Any market for a Hilton dual action pedal?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mylos Sonka

Any market for a Hilton dual action pedal?

Post by Mylos Sonka »

Robert Thomas, a member From: Mehama, Oregon, posted the following this morning:

"Herby, I have used a Bigsby volume and tone control pedal for over 50 years. Does Hilton make a pedal that incorporates tone also? If so I might consider trying one."

Following up on his posting in Herby Wallace's string in the Buy and Sell section of the Forum.... I'm in the same boat as him, roughly speaking, as to the Hilton pedal. Keith Hilton does not presently make such a pedal.

I use midi and steel, and found a Bigsby that someone had converted to a dual volume (one instrument up and down, the other side to side). I use midi steel side to side and regular steel up and down. That way I can mix a taste of midi horns into my section work, and when I am playing with a sax and trumpet I can fatten up the horn section unobtrusively.

I would love to be able to do the same with a Hilton pedal, but we are a minority of users and I fear that there is not enough market to make it viable-- although Fender and Bigsby both felt there was enough volume to warrant production.

I would suggest you write Keith Hilton an email or two as I did. Maybe if there is enough interest he will eventually get around to a limited production run. Wouldn't hurt, and he is a nice enough guy and obviously dedicated to the steel guitar community.

You can't expect anybody to work for nothing-- although being musicians, we're all used to doing just that! Seriously, though-- I am therefore starting a Forum string on the subject, just to run it up the flagpole. Maybe there would be more interest than we expect.

Would any other forumites be interested in such a product?

Mylos
Eric Stumpf

Post by Eric Stumpf »

A few months back Keith and I exchanged e-mails regarding this very subject. I can think of no one more qualified to design a modern Vol/Tone pedal that would be reliable and of high quality.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

I would buy one no problem no questions asked.
I love my Bigsby vol/tone; but it changes the sound of the guitar way too much(not really that bad)> so I end up running the hawaiian steel into the bigsy pedal than out and into the Hilton pedal than out to amp. Running the Bigsby pedal through the Hilton; does clean up the sound quite a bit and the preamp in the Hilton is great for boosting back up the signal that is lost through the Bigsby; but I need a Hilton Vol/Tone pedal to be the ideal situation.
Keith????? Come on pal> you know what ya gotta do.
Ricky
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

I am glad you brought this subject up again. I do understand that some would like a pedal that could alter tone with a side to side moveable top. I will try and do some thinking on this subject. I have been real busy of late.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Cool Keith. Hey man take your time pal>But hurry up Image Image Image Image
Really> what ever you come up with my brother; will for sure be super great.
Ricky<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 13 June 2001 at 10:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
Frank Venters

Post by Frank Venters »

I'd have a check ready to send to Keith to buy a tone/volume pedal. With today's electonics, It would be twice as good as my two Fender Volume/tone pedals. Sleep on it Keith, I think you would have a few buyers here on the forum.Well, maybe more than a few.