Wincester Convention

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Doug Smith

Wincester Convention

Post by Doug Smith »

The 17th Annual Aloha international Steel Guitar Club Convention gets under way today in Winchester, Indiana. Gerald Ross and LT Zinn will kick things off with workshops today, and there will be performances Thursday through Saturday at the Willard School. Saturday evening is the luau and floor show. There will be music in the local restaurants and jamming at the motel in the evenings.

Some of the other steel players are: Isaac Akuna, Herbert Hanawahine, Duke Ching, Mike Scott, BIll Creller, Dirk Vogel, and Phil Bender.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Speaking of vibists, here's Tom Beckham playing with the Moonlighters (note my daughter doing the hula). It's a beautiful thing.
Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 07 July 2004 at 11:02 AM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Smith

Post by Doug Smith »

I don't recall ever hearing vibes at Winchester. There was someone who played a sort of electronic autoharp.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Mike, got the whole "enchilada" ... or would that be "lomi lomi salmon" ... goin' there.

The Moonlighters & Wahine would sure be a draw at any convention and/or Ho'olaule'a .

------------------
<font size=1>www.horseshoemagnets.com </font>
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Doug...Many years ago at the Winchester Convention, the late wife of Vern Eide played vibes on stage. I was asked to play vibes also, and she kindly allowed me to use her set behind a few acts. Vibes are quite complimentary to the steel guitar and Hawaiian music. I still putter around on my set of DEAGAN vibes here at home basically for my own amazement. Image
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hi Doug, What type of resophonic guitar did you use on "Jazzin' The Strings?" Seems to sound like a guitar with a metallic body.??

Roger
Doug Smith

Post by Doug Smith »

The guitar we used on Jazzing The Strings is my trusty 1928 tricone. I just dropped by the house to pick it up and head back to the convention. I wish you could have heard the sweet steel duets that Herbert Hanawahine and Duke Ching played last night in a restaurant in Winchester. Nahe nahe!
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Doug,

I would give almost anything to have been there with you precious folks. As I told Geral Ross, please KNOW I am sitting on the front row in love and spirit always,

May Jesus bless you and all the others who have kept alive what even the Hawaiians (at large) were letting die.

carl
Roger Shackelton

Mahalo Doug, I just knew it wasn't a wood bodied Dobro syle guitar. Those Tri-Cones have a warm, sweet sound all of their own.

I was planning to make the trip to Winchester, but didn't have any vacation time left for this year.

Haven't met Herb yet, but I have his CD. IMHO, he plays the best version of "How D' Ya Do" that I have ever heard. His "Whispering Lullaby" is also fantastic. Hope he attends HSGA 2005 in Waikiki.

Sounds like it was "Dueling Stringmasters" at the restaurant. Image

Roger

George Keoki Lake

Pass along my "aloha's" to all the olde gang...Bill Schmiedlin, Warren Slavin, et al. Wish I could be there as Winchester was always a very enjoyable bash ! Image
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I was hoping to make it this year, but finances got in the way. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next year! Image
George Keoki Lake

I can almost hear the music coming from Winchester. This is one convention which is always such a fun blast. Please give my regards to all the olde-tymers at the convention, guys like Bill Scmiedlin who plays such great steel, Warren Slavin and his nahi-nahi tone, and so any others who who attended the conventions during the late 80's. Image
John Pelz

Post by John Pelz »

I got home not too long ago from today's events at Winchester. I just want to take this opportunity to thank and congratulate all the wonderful players who graced the stage there! It was a gas -- and a privilege -- for <u>this</u> beginner to see, hear and learn from so many great performances. Going to Winchester has greatly whetted my appetite for Hawaiian steel guitar music. Thanks to all who played, and who made this special event happen. Image
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Just got back from Winchester yesterday. Once again it was quite an amazing experience. Here are some of my high points.

- As Doug mentioned above... Herb Hanawahine and Duke Ching's Bakelite Rick duets at the Chicken Shack restaurant on Thursday night. Many magical moments.

- Jamming at the motel with Isaac Akuna on tunes such as "For You And I", "Hawaiian Hula Eyes" and Isaac's 1000 mph version of "Honolulu March" with 3 key changes (you must become the Honolulu March in order to play the Honolulu march Image ).

- Successfully coaxing Ian Ufton to play the steel during the jam sessions and on stage. I will be posting two of Ian's tunes on the HSGA website this week! Stay tuned, you will be blown away. Ian will be at HSGA Joliet in October.

- Performing a full band arrangement of "Ashokan Farewell" during my Saturday set with Doug, Barb Kuhns and Floyd Alexander backing me up. Doug played it beautifully on Dobro.

- Almost buying two instruments. A mint Gibson EH-100 with mint tweed case ($425). A 9/10 Blue MOTS Magnatone with hard tweed case ($85). I'm kicking myself today for not grabbing the Magnatone.

- Seeing John Pelz catch the steel guitar bug.

- A free steel lesson from Phil Bender on the tune "I'm Confessin".

- Friday night jam in Doug's motel room complete with Chinese buffet (too much food, beer and wine), vintage instruments galore being passed back and forth among great musicians and friends. All this in addition to a ferocious Midwest thunderstorm complete with a million kilowatt lightning display and torrential downpour (free carwash time).

HSGA Joliet is a only a few months away!

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'
Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 12 July 2004 at 06:40 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

You are SO right Gerald, Winchester was a real great time this year.
Bill
Roger Shackelton

Gerald, I really don't know why alcohol, music and muscians alway seem to go together. You know how it goes, one thing leads to another. Pretty soon you guys are going to be snorting Mari-ja-wanna. Image

Roger
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Re: Alcohol at jam sessions

I appreciate the lightheartedness of your comments Roger Image. You've attended both Winchester and Joliet and have participated in the jams, you know the scene. I just want to clear up any misconceptions regarding alchohol for the folks who've never been to these gatherings.

I have attended both the HSGA and the Aloha International Winchester conventions yearly since 1998 and have never seen anyone abuse alcohol. Yes, there is always beer, wine and spirits at the jam sessions, but nobody gets drunk and disorderly. People will have one or two drinks to relax and get loose.

It's also hard to pound them back when you are playing an instrument. Typically you take a sip, play a song for 10 minutes, take another sip, etc. This is not a frat-house party.

------------------
Gerald Ross

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 14 July 2004 at 09:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Shackelton

Mahalo for the explanation Gerald. I don't think anyone took me serious. You are right, no one drinks to excess at the jam sessions. Everyone is very mellow.

Sorry to hear that Bobby Ingano had to miss this years convention, due to his trip to Japan. I am sure he was missed. Who was Bernie's navigator this time? ha ha

Roger
Gerald Ross

Post by Gerald Ross »

Yeah, too bad about Bobby not being at Winchester. It's one of his favorite times.

He will be at Joliet this October though.

------------------
Gerald Ross