Speaker distortion?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Erv Niehaus

Speaker distortion?

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I never noticed any problem when playing the E9th neck but recently I took the big step and started working on the C6th neck. The problem I noticed was when I hit a big, fat strum on the C6th, I detected some distortion with my speakers. (kind of a rattle). I use two separate, open back, speaker enclosures with 15" Peavey 1501 speakers in them. I have an idea that the speakers are flopping back and forth enough to cause some distortion. What think ye? If this is the problem--how to remedy? Would closing the backs of the enclosures help? I own a set of PA enclosures with 15" Peavey Scorpions. I tried my steel through them and didn't seem to have a problem. These are closed back. I would appreciate some input!
Thanks, Erv
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't think the open back is the problem. The Nashville 400 and 1000 are "open back" units and both use the 1501-4 speaker.

How old are the speakers and what have they been used for before? Maybe the speakers have a problem?

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Ditto to what Jack ask. Otherwise, there shouldn't be a problem playing C6th tuning through these cabinets.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You'll maybe think I'm a real dufus. After I posted my topic, I did a little more checking. I switched some cords around and would up bypassing my Goodrich Match Box. What do you know--the problem disappeared. I think the key to the problem was bad batteries in the Match Box. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I guess we learn by trial and error. Thanks guys, Erv
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

That'll do it, Erv.
It's a NASTY sound that gets NASTIER as the batteries deteriorate.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro