Keybaaord amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roxie Klaus

Keybaaord amp

Post by Roxie Klaus »

Have any of you tried using a keyboard amp ( Roland, etc.) on pedal steel? How did it sound?

R.E. Klaus
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I have tried the one made by Fender. It's a big amp, but doesn't have enough tone controls, and it didn't have any effects, like reverb, either. (Apparently, keyboard players are't the "tone slaves" that we steelers are.)
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Roxie, I recently tried a Roland keyboard combo amp in a music store with my S12U Fessy. It was clean but sterile sounding. No character. Donny is right that there was not the EQ flexibility one wants for steel. I think keyboards are made with fairly balanced tone, so they don't need to monkey with it much. Also, I think it didn't have compression. Keyboards have very even attack and sustain, so they don't need compression like a steel does (to smooth out the volume and save speakers). Finally, at 70 watts (which is a big keyboard amp) it didn't have the power steel needs (not for volume, but for clean head room and pumping the volume pedal for sustain), so I would have had to buy two of them. Hope this helps.

Check out a post of mine on the Line 6 Vetta 200 watt amp head. If I were buying an amp right now I would seriously consider it because of the power, clean head room, tube modelling and FX all in a single lightweight package.