I use a..................

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky0ne1

Post by Ricky0ne1 »

Try this: 1973 SF Twin w/JBL D-120's, and just for measure.. Fender Tone Ring Cabinet w/JBL D-130.. all orange baskets... and the sound?... Oh Baby Image Image
Rick
Dave Robbins

Post by Dave Robbins »

Projecting a "clean" sound is what I'm talking about and specifically for steel(don't forget the C6). If you're into a "gritty" sound then the choices may once again vary.

This is the Steel Guitar Forum, which is what I was "specifically" referring to in my experiences (45 years of 'em), although it is not limited to steel only. I know many play both steel and guitar and consequently may need a compromise set up. And there are those who are also into the "slide" sound (which I'm not, if I'm going to "slide" anything it will be the Dobro)). Niether can I speak for guitars or those who aren't into getting as clean of a sound as possible specifically for the "pedal" steel. I have not found a tube type amp which would give me a clean enough tone without being harsh or gritty sounding and have enough power to project it cleanly (again, don't forget C6!). Sorry! I just can't agree. I'm not here to push Peavey, it's just that Peavey provides the clean power I need and does it efficiently and with out costing an arm or leg, or require that I lift weights to carry it. I think the market bares forth.

I will agree that everyone has their "preferrences", as I stated before. And I re-iterate that it isn't what you use but how you use it.

Dan,
as for "voicings?" If that is your preferred choice of words, so be it. You basically said the same thing I did in referrence to mid range, etc, otherwise. Oh, and in reference to Tommy's Web, the middle position of the selector is designed to give the "hybrid" sound. Where as the position to the left (facing the amp) is designed to give a "Fender type tube sound" (which no one I know of uses this position) and the opposite position to the right of the middle is designed to give the old "Session 400" sound (of which myself and some others at the Opry use) ref: George Moore, Antioch, Calif, who basically designed and built the Web for Jim, along with John Cambell. George himself told me that the Web started from the wiring diagram of the Session 400.
Aside from that we have our "usual" differences. Some say "To-mah-toe", some say "to-mae-toe," Me? I just say 'mater! Image

Dave