New to the forum and know less than anyone and..

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Byrd

New to the forum and know less than anyone and..

Post by Bill Byrd »

...I've got tons of questions. This is my first post. I bought a guitar on ebay last night and there's no telling when I'll actually have it in my hands. So I don't even have one to look at. I'm 58 y/o. I took steel lessons for a few months when I was 14 or 15 y/o. At the time steel was not cool (except for Sleep Walk) so I laid it down. At my age you start counting all the mistakes you made. I'd give anything if I had stayed with it. The guitar I bought last night is exactly like the one I had, a Fender Champ. I remember almost nothing about how to play. My teacher had his own method. Maybe it was tab and I just didn't know it or maybe he invented his own way. Finally my first questions: Is tab for a six string, non-pedal the same as dobro? Are all pedal guitars 8 or more strings?
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

Well you got the right last name, pilgrim.

Ron Bednar

Post by Ron Bednar »

Hi Bill,
I'll leave your questions to the guys that know. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say I am glad to hear you've decided to get back into it. We are the same age and I just started last year. Back when, I was a drummer and had always wanted to play guitar...finally decided to. Congrats on the Champ, I was watching that auction, looked like a nice guitar. I'd recommend you find a teacher, that's the easiest and fastest way to get going. Have a great time!
Chuck Fisher

Post by Chuck Fisher »

oh yeah, on your questions:

tab is written around which TUNING is being used. (there is some basics on tunings at Brads Page of Steel website) C6 E and D are common om your Champ. Some folks use G (like most Dobro) There are many more.

There are 6 7 8 10 12 14 string pedal guitars, and non pedals up to 12 strings are around, 6 7 and 8 being most used
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Bill,

You should do well as a musician. One of the best guitarists ever was another guy named "Billy Byrd". He played guitar for Ernest Tubb for several years, and everyone thaught he was just another 3-chord country player, but you should have heard him in a jazz jam session. The Gibson Guitar Company put out a special jazz guitar a little over 25 years ago called the "Byrdland" guitar. The "Byrd" part was named after Billy, and the "land" part was from Hank Garland's last name -- and the name fit well with the famous jass night club by the same name.

In my opinbion, the main thing to keep in mind as you start up that ladder of musical training is as follows: If you want to play any instrument but don't enjoy the actual learning process, you will never make it. You must be able to get a thrill every time you learn even the smallest new thing about the steel. Say to yourself, "Wow. Look what I just learned." Just keep after it in that way and before you know it you'll be right in there with the rest of us. Many a student has fallen by the wayside because he or she wanted to play, but didn't necessarily want to learn.

Select a simple tuning to begin with -- one for which there is a fair amount of trainiung material. The more complex tunings will come easier after you have learned enough on a simple tuning to play a few actual songs. Some of these guys on the Forum can give you some good advice as you go along. Get to know some of them through emaiul and telephone. Most of them who aren't overloaded with travel, gigs, record sessions, etc. will be happy to help you as long as they know you are serious about learning.

Good luck with your new venture into the fascinating world of steel guitar -- and you're never too old to learn.
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Bill
If you learn to play like the fellow that has you same name we will all admire you . if your not familiar with whom I'm talking about , you can see and hear him on the Jerry Byrd fan club web site , it is offered by one of our members - Ray Montee - his web site is www.jerrybirsfanclub.com {If I have that wrong I'm sure Ray will redo it } welcome to this wonderful Forum , there is more Horse power here than you can ever want -and any question you may have will be answered by some real pro's ! Mater of fact you have just talked to some of them { my self NOT included } Your in the right place Bill ! ;]
enjoy Bob
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Last edited by Jeff Au Hoy on 19 Jan 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Hmmmm..I wonder, could Bill be related to another Byrd who plays steel ? Image
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

THANK YOU "BOB" and "JEFF". Much appreciate your thoughtfulness in mentioning the JBFC site. Hopefully our new member will enjoy what the site has to offer newbies and old hands, alike.
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

"Who's Jerry Bir?" you ask !! I know for a fact that he is not the guy on Rays Website -Thanks Jeff -- sorry Bill - you cant get away with noth'n around here !
Bill Byrd

Post by Bill Byrd »

"In my opinbion, the main thing to keep in mind as you start up that ladder of musical training is as follows: If you want to play any instrument but don't enjoy the actual learning process, you will never make it. You must be able to get a thrill every time you learn even the smallest new thing about the steel." Thanks Roy. These are very helpful words.