What else do I need?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

lockpick1

What else do I need?

Post by lockpick1 »

I am wanting to play along with music tracks and record the same, and also have a fairly portable setup to move around easily. What I have so far is a Phonics MM1805X 14 channel mixer (rack mounted), a Peavy Ultra Verb II and a Marantz PMD 220 recorder. I would like to add to what I have by adding a rack mounted amp and am looking at the Alesis RA-100 which is 100 watts per channel. I would also like to get a rack mounted double well cassette player/recorder such as a Marantz. In addition I am setting up a synthesizer with the setup. I don't have speakers other than my Peavy 400 guitar amp. Price is always a concern however I don't want to go really cheap with what I do purchase as I want it to last for awhile. Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated as I no relatively nothing about electronics. Thanks, STEVE

------------------
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Hi Steve,

Sounds like the first thing you need is a sound system. Your tracks aren't going to sound very good coming through just a guitar speaker. Since you already have a mixer you should consider a power amp and speakers. The Alesis RA-100 is a pretty good amp, and you can probably find one really cheap, but there may be other choices, too. To record tracks and guitar you should send a signal from your guitar amp to the mixer, then use an aux send (or other bus) from your mixer to the tape recorder. You'll probably need two tape decks, too.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=-2>
Emmons Push Pull S10 | Peavey Session 400 | '52 Fender Lap Steel | Goodrich L120 & Matchbox
</FONT>
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

The Alesis RA-100 is a very good choice. I use one in my rack stuff. Drivin' it with a Profex II as a pre-amp. Image
lockpick1

Post by lockpick1 »

What is the difference between and amp and a pre-amp? STEVE

------------------
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Your pre-amp shapes the tone and the power amp amplifies it. Combo amps, like your Nashville, have pre-amp and power amp and speaker. The Alesis is a power amp; it has no tone controls. The pre-amp has tone controls and effects loops. The effects loop is where you'll patch in your UltraVerb, unless you want to use it in a loop on the mixer.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=-2>
Emmons Push Pull S10 | Peavey Session 400 | '52 Fender Lap Steel | Goodrich L120 & Matchbox
</FONT>