1968 Fender Vibrasonic Reverb -- Value?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Kirk

1968 Fender Vibrasonic Reverb -- Value?

Post by Alan Kirk »

Anyone know the value of a 196X Fender Vibrasonic Reverb with two JBL D-120F-6 16ohm speakers?

Oops! I meant "1968"
------------------
And, yeah, there's been some sawing to get the two 12" speakers in there.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Alan Kirk on 06 March 2003 at 04:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brett Cookingham

Post by Brett Cookingham »

I Have a Pair of '62 Brown Vibrasonic's both with 16 ohm JBL D-130's one was $1800.00 the other was $2400.00 The more expensive one is all original including handle and cover.I bought both of these from stores so I paid more than the "real" value of the amps(+15 to 20%)
The "Vibrasonic" came with 15" JBL D-130-F's or JBL D-130's. 16ohm with the 45550 output transformer and then later with 8ohm (don't know the # of the output transformer). They were never made with 2-12's(that I know of )The amps are not very loud but they do sound good with an old Push Pull and/or esquire custom. There is a Vibrasonic @ www.gbase.com. (it's a dog) for $1200.00

check Ampwares.com for more info on this Amp

Brett Cookingham <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Brett Cookingham on 06 March 2003 at 03:58 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

A Vibrasonic with two 'twelves'?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Cabinet "hacked", and 2 JBL speakers? $1100 tops.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Can you confirm the date of this amp? And the spelling of the name--Vibra- or Vibro- sonic. And what are the cosmetics--is this indeed an early 60's brown like Brett's or is a 70's silver face? How many power tubes?--The 70's Vibrosonic reverb is a 4 X 6l6 amp---Brett's is, I believe a 2X 6l6?

There just seem to be some contradictions in you name/date on this amp. It's also ironic that if it is indeed a 70's SF, for all the Twins I've heard of that were converted to a 15" speaker (basically a Vibrosonic Reverb) this would be the first Vibro-Reverb I've heard of to be converted into a Twin.

You can do some Fender amp ID research here at the Fender Field Guide--
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html
Brett Cookingham

I also have a 70's Vibrosonic w/15" JBL D130-F. Thats a great soundin' amp too! You should put a 15" JBL D130-F in that thing and play it! Or if it still has the "Blue Molded" Foil/Oil Caps in it, and original transformers I'll give ya' $500.00

Peace!
Brett Cookingham
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

Jon,

I took another look at the amp.

It is a Vibro, not a Vibra

It appears to have been recovered with a really nasty color of brown.

Control panel is silver with blue lettering

Grill cover is black, but since the speakers have been changed, that many not mean anything.

The back panels (protecting the tubes and the reverb) are missing.

The JBLs are blown

SN A44021

4 6L6 tubes

Transformer has two numbers on it: 022897 and 606827

I plugged it into another speaker, and the amp works, although it's pretty sickly. Probably needs, at the very least, new tubes.

------------------
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Sounds to me like a 70's Vibrosonic reverb that's been re-covered and re-speakered. If it is the amp I know (and have) then it also has a master volume with pull-boost. 135W. In good condition, with the JBL D130F I've seen them going for $700-900. Mine had messed up grill cloth and also had an awful re-cover job, and it needed caps and tubes. Purchase price plus tech work was around $750. Sounds great but still needs some tech assistance.

What you describe-----well, see Ricky0ne1's Fender TR Chassis F/S in Buy & Sell. If yours were in good working condition, you could compare its value to this Twin chassis. Not the same but ballpark similar.
Brett Cookingham

That amp sounds like it might be Worthless!!

OUCH!!!

Peace
Brett Cookingham
Chris DeBarge

Post by Chris DeBarge »

The Vibrosonic Reverb was made from '72 to '81, so the date's wrong anyways. Sounds like a basket case/parts project. Unless you're into refurbishing amps I'd pass on it. BUT, if you can get it cheap enough...
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

Chris,

What's cheap enough?

So I've got a sick amp in a cabinet with no speakers. Would it be worth it to revive the amp, put a 15" JBL in there and use it for lap steel?

How would something like this work (with a 15") for bass?

--Alan Kirk

------------------
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

If there's nothing radically wrong with the electronics then you have some serious potential.
Start with around $200 for a cap (capacitor) job and new tubes & bias.
You can save a heap of $$ by thinking of a Black Widow instead of the JBL---there are some testimonials here that even prefer this choice---
You can get a baffle from a number of sources. Ask and they can be listed.

I'd say that if you some confidence in the basic integrity of this wreck (I know---how can you tell?...it's a tough call)
then if you can get it for around $200 you have a shot at a great score when you're all done. Yes, you could spend more and still come in at a good price but you have to factor in the uncertainty, the gamble. There's no warranty here to cover your risk.
None of this addresses the cosmetics.
Alan Kirk

Post by Alan Kirk »

It appears the amp, itself, isn't is sick as I thought. I plugged it into some other speakers and it seems to be working okay.

So how much are a couple of blown 12" JBL D120F-6 (grey with orange label) speakers worth?

I'm thinking if I put a 15" JBL bass (not guitar) speaker in this thing it can do double duty for lap steel and bass. Am I crazy?

Jon, thanks for all the info.

------------------
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

I have a Vibrosonic w/JBL 15". I have AB-ed this w/ Evans, Peavey 400, and Lab Series Amps. It is so sweet! AND it is plenty loud, just don't sit too far from it. The hell with cosmetics; just get a 15" full range JBL, new tubes, and let 'er rip. I don't recommend a bass 15" speaker, you'll lose the top end. I paid $350 for the amp 2 years ago (the JBL was blown and it needed tubes).
Tyler Macy

Post by Tyler Macy »

I recently sold a grey frame orange (fender) labeled BLOWN D120F on ebay for $100 +ship.

The frame was very clean.

There is big demand for these speakers, even if they need rebuilding.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Forget using it as a bass amp! Open-back cabinets make sucky bass amps to start with, add that to the fact you're thinking of using a JBL bass speaker? Nope, that speaker will be blown (just like the old ones), in very short order. Without the damping and efficiency of a sealed enclosure, you're just asking for trouble using that as a bass amp.

If you do buy it, and want to fix it up (for steel use), spend the $200-300 and get it professionally re-capped and re-tubed. Then get, or make yourself, a new baffle board and add a 15" B/W, or an SRO (if you can find one). You might be able to get $75-$100 for the two blown JBL's you have.

Because you may have to invest $300-$450 (and a lot of work), to wind up with a decent amp, you shouldn't pay over that amount to buy the old amp.