Which speaker cab with a Dual Showman?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Cliff Swanson

Which speaker cab with a Dual Showman?

Post by Cliff Swanson »

I just followed through on my previous post and have acquired an early 70s, non-master volume, Fender Dual Showman amp head that I'm going to use as a steel amp. Now I need to find a suitable speaker cabinet. I'm leaning toward a D-130 based on comments made about their tone in the Twins and Vibrasonics, but I want to consider others as well before deciding. I'd appreciate hearing opinions and comparisons of the JBL, BW, EV, and Eminence 15" speakers. Tone is obviously important, and I'd also like to keep the total weight of a cab under 40 lb if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Cat<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cliff Swanson on 07 December 2000 at 04:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

We all have different ideas about tone. However, I had a Dual Showman with a 15 inch D130 JBL and it was about the best tone for me.......al
Tele

Post by Tele »

actually you'll need 4 Ohms..that means 2x15" cabinets !!! But according to many posts you could live with that mismatch. I have a D130 in my Twin and if there's any loss in tone and power I can't hear it.

Andy
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

The Black Widow would be a good choice for this amp, because they are readily available in 4 ohm.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

The BW is about the best if you're going for an impedance match. I think D-130's or even E-130's sound better. I have also written here before about using 2- 6550's instead of 4- 6L6's. This gives you an 8 ohm output(don't forget to change the grid resisters). With a D-130 the output is around 70 watts and the sound is glorious.