6 string Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim K

6 string Amp

Post by Jim K »

Each music store I go to has their own specific amp (favorite) brand. I haven't bought a guitar amp in 30 years, but have a yen for resurrecting that 335 Gibson tube sound, that used to come out my 75 pound Ampeg. Could I get a few suggestions on mfgrs that make a tube sounding amp, weighing 30 pounds max., and that is small in size, probably for home use only. Or is this an impossible request? Thanks for your help...jim
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

If it's for home use only, why the weight restriction?

In any case, I'd go for a Fender Deluxe Reverb -- original BF if you can afford it (if you haven't looked recently, the prices may shock you). A reissue would be the next best thing. Some of the small Mesa amps are great too. Those would be 'medium price' suggestions. When you start getting into the 'Designer Amp' market, the sky's the limit, pricewise.

If you want a tube sound, go for a tube amp. I don't think anything else will really fill the bill.

Just my opinion.

------------------
<small>Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 05 September 2001 at 12:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

I'd opt for a silver-face DR from the 70's, with point-to-point wiring than can be easily fixed or altered, over the reissue that has PCB's and no "vintage vibe". Silverfaces are about 1/2 the price of original blackfaces with very similar circuitry and sound.
Michael Holland

Post by Michael Holland »

Larry's right. The only thing that will deliver the "tube sound" is a tube amp. In the 'modern vintage' category I think the Mesa Blue Angel is great. It uses 'progressive linkage', which incorporates two independent sets of power tubes; 2 6V6 ala old small Fenders and 4 EL84 ala VOX and bigger Mesas. There's a switch to use one set or the other or to combine both. And it's a real vintage style amp; it's a single channel amp (with spring reverb) and it doesn't have a master volume. They come in 1-10, 1-12, 2-10 and 4-10 models. It's probably going to weigh more than 30 pounds, but can you really put a weight limit on tone?

------------------
<FONT SIZE=-2>
Emmons Push Pull S10 | Peavey Session 400 | '52 Fender Lap Steel | Goodrich L120 & Matchbox
</FONT>
ajm

Post by ajm »

Also, don't overlook a Princeton Reverb if one pops up. The mid to late '70s one with the pull boost are OK, and have the same circuitry as the older ones when the boost is not engaged.

The Deluxe Reverbs are a great choice (that goes without saying). My personal current favorite at the moment is the Fender Hot Rod series. I played a Clapton Strat through a HR Deluxe a couple of weeks ago and was in heaven.
LARRY COLE

Post by LARRY COLE »

Try the Carvin Nomad with 1-12 or the Belair with 1-12s. They both have EL84 tubes and two channels and sound great. I have the Nomad and love it, plus it is light. It sound good with my Carvin TL-60 Tele style or my Les Paul Custom. They are ceaper than a classic or reissue.

------------------
LC. WILLIAMS U12, SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60

Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

I concur wholeheartedly with those who recommend a good old Fender Deluxe Reverb. They are hard to beat for tone with a 335 Gibson. Another great-sounding Fender amp for this purpose is the black-face Super Reverb (4-10's). That would be my personal favorite. A well-adjusted Super Reverb will set you free, man.

Tim R.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Jim K.,
You might want to check out the Peavey Classic 30, which is one of our best selling small, lightweight(39.5lbs.)amp. You may check it out at; http://www.peavey.com/guitaramps/classic_30.html

There are over 16 guitar amps that are all tube type in our product line and over 35 years of designing tube guitar amps. I think that you will find one of our amps to fit your playing style. If you have any questions concerning any of our products, please feel free to give me a toll free call in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Customer Services
Jim K

Post by Jim K »

First, Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Here's the skinny. I'm moving around often, and I'd like to have that sweet warm tube sound in 30 pounds or less with reverb. My budget is $500. Possible or ?????? jim
Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

Get another old Ampeg. They sound terrific. Do not compromise if you like it. A 335 through a well tuned Ampeg sounds righteous.

------------------
Steels and Guitars. Emmons, Nationals, Dan-O's, ES 340, Tube Amps only! "Blue Sparks From Hell" and "Kings in DIsguise".

Michael Frede

Post by Michael Frede »

A good one that I like is the Fender Blues Junior.It's compact,15 watts Class "A",12 inch speaker and has reverb(although not as good sounding as a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb unit).I paid $225 for mine used and is about 32 lbs.