Amps for Steel - things we like in them

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Amps for Steel - things we like in them

Post by Ricky Littleton »

All:

Kinda doing a little survey for a project of mine. I am very interested in how we (steel pickers) view our amps, what we like, what we would like to see, and what we could do without. The list following are some things I am interested in for your opinions and views. I invite e-mails of comments and more detailed responses if you like. My email is: AVIelectronicsservices@yahoo.com. Many, many thanks for your help.

1.) Reverbs - springs or digital

2.) Current amp EQ's

3.) Power output - what is needed and what is wanted.

4.) Tubes or solid state

5.) Cabinets

6.) Speakers.

7.) Maintainability

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ricky

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Alesis Microverb
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ricky Littleton on 08 December 2000 at 03:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Littleton

Oops! Double posted.

Sorry. This one can be deleted

Jim West

Post by Jim West »

I posted this in the "Bar Chatter" forum. It will give you an idea of what I like.

---------------------------------------

I just received my new GD Walker amp/preamp a couple of days ago with the JBL 15" cabs. All I can say is the sound is incredible! My Zum never sounded so good! I traded in my GDW preamp that I used in conjunction with a QSC power amp with EV 12" cabs

All the electronics (amp/preamp, MPX1 and Korg tuner) occupy a four space case and can be quite easily carried as opposed to my previous system with the QSC amp which weighed a ton! The GDW uses a toroidal power transformer which keeps the weight down and the power up. This makes it really nice when haulin' it around. The speaker cabs are small and light weight also which makes the whole package very managable.

I could of purchased others amps for less money but I'm glad I went the GD Walker route, it's packed full of tone.

Jim West
Zum S-12, Carter "LowBoy" S-10, MSA D-12 and GD Walker amplification.
Fred Murphy

Post by Fred Murphy »

I would like to have a 300 watt stereo amp w/150 watt in each channel in stereo or 300 bridged. 1 15 inch JBL, with output jack for the separate 15 inch speaker cabinet. A mono and stereo line out for recording or PAs. An earphone jack for private tuning and one for live and earphone at the same time. I would like it to look and be about the same size as the new Peavey 1000, and sound about the same but with a better sounding reverb, and built in delay and chorus with external knobs. Of course I want it cheap Image.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Ricky, I deleted your duplicate post.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I want "Black Album" to "Chalker" tone, and everything in between! I want really big power! I want to be able to make it sound like everything from the footpedal bass on a B-3, to Roger McGuinn's razor-sharp electric 12-string! I want good jacks...hand wired. I want knobs for everything...no "digitally programmed" crap that I'll have to call some guy in Tupelo to get the programs to set. I want a 6-8 band + or - 20db graphic equalizer along with the standard bass, treble, and middle controls. I want the reverb to sound like Carnegie Hall, not like I'm in the restroom in a stadium! And, I want a tone control on the reverb. I want a digital, or analog delay with no presets. I want TOTAL analog-type control of every function...I don't want it "voiced" or "programmed" by someone who doesn't know what I like! I want a built-in stand that will hold it at any angle, and elevate it too! I want retractable wheels that won't rattle. I want at least 2 AC jacks for accessories. I want a 12' power cord. I want a speaker that weighs 10 pounds and sounds like 2 fifteens in a big cabinet.

Now put it all together in a Twin or 1000-sized cabinet and have it weigh no more than 60 pounds.

(I'll be by tomorrow to pick it up! Image )
ToneJunkie

Post by ToneJunkie »

Sounds reasonable to me!

------------------
Robert Hicks - Fessenden S12U
Home Page: http://www.members.home.net/tonejunkie
Email: rhhicks@home.com

KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

I would like to see Peavey put out a Vegas 1000,with two channels,digital reverb/delay,and a 300 watt digital power amp, like the Nashville 1000.Also maybe a Artist 1000,with two channels and all tube circuitry,spring reverb with a tone control.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

I'd like an original Session 400 re-issue OR a Session 400 with a dual foot-switchable tone setting. Not in two different channels, just to be able to switch from one tone setting to another.
A Peavey with two separate amps and speakers in one package would be nice. Heavy, but nice.

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Donny, how much would you want to pay for an amp like the one that you described?

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 11 December 2000 at 02:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ricky Littleton

Just a bump back to the top.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Good question, Mike! Personally, I wouldn't pay over about $2500. But with 30-watt "boutique amps" now bringing over three grand, someone else might pay a lot more. Considering that "hand made" is usually more expensive than "automated high-tech", I do think that an amp (built mostly on an "automated" line) should cost less than a (hand-built) guitar. Wouldn't you agree?
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Hey Mike Brown,How about the RENOWN 115?A group I once played for,the lead man had one.Killer tone.Excellent amp.