recently. Seems they "won" with their lawsuit on solidbody single cutaway guitar shapes (re: the LP). But they LOST this purchaser of instruments. Kind of makes me hope Fender sues them for "copying" the Tele (single cutaway solidbody guitar shape), and forces them to stop making LP's. Just my .02 -- YMMV.

PS: love the term "coven" of lawyers. It's being a bit too kind though, don'tcha think?

:~)

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, E13, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, E13); Melobar SLS lapsteel (open D); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)

Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I was never impressed with Gibson stuff, although my oldest son has a Les Paul from the sixties which seems OK.( he doesn't play it any more, but wont let loose of it)
After being introduced to bakelites, frypans, and Stringmasters, Gibsons just don't do it for me.
BILL
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I have a DOBRO which I suspect was made by REGAL circa 1934. It is walnut veneer. I bought it back in 1942 (second-hand) and it appeared to be old even back then. The interesting thing about this guitar is the little (black) heart which is set into a white (plastic ?) background of the "crotch" where the round neck joins the body. I cannot recall ever seeing another DOBRO with a heart in that location. Anyone have any information on this particular model ? Image
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I perfer the term RESO but use the term DOBRO because that's the only one people know.

I've had calls from Producers asking for Dobro sessions, never Reso. They don't care what brand you're playing.

Just as I don't care what brand of tissue you hand me when I ask for a Kleenex.

My name's in the credits of a made for TV movie ('The Red Road") as "Dobro - Joey Ace'. You'd think Gibson would like that publicity, even though a differnt brand was played, never on camera. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 01 August 2004 at 07:55 PM.]</p></FONT>
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

All guitars played with the steel or the other bars are steel guitars , Some are electric, some are accoustic , I dont call mine a "Dobro" , I call it a Benoit

R. L. Jones ,my first steel cost $5.00
in 1940