Amp question for Mike Brown

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I hear your requests, and everyone seems to have a different idea about a steel guitar tube amp. We know that not everyone will agree on the same features and power, so the best that can be done is to combine the most important features with sufficient power for live performances. More R & D will be required for this subject. I'll have a Forum questionaire posted soon. Please answer and resubmit for future projects. Thanks for your input.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Most will agree that the Fender Twin and/or 1959 Bassman was a tough amp to beat for tone. If Peavey can duplicate this tone it would be great! An improvement would be a little more clean power. And a component system to make it more transportable.
A personal justification for the tubes being seperate from the speakers is to eliminate speaker vibration to the tubes? I played through a Fender Super Six for about a year and got tired of replacing tubes. My theory was; the tubes were being prematurely broken down from the cabinet vibration.
So, I would prefer to have a tube preamp and power head.
Dennis
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Two thoughts. What about using a digital switching power supply to cut down on the amps weight? You would still have the weight of the output transformer to contend with, however.
Also, the cleanest tube power supply for PA and steel is the 6550 tube. I repaired and tried out an old Aimes amp with two of these tubes and two 12" alnico speakers. It had the tone that beat every Fender amp I have ever worked on in my shop or owned! Gerald Weber mentions this as the cleanest tube power supply in his book on amp repairs.
I agree about the Mace amp above. It was a hybrid amp. Transistor frontend and 6 each 6L6GC tubes. I had one with two-12" BW speakers, it was a killer steel and guitar amp for me. Molley Hatchet and the Leonard Skynard groups liked them as well!
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Have ya'll not tried the Classic 50? Serious volume and the tone is pure tube. If you need more out, the PX300 works...that's why Peavey chose to kill it, so if you can't get one, 2 Classics are the tits. I recorded with the 4X10 for years and had never gotten around to playing a 2X12....I just switched...them 12's got it happenin'! If you use just one, yes, you can do a BW speaker change to get that seriously clean thang. Somehow I feel from reading alot from this forum, that you guys don't actually own or have owned one of these amps....they kick and have my personal favorite 'tone tube'....the EL34. Twins, to me, don't have the 'feedback' and 'reaction' because of the 6L6's. Just too hard sounding. By the way, alot of the sweetness and most of the benefit of tubes, comes from the power section....not just a 12AX7 in the front end....although, even that is waaaaay better than just running a solid state everything. I've been 'copping out' this way for awhile, but, thanks again to Peavey, I'm about to change that situation.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

"the PX300 works...that's why Peavey chose to kill it"

Jeff,

In English? Image

bob

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Let me explain about the PX300 powered extension cabinet. This product was originally designed as a mate to the Session 2000 so that you could get the full benefits of the stereo effects of the Session 2000 processor. However, the PX300 can be used as a powered extension with any amplifier that has a pre amp output jack. We still have some of these left, but when they are sold, there won't be anymore of them. So, if you wish to purchase a PX300, contact your local authorized Peavey dealer. Here is a link to our Peavey dealer locator;http://www.peavey.com/support/dealerlocator/

The PX300 uses the same cabinet, 300 watt digital power amp and 1501-4 ohm Black Widow speaker as the Nashville 1000 amplifier.