No-Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Judy

No-Amp

Post by Judy »

I'm tired dragging amps around on gigs!!! (a double neck psg is heavy enough)- even if the amp I prefer to play on stage is not very big.
Does anybody know about a sound module (maybe a multi effect) that can provide several good sounds? - Maybe in combination with a speaker simulator?
Glenn Austin

Post by Glenn Austin »

I use a line6 pod into a Vegas 400 for guitar with the pedal steel plugged into the steel channel.Either I'm going to turn the vegas into a head and cabinet, or get one of those new plastic, powered wedge monitors from Mackie or Yamaha.I'm curious tohearwhat they sound like. The Pod doesn't sound as good as plugging directly into the amp,but when you're playing for drunks!....
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Hello Judy,
I suggest that you check with your local authorized Peavey dealer. Some dealers still have the Peavey Tubefex or Transtube Fex in stock that features a built in tuner and over 30 effect types that can be programmed in any order.

Check out the operating guide at our website. The address is "www.peavey.com"
You can also read the features of the Transtube Fex. However, if you have questions, my E-mail address is "mikebrown@peavey.com". I'll be glad to assist you.
John Russell

Post by John Russell »

Interesting concept!

I recently read that John McLaughlin, jazz/fusion guitarist who's played thru a few different amps in his long career is now playing into some type of Yamaha pre-amp/processor with NO amp. His signal goes to the house system and comes back to him via the monitors.

I gotta believe than in this hi-tech modern world, we're on the verge of some type of breakthrough that will spare us of the cumbersome amplifier as we now know it. Several major amp manufacturers now offer modeling amps (including Fender). Speaker design has come a long way in the world of home stereo and PA applications. Of course, the trouble is, there's no huge market for steel guitar research and development. Peavey and a couple of others are the only ones who try. But I believe a cure for the back-breaking combo amp is imminent.

JR
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

JR- I hope so!.....al
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thanks folks for your interest! More optinions are very welcome!!
Mike, I will contact you for sure. By the way I'm using a little Peavey "classic 30" on stage. Before that I was trying several multi effect modules and played directly into the mixer (Mackie). Volume and monitoring was/is never a problem; I also like the various sounds from warm and clean to heavy distortion.(Ok, I know some of you will think what's that crazy German chick...but the psoobilities for the pedal steel are so tremendous...and besides my own C&W band I play in a rock band and a show band)

Judy www.thestetsons.com
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Hello from Berlin!

last week I played through my POD connected to our band's PA-system. I think it sounded pretty good. I never was fully conviced of the POD's capabilities, but lately I came to think that it might be mostly a matter of getting used to it. A PA system gives you a completely different feel than an amp behind your back. Besides you also can use an in-ear-monitoring system. The best invention since coloured toilet paper, IMHO Image

Just try to talk you local dealer into lending you a POD or Johnson or whatever for the weekend. I'm pretty sure you'll find something that meets your needs.

------------------
martin abend my homepage chicotarde@web.de
s-10 sierra crown gearless 3 x4 - fender hotrod deluxe

Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

Now if that's not a sign of the times: here's a man in Berlin sending a message to a woman in Mannheim, Germany through a server in California, and in English yet! And it's being read by (among others) a guy on the Canadian Prairies!

------------------
Don Walters
Carter D-10, 8p/6k
Session 500 with Lemay Mod

Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

If I had to go it without an amp, I would use a POD. You would need a very decent PA and monitor system for this to work.

The Yamaha 'POD-like' pedal is also supposed to be very good, as is the Johnson.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Steve Byam

Post by Steve Byam »

I have been using the POD for about three months now. We are in-ears, and I use the Black-face Twin amp for my steel settings.Have not used it for recording yet, that will be another test.Very user friendly...Steve byam
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I've used my Transtube Fex directly into the PA and directly to the board for recording and it works great. I set the 600 Ohm/XLR output speaker simulation on two 12" speakers.
Terry Downs

Post by Terry Downs »

I have never played steel direct, but I have been playing guitar direct for years. I use a Digitech 2101 Studio Tube. I have purchased and returned most units available and have always went back to the 2101. Everytime Digitech came out with a new model, I would buy one, get very dissapointed, and send it back. The 2101 Studio Tube is very clean and quiet. I play through the monitor system with at least 400 watts of power in most places.

I have been thinking about going back to an amp for a while just to see what I have been missing. I'll let you know what I find out.

------------------
Terry Downs
http://nightshift.net
terry@nightshift.net

Judy

Post by Judy »

It seems that many "steelers" are using the TubeFex or TransTubeFex as a pre-amp. What else do you use besides the pre-amp. - Any more "nick-nacks" to enhance the sound or is everybody satisfied with the on-board effects? Do you find it hard to write new patches?
By the way.. Thanks, Mike for your email.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Judy,glad to assist you.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

The Pod becomes much more usable in a live situation when the Floorboard is attached. It has built in volume and wah pedals, along with preset/effect switching. Now if we could just get Line 6 to make a version of the Floorboard with the pedals on the left, instead of the right, so that I could slide that under my steel.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I only use an amp for my monitor at the Church where I play. I go through a Digitech 2112 into a BBE direct box / sonic maximizer, into the house system. We have a splitter sysem with 6 separate monitor mixes, one of which is for the Bass, Lead Guitar, and me. I sometimes needed to hear myself a little louder so I use a Peavey LA400 sitting right beside me. My son is the house sound engineer, and he knows what the steel should sound like, which helps a great deal since I don't control the final EQ.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

And if a Digitech 2112 is what you decide to go with,I know of one for sale W/ ControlOne!