Essential Listening

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Martin Schmidt

Essential Listening

Post by Martin Schmidt »

Ok, I practice, but I want to listen too. What are the most essential steel CDs out there?
Here´s what I´ve been listening to:
Gary Brandin (it´s his fault that I have to practice all the time, he´s great!!!!!)Friends of Dean Martinez
Buddy Emmons Steel Guitar Jazz
Speedy West Stratosphere Boogie
Jimmy Bryant
and a few samplers (Hawaiaan Steel Guitar Classics and the Lapsteel sampler from this site)
So I´d be grateful to get some new inspirations.........
Terry Farmer

Post by Terry Farmer »

"Steel Reflections" - Bobby Ingano, "Slide Show" - Cindy Cashdollar, and all Volumes of Tommy Morrell's "How The West Was Swung". You won't be disappointed!
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Cindy Cashdollar - "Slide Show"
"Legends Of The Incredible Lap Steel Guitar"
Jon Rauhouse's "Steel Guitar Rodeo" (have no idea who this is, but it's great fun and has some incredible playing).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

All the above, plus any / all of Jr. Brown's CD's; Not only because he's a great Player all-around, but also for his "genius" at voicing-"tricks", ...particularly his use of very tasteful extension note voicings / passages, in lieu of and on top of many of his songs' simple triads and tone movements; ...and his authentication of "craziness" that adds spark to the enjoyment of music; ...and his use of repertoire that authenticates the dynamics of mixing seriousness & classic Steel in with his craziness in such a pleasant / exciting way that's so important in performances (in the right circumstances to do so).

DT~<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 09 May 2004 at 08:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

A good one that's been making the rounds on my CD player lately is "12 string swing" by Reece....but be forwarned-it's a very humbling expierence!

Jay
John Pelz

Post by John Pelz »

I've got a question about the above-mentioned "How The West Was Swung" series by Tom Morrell: are all the albums in this series strictly non-pedal, or only certain ones (such as the "No Peddler"-themed albums)? If the latter is the case, which albums are non-pedal? I've got Volume 9, "Son of No Peddlers Allowed" and I've been listening to it a lot lately. Also Milton Brown's "Daddy of Western Swing" and Byrd's "Polynesian Suite." Great stuff!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Pelz on 10 May 2004 at 10:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Santo and Johnny on vinyl if possible . There is a best of on cd although it's a bit thin sounding.
Milton Brown and the Brownies w/ Bob Dunn on steel . I got my cd at Elderly Instruments.
Billy Jack Wills w/ Vance Terry .
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

John, I beleive all the steel is non-pedal on the Time Warp Tophands series. Every one a gem! Also don't miss out on Vance Terry with Jimmy Rivers on the "Cherokee Cowboys" CD, and Joaquin anywhere, but especially "Tex Willams on the Air" and Spade Cooley ("Spadella" is a great one). A couple of my current faves are Jim Murphy and Cindy Cashdollar's work on the new Asleep at the Wheel "Hang up my Spurs" from the Cracker Barrel collection, and Fankie Blandino on the new Mark Erelli Cd, "Hillbilly Pilgrim".

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Martin;
are you looking for stricly non-pedal? Or essential Steel guitar of any kind? seeing as you have Emmon's SGJ album listed I'm wondering...
wanted to check before I chimed in with my choices
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Although there is some non pedal and some resophonic playing on the Steel Guitar Air Show by Jon Rauhouse on Bloodshot, and Joe Goldmark's All Hat No Cattle on Hightone, they are primarily PSG but play unique and great music.
Joe interprets some very untypical material ( Otis Redding , Grateful Dead, Philly Soul , Bob Seger etc. ) in his own stylish way. Jon is the instrumentalist/accompaniest for alt/country songbirds Neko Case and Kelly Hogan. As previously posted Gary Brandins playing with The Vanduras and Blue Hawaians is pretty inspirational
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Off the top of my head ...

Hawaiian:
Andy Iona & Dick McIntire: Cumquat Records
Jerry Byrd: Steel Guitar Hawaiian Style
Made in Hawaii: variuous artists
Bob Brozman & Led Kaapana or Bob Brozman & Cyril Pahinui
Sons of Hawaii: see Mele.com
Barney Isaacs & george Kuo: Dancing Cat records

Surf/Noir/cinematic:
Gary Brandin: Vanduras, Blue Hawaiians: Sway
Bruce Kaphan: Slider: Ambient Excursions for Pedal Steel guitar

World Music:
Harry Manx: Dog My Cat
Ry Cooder & Manuel Galiban: Mambo Sinuendo
Bob Brozman: Dig Dig & others. See bobbrozman.com
Debbashish Battacharya: see amazon.com
Ry Cooder & vishwa Mohan Bhatt: A Meeting By a River

Americana, pop/rock, etc.
Ed Gerhard: House of Guitars
Cindy Cashdollar: Slideshow
Dwight Mark: Good Thing
David Lindley: Twango Bango series; El Rayo Ex Live!

Blues:
Freddie Roulette: Back in Chicago
Sonny Rhodes: Good Day to Play the blues; the Blues is My Best Friend

Western Swing:
Joaquin Murphey: Spadella!, Tex Williams: On The Air.
Noel Boggs: Very Best of Noel Boggs (amazon.com)
Herb Remington: Bob wills - The Tiffany Transcriptions
Hillbilly Jazz: Vassar Clements, Doug Jernigan, others.
Asleep at The Wheel: Western Standard Time; Tribute to Bob Wills
Tom Morrell: all are good. I especially like Pteradactyle Ptales Vol. 4 and Wolftracks (Shanachie)

Other essentials:

Buddy Emmons: amazing Steel guitar
Sacred Steel: Arhoolie & Rope-a-dope releases

Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Well since you asked:

Sol Hoopii

Andy Iona Collection

Dick Mcintire Collection

Jerry Byrd Collection

A004 thru A021 ... although A015 isn't one of my fav's ...

Tom Bradshaws collaboration with JB(using his personal records) produced 5 FANTASTIC cassettes ... A017-A021

Hey, its just money !!!

------------------
<font size=1>www.horseshoemagnets.com </font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 12 May 2004 at 07:32 AM.]</p></FONT>
Michael Devito

Post by Michael Devito »

As far as blues go, let's not forget Hop Wilson's Houston Ghetto Blues. That's the vinyl title; CD may have a different title. This guy's no technical wizard, but I love his simple, soulful playing on the stringmaster, and his vocals.
Martin Schmidt

Post by Martin Schmidt »

Hi Dave,
basically non pedal, but I like old fashioned pedal steel, too. I play two Fender 6 string steels, a champ and a champion, so I´m looking for inspiration, classic songs and licks.
And thanx to all the other guys, I have to talk to my bank, if they can give me a loan to buy all these CDs........