Evans Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Francis Chamberlain

Evans Amp

Post by Francis Chamberlain »

I was told that Evans has a great sounding amp that weighs only about 39 pounds. I would like to have more information on this. Do we have anyone out there that has one and can tell us about it?
Gary Goodman

Post by Gary Goodman »

I have an Evans (250 watts of real clean sound) But I think it weighs more than 39 lbs tho not near as heavy as a fender twin.

I play a LDG Sho-Bud and I am constantly getting compliments on the great sound I have.

I also have a fender twin, peavy nashville 400 and a peavy Vegas 400. My Evans beats them all. I swear by it. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gary Goodman on 18 May 2002 at 10:01 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gary Goodman on 18 May 2002 at 10:03 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Francis, I played thru a new small very light weight Evans amp at the Emmons booth in Dallas and it sounded absolutely great. I am sure this is the model you are referring to. It is a great amp but I don't recall the model number except it is a new high voltage model and weighed much less than my older LV500 and was as compact as could be. You can get this amp from the Emmons company.
Jerry
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Evans FET500, Peavey 1501 Black Widow, long tank spring reverb. Hard to beat.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by chas smith on 18 May 2002 at 02:10 PM.]</p></FONT>
Steven Knapper

Post by Steven Knapper »

If you are speaking about the new SE150 Evans I can help a little. Have had it for about 4 weeks come Monday. I have to stay away from home from Monday to Friday due to some medical problems, I stay with my Daughters family in San Juan Capistarano, that is where I leave the Evans because of the headphone jack (they have a 2 YO). I come home here to Temecula on the weekends where I have my Nashville 400, and I gotta tell you there is a very BIG differance in the sound. BTW, the SE150 is 150watt and about 40 lbs., the SE200 is 200watt and I don't know the weight. When I am home on the weekends, where I can play with the volume up, etc. I can really tell how different those 2 amps are. The Evans is not inexpensive, but I think it is worth every penny, the Evans is crytal clear and clean, I find my Nash muddy but it is 15 years old. I find the combo of the Evans amp and GFI guitar hard to beat. My 2 cents.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

I've been using an Evans AE100, which has a single 8"(!), and it's been able to hold its
own in a small band/small room environment. The guiarists are running single-12 combos, and the bass player a SWR Redhead (two 10's, around 300 watts). I've also added a single
12 Celestion outboard at times, and the amp still seems to have headroom left. I'm sure
it would have trouble in a more demanding environment, but I haven't found it yet.

It's probably worth pointing out that there's a logarithmic relationship between power output and volume. Doubling the output power raises volume by 3db. An apparent doubling
of volume is 10db, so to double your volume you need 2x+2x+2x to add 9 db! This may help explain why folks used to be able to get acceptable volume with less than mega-power amps.

Fascinating topic...
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, to double the volume of a 100 watt amp, you need a 1000 watt amp.
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

My Evans FET500 Custom LV weighs in at
around 57lbs.
Eric Jaeger

Post by Eric Jaeger »

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand
>it, to double the volume of a 100 watt
>amp, you need a 1000 watt amp.

Yep, that's right. So the volume difference
between a 100 watt and 200 watt amp would
be almost impossible to hear (I think 1db is the smallest volume change you can hear).

Of course, we're ignoring speaker and cabinet efficiency here. Anyone who's listened to a Klipschorn will testify that 5 watts can make a room uninhabitable :-)

IHMO, over the years we've gotten used to all the lucky distortions introduced by speakers flapping in untuned, open cabinets and preamp and amp circuits that overload and distort in special ways. Most of us have discovered that electric guitars of most stripes sound absolutely horrid through a completely flat and undistorted chain. So, did the sound we like happen by accident? Did Mister Leo know what he was doing when he pulled those circuits out of old RCA tube handbooks, and intentionally create that tone, or did it just happen to turn out that way?

Jerry Hedge

Post by Jerry Hedge »

From what I've read,the people that were "field testing' the first Fender amps dreaded seeing Leo Fender coming thru the door of their gig. I've read that he would change their amp settings while they were playing! He went a lot of trial and error to come up with the part values he used. It looks like he was pretty successful!!!
John Russell

Post by John Russell »

For the past year or so, I've been using a rack rig with a power amp outputting 120 watts into 8 ohms. The speaker cab has an EV 15, is a closed back design with ports in front (bass reflex type). This rig has been adequate for any size stage or band I've played with. Now, I've not yet sat in with Garth, Shania, etc. so it hasn't been put to the real test of hi-volume "hot country." Probably will never be anyway. This rig has real ear-bleedin' volume, enough for me and I don't want any more.

When I don't need this much volume, I use my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe: 40 all tube watts into a single 12" speaker, open back cabinet, long tank reverb. I add EQ and delay (pedals) and this rig has the best tone I've ever gotten.

That said, the Evans amps seem to have the best combination of tone and weight. If I were starting out again, I'd probably go with Evans.

--JR