Jbl K140

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brendan Mitchell

Jbl K140

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Hi
I just replaced the 2 * 12" speakers in a Pevey Renoun with a 15" JBL K 140.You may be aware that this is a Bass speaker but sounds OK to me but I have only played it at home and don't know how it will go in a LOUD situation.Has anyone had any experience with this type of speaker?
Regards Brendan
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

I tried one in a Webb amp (JBL K 140) I only tried it on E9th but I did not like it. It may sound better on C6th. Also, I may have to give it additional time because it can take considerable amount of playing time for a re-cone to break in.

------------------
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Don't worry, it'll do fine in a "loud situation". The fact that it's a bass speaker won't really be noticed 'til you get up in "Hughey-Land" on E9th. Image
Eddie Thomas

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Hello Brendan, I have a K-140, that I had reconed to the same specs as a D-130, and it screams. I have it in an Evans FET 500 and it's got a great tone all across the guitar. Each string comes out, just like it should. It is definitely a balanced sound. You may have to take the same direction as I did. Lots of luck, getting your sound.
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

Thanks for the heads up.
I will find out next Sat. night when I use it with the band for the first time.I was never happy with the 2 12's and started using a MusicMan 210 HD which I like a lot but sadly it just stopped working and until I can get it fixed I am trying out the Pevey again.
Regards Brendan
Woody Woodell

Post by Woody Woodell »

Brendan, I recone speakers and if you need it reconed as a 130 I will be happy to do it for you at no charge on my end if you will make a $100.00 donation to the FORUM. I know that my name has popped up on the FORUM more than once and I think it's about time I gave a little something back.
Woody Woodell
woody.33@netzero.com
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Hi Woody:

That is a very generous offer. Way to go!

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

To my surprise the JBL I used all weekend was a K130 reconed to be a K140.

I like it, and noticed no loss on the high end, and actually the Fender Pod models are a little bright, so if anything they fit better thru it. Also fits my 16k single coils well too.

It's sure hell for stout, and the price was right. Didn't notice more than a number's worth of difference between the 4 and the 8 ohm.

Played very loud, and I can't hear up in "Hughey Land" anyhow after running Cats, trucks and SHo Buds for too many years.

Actually I'm hearing a note that's about the 40th fret right now..... ( ringing...)

EJL