What is the proper set-up to use with a tube amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Skip Keane

What is the proper set-up to use with a tube amp

Post by Skip Keane »

Hey guys, I need some help. I want to use an older tube amp with my Sho Bud Professional and am wondering what add-ons should I use. What effect pedals would aid me in getting the best sound through a tube amp. Match box, chorus ect.... What? What do you use? any suggestions !!! Thanks, Skip
Tyler Macy

Post by Tyler Macy »

I play a shobud through a twin, and the only effect I ever use (other than the amp's reverb) is a delay pedal. I have an old boss DM-2 analog delay set for a short repeat to simulate some room ambience. You'd be surprised how many steel recordings have delay on them, even though you don't really notice it.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Skip; that Professional will sound just fine without anything in line from guitar to amp. However; I always suggest either a Hilton volume pedal or an active Goodrich volume pedal(H-10k or L-10k) and George L cables.
Reason is; a volume pedal can deteriorate the clear sound from the guitar and bad cables can do the same.
If you want to hear what a Shobud through a Tube amp sounds like with nothing in line...than go listen on the "Music and Video" section on my MightyFineMusic.com Website
Have fun.
Ricky
sylvainvallieres

Post by sylvainvallieres »

for me,my professional got a best sounding with a machtbox 7a in a Fender Twin and I got a twin with two 12'' and one with a BW 1501-04,and for effect it's like a hot-dog,some with mustard and some with ketchup,just the reverb in a twin is a good effect
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes the Matchbox is basically a Buffer...so there is not signal or tone loss from the guitar to the amp.
That is exactly what a Active Goodrich and Hilton Volume pedal does....except you don't have to have an extra item to do it.
yeeeee haaaa.
Ricky