Stereo Steel Amp ?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Poteet

Stereo Steel Amp ?

Post by Billy Poteet »

What Are your Thoughts on the Stereo Steel amp? I am looking to upgrade my amp system.

Billy P.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

I love mine! Image If you'll do a search for Stereo Steel, you'll find many comments. Here's one thread to get you started.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/000888.html

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@attbi.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden D-12 (coming soon)=-
Stereo Steel rig w/Boss GX-700
IVL SteelRider w/JV-880

Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

The Stereo Steel has my vote also!! As Jim said, there's been a lot of discussion on here about them. You don't see many used ones for sale so that says a lot in itself.

If you can make it to the Dallas show next month you'll be able to test drive one. Thats probably all it will take!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Sidney Malone on 13 February 2003 at 07:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I am a happy owner/user of the Stereo Steel System, as are many of my friends here in the Southwest. I love the sound, and have never regretted getting it. And Gerry Walker is a good guy.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

If I didn't play a Webb I'd be playing Walker Stereo Steel setup. Temendous sound with great customer support. A real quality product.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

During my career I have had the opportunity to own or play through most of the tube and solid-state amplifiers sold, and without a doubt the Stereo-Steel is the best sounding amp of any I have ever used. In my opinion, it is the "consummant" steel guitar amplifier.

...and I say all of this even though Gerry Walker rides a "Goldwing" instead of a "Harley"! Image www.genejones.com
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Acceptable.
Billy Poteet

Post by Billy Poteet »

You mean like this one?

I hope I get an image?

if I don't Sorry

tried but no soap.

Billy P.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Poteet on 13 February 2003 at 10:14 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Poteet on 13 February 2003 at 10:15 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Poteet on 13 February 2003 at 10:17 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Poteet on 13 February 2003 at 10:20 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Poteet on 13 February 2003 at 10:33 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Billy Poteet on 13 February 2003 at 10:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

The only down side I've found about them is the increased amount of stuff I have to load in/out (I quickly found I needed to add a dolly to my load in/out system), and increased the actual setup/breakdown time.

I've chosen to leave mine setup at home permanently, and have gone to 2 small combo amps and an RV-3 for on stage (this way I still have a pleasingly lush stereo sound on stage).

One of the combo amps has casters so I wheel them both in at once (eliminating the need for a dolly), then carry in my steel and seat.

It just felt like too much stuff to continually load in/out, setup/break-down,
twice!... because I would have to load it in/out, setup/down at my house too, after the gig.

But they sound great!!!
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Pete, thats exactly why I stopped playing a rack system.
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

I have had my stereo steel setup for about 4 months now. I also have a pair of GD's ported cabinets with 1501-4 BW's in them. I spent alot of time learning how to tweek my Boss VF-1 to find some reverbs and delays that would complement the whole system. The VF-1 is my first multi-effect unit so, I swear, you can get lost in those units for days. I now really like my setup now. I also have 2 N400's, one with the LeMay mod, and now I don't have much desire to play out with the N400s. The Walker unit is so much fuller and sweeter sounding. I have to agree with Pete though as far as it is more to haul around. I bought a SKB rotocase (4sp) for my system. I mounted a power strip inside and put 2 1/4" jacks on the outside of the rack on the back to feed the 2 cabinets. I also put one of those square computer power sockets that you would see on the back of a PC on the rack too. One quick power cord powers everything and the 2 speakers are equally as quick. I also have a Hilton volume pedal and I put the wall wart for that inside the rack and put a 1/4" jack on the outside up by the front of the rack, so I just have a short 1' cord that powers my Hilton pedal. I think that when you lug all this stuff around, you have to make it quick and simple to setup and tear down. At the recommendation of many of the other forumites, I purchased a rock-n-roller 4 wheel cart. It makes loading and unloading much easier. My wife says I have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). I think she's right.
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

For my steel, Stereo Steel rig, and MIDI rack, I use a convertible 2/4 wheel dolly. I put my steel on bottom, stack my packaseat, two rack cases, and speakers on top, and away I go. These days I'm too weak to carry even my steel very far, so this works great, and I can do it all in one trip!

I wish I had sprung for one 30 years ago when I was using standalone amps. I try to forget the days of carrying my steel in one hand and my Session 500 in the other, and still had to make multiple trips.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Hi Bill, been playing the Stereo Steel rig for a few years now... The Combo amp is loaded w/lots of nice features...I use a pair of 1501-4SB speakers in cabs I designed and built myself...for fx, I use a Boss SX700 spatial processor, but I had to program all the patches for steel...if you're not into programming, I think Gerry offers a processor that has several patches that he has programmed for steel. I love having the fx mix control on the front panel...many other features I'm sure you're aware of.
Yeah, sometimes it's a pain having 2 more pieces to carry, compared to a single amp [plus steel and seat] so it's one more trip to the truck...but it's really lightweight [especially when compared to my Mosvale rack]. I also have a Lemay NV 400 that I use if space is limited or just don't feel like messing w/the extra pieces....
Bottom line for me....great, totally
quiet, stereo sound.....features galore....product support from Gerry...no way to lose on this one.

Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

I bought a used Stereo Steel amp/preamp head off of eBay a while back. I modified a pair of 12" open-back cabs to take 15" speakers (new baffles). I put a 1501 BW in one, and a 1502 BW in the other. I use a GP 100 for effects. Gerry was extremely helpful with information, manuals, etc., even though I didn't buy the unit from him. He even offered to check it out for me at no charge! This rig is louder than you could ever want, and it is clean, warm, clear, and BIG. Even though it can peel paint, it sounds great at low volume too. It is loaded with clever, sensible features, particularly the implementation of the effects loop. It is set up with its own sends and returns like on a mixing console. You set your effects 100% wet, meaning your direct guitar signal doesn't get compromised by having to pass through your effects unit. This is the way Groove Tubes does their Solo amps, and IMHO it is the way all maufacturers should do it. With a lot of amps you have to work to find "a" tone. With this, you can find more than one great tone. It is one of those amps that brings out every drop of sustain your guitar has. It also sounds great with just one cabinet if you are short on stage space. Believe me, you won't even think about the fact that you have to carry an extra piece or two. And the upside of that is no one piece is all that heavy. BTW, the SS steel head weighs 13 lbs.... Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tommy Detamore on 14 February 2003 at 07:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

<SMALL>I bought a used Stereo Steel amp/preamp head off of eBay a while back.</SMALL>
So you're the guy that beat me out on that auction! Image I was looking for a backup, even though I probably would never need it. Image
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

A friend of mine Jerry Hendrix, a great steel player,in Manistee, Mi. had a stereo steel and a nashville 400. He used to play with Buck Owens when he was in Bakersfield befor he got famous.

I played his guitar using the Stereo Steel and it was just the greatest sound I ever heard me play. If I was still playing and about 10 years younger, I'd have one.

But, you know what,Just like Pete Burak says, Jerry always took the Nashville 400 every week on the job and left the Stereo Steel at home all set up for his enjoyment.

The sound I heard with it, is worth the lugging it on the job. It is really not as heavy , to carry broken up in 3 pieces....al Image Image Image
seldomfed

Post by seldomfed »

Let's see;
. a light weight rack
. 2 little speakers
. a pac-a-seat
. a steel
= 5 little things

Do you guys whine this much when you load in the PA and lights too? Image

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"There is no spoon"
www.seldomfed.com

John Hawkins

Post by John Hawkins »

I have played through Gerry's Stereo Steel Combo (IE : pre amp ; amp ,Digitech Studio Quad 4 effects unit ; two tuned cabinets loaded with 15 inch Peavey Black / W speakers .)for 5 years now and I am convienced that you cannot find a better Stereo Steel system . It has fantastic sound , more punch than you will ever need , it is the best user friendly combo that there is , and Gerry will give you the best after sale service you can get anywhere --if you need it . I have never had the first minutes' trouble with anything about his system . I have had numerous people tell me the sound that it puts out is the best they have ever heard . Gerry is a fine Steel Guitar player in his own right and has built this system for the Steel Player . All the things needed for the recording studio , stage gigs or just plain jam'n are built into this system !!!

Jim Smith is a very good source to listen to also, as he has played Gerry's system for probably longer than I have and I agree with all he has ever said about how good it is .

I would highly recommend that you invest in this system ! You will like it-- I can almost guarentee !

Good luck

John

Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

Hey Chris?...

How's that Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 hangin', Bro? (to the left?) Image.

Ts McDonald

Post by Ts McDonald »

Aw, come on, John, if you can "Almost Guarantee" that someone will "Like" the "Stereo Steel System", then I will "Back You Up" by "Guaranteeing" that anyone who plays "GD's", aka, "Gerry Dog", System will absolutely "Love It"!!!!! As you know, Jim Smith came and took me from the "TSGA" concert hall to look at the "System", and he and I bought one that day about three years ago, which "Reece" immediately took and played that day during his "Performance", sounding "Fantastic"!!!!! I personally am "Waiting With Bated Breath" to see "GD's" Beautiful Face" Image in about two/three weeks @ "TSGA". HE Builds A "Fantastic System", as well as, being a "Fine and Gifted SteelPlayer" in his own right!!!!! Despite what "Jerry Fessenden" says about him!!!!! Right, J. Palenscar. aka, "Doc"!!!!! Thanks, Image

------------------
Ts Image

John Hawkins

Post by John Hawkins »

Tom ,

I have you to "blame" for me owning one of these systems but after playing it for the first 5 minutes , all I can do after 5 years of playing it, is thank you for steering me in that direction .

It is wonderful system as you know !

Thanks for your input on the forum . Maybe I can meet Gerry in person for the first time if my trip to Dallas holds together in March.

John<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Hawkins on 16 February 2003 at 12:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

I haven't heard anyone mention Price yet?
Is it expensive?
Thanks
Gene

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)

John Lacey

Post by John Lacey »

Here's a price quote I got from Gerry a while ago. "Well, The Combo amp head is $775. With Black Widow loaded cabinets, its $1300. For JBL's instead of BW's, add $200. To include a Digitech Studio Quad 4 digital processor, add $400. These prices include the shipping."
Sidney Malone

Post by Sidney Malone »

I think the price is very reflective of the tone, features, workmanship and support by the builder himself.

There are cheaper systems to be had and in my opinion they are priced about right when comparing them to the Walker Stereo Steel.

I'm not trying to degrade any other amp, it's just from my reasearch in playing through nearly every popular steel amp, I find the price vs. value on each amp is about right.

To be more straightforward, I think it's expensive and well worth it!!