Jerry Byrd Health Status

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jack Byrd

Jerry Byrd Health Status

Post by Jack Byrd »

I just talked to Jerry and can update you on his present status. Jerry has not been feeling that good for the past several months and has been to several doctors concerning his problems. As many of you know he had only one real good lung for most of his life. I suppose this has caused stress over the years on his heart. The cardiologist said his heart is weak and has lost about 47% of its strength. He has had trouble breathing and has no stamina to speak of and tires out very easily. It takes him about 5 minutes to get up the stairs. He went back to the doctor this past Friday and they did more testing, blood work and x-rays. No results are back on those yet. Jerry called all of his students this past week and informed they he could not continue teaching them and probably would not be able to in the future. He is not able to drive either.

I know many of his fans are on this forum. Please keep him in your prayers as the power of prayer is very real and does work. I will keep you posted as I get more information.

Jack
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Jack
Please wish Jerry the very best for me. I know of no one that hasn't been influenced by
Jerry Byrd and admired him as a human being.

My sincere best wishes to a fine man and an Icon.

Jody
John Pelz

Post by John Pelz »

Thank you very much for the update, Jack. Your brother is an incredible musician in so many ways, and is very inspiring to this beginner. Jerry is in my thoughts and prayers, and, no doubt, in those of many, many others' as well.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Jack,

I just sent Jerry a get-well letter and card. I had a letter from him about 3 weeks ago and he didn't mention feeling bad. Jerry has always been a very private person and doesn't want anyone making a "big deal" over him -- but he is a big deal in my book, and he is a true class act.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Thank you Jack,

And yes our prayers are with Jerry. What many of us have learned from that man is more than we could ever repay. I love him more than I could ever tell you.

I make no bones and will stand on the statement I have made several times on this forum. He was and is the greatest Lap steel guitar player who ever lived or ever will live.

And his contibution to the steel guitar has NO precedent ANY where in the world. True the Hawaiians invented it and many Like Dick McEntire and Sol Hoopii are icons. But NO one, and I mean no could ever touch Jerry Byrd.

His contibutions to one of the world's greatest tunings speaks volumes to what this great man has done. He IS without doubt the true MASTER of touch and tone. NO player in history including Buddy Emmons has ever gotten the tone JB gets. It was a gift that was his alone.

Buddy Emmons' once told me, "that's where I got mine", when Jerry was playing on the stage at the ISGC, after I commented about Jerry's playing.

And those of us who were there KNOW what that tone was and is. His melodic phrases cannot be duplicated. Every note he ever played says something musically. His physical dexterity in his fingers and volume pedal closes the book on HOW it should be done.

He truly fulfilled two of his own musical prophesies:

1. There are two ways to play a musical instrument:

A. From your brain to your hands.

B. From your brain, by way of your heart, to your hands..

And....

2. There are three ways to make music:

Melody, Melody and Melody.

In addition, only one other player can come close to his ability to back up a singer; and literally become an extension of the singer's voice. And that player of course is BE.

And my heart is breaking for him as we speak. After I post, I will go pray for him. I will ask Jesus to heal him soon, and renew his spirit.

May Jesus bless this precious man,

carl
DeWitt Scott

Post by DeWitt Scott »

I just talked with Jerry and there is no change since his brother Jack placed his posting. Having no energy seems to be the worst thing for him and he doesn't have any pain or anything like that. Still no results from his doctor's visit last Friday. I'm sure that he misses meeting friends for breakfast from time to time and his daily trips to the post office. We will just have to wait until he gets the results of the latest tests. Scotty
Ed Webster

Post by Ed Webster »

If you send Jerry a card, be sure to enclose some stamps.....just think of ALL the letters, notes, etc. he writes in response to the mail he gets.....so include some stamps with your card.
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

I can sympathize with the kind of problem Jerry is having breathing. I have COPD (emphysema), and I am on oxygen 24/7 and all I want to do is lay around and sleep most of the time. No energy and no motivation is a hard thing to deal with. Hot places and humidity are our worst enemies.

My hopes and prayers are for his recovery. God Bless...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Jerry,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You are our mentor and hero.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

These so-called GOLDEN YEARS seem to be full of rust. Mary and I want to wish Jerry the very best possible during these "Golden Years" of his life. While I often stood in awe in his presence not knowing what to say to such a great musician, Mary always treated him as just another guy as they would talk cooking and recipes, etc. Well, in my opinion, Jerry is not just another guy, he is one super individual who has affected the lives of so many throughout his amazing career, not the least of which was mine. Our very best to you Jerry from Mary and myself.