FET's for ShoBud Amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Carl Dvorcek

FET's for ShoBud Amps

Post by Carl Dvorcek »

I've been working on an old ShoBud amp for months and through trial and error, finally got it up and running. The problem I had was trying to find replacements for the original SFC5865 FET's. I have several schematics that recommend a TIS 58 as a replacement. I couldn't find any so I opted for the NTE replacement. I looked at NTE's on-line cross reference and several NTE distributors whose listings all said NTE-132. Check it out. Well, I got some, installed them, and had nothing. I went from a distorted crackling sound, to no sound at all. Just by chance, I found an old ECG/NTE catalog and decided to look up the cross for a TIS 58 again. Well, guess what. The catalog said NTE-312. I bought the 312's and they work beautifully. Whoever did the data entry for NTE's on-line crossreference must have been dislexic. Patience and perseverence prevails once again.

J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

This is great news! And I thank you for posting it. I had several of these great amps and consider them the best for pedal steel. But I had heard that the FETs were unavailable.. so, I was a play as long it does kind'a deal... now, with your info it's again even more fun to sound "sweet to the bone".

Thanks! ... J-D
Graham Bland

Post by Graham Bland »

Carl,

Thanks for the post!!!

So many people don't realize that FET's are the ticket to get that TUBE sound.

Jim Evans & Derrell Stephens found that out years ago. To bad their successor can't or won't understand.
Chick Donner

Post by Chick Donner »

If you have an EARLY amp, change the input (gate) resistor from 22 megs to 10 megs 3 pct.