My Nashville 400 has partly died

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Barber

My Nashville 400 has partly died

Post by Rick Barber »

My Nashville 400 was intermittently distorted . Now it is all the time regardless of drive level. Just wondered if others have had this happen.

I'm going to tear it apart and fix it. I suspect it may be the power supply or a preamp IC that gave in.
I really like the amp though.

If I run out of time , any Peavey repair centers in the San Jose Calif area??
Rick Barber
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Just to cover all your bases, here is a page of tips from John LeMay at his Miracle Audio site--
http://members.aol.com/miracleaud/repair.html

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Two things to check. 1. Turn the reverb control off (to 0) and see if it still does it. If the reverb is causing the problem, it's probably in the molex connector. Unplug the connector and spray it with contact cleaner and reconnect it.

2. Is it the amp or has the speaker blown. Try the amp with a different speaker or try the speaker with a different amp and see what happens.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Good advice, Jack! Image
Rick Barber

Post by Rick Barber »

Thanks . All good things to try first.

Rick
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Rick;
If none of these suggestions work, try this:
Re-soldering the connections, (or have a technician do it). I have an old LTD that gets bounced around in the belly of the bus. About once a year I have to re-solder all the connections on the circuit board. Over the course of time they just seem to vibrate loose.
Be careful!

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

All good tips. Thanks guys.

Rick, you may locate an authorized Peavey service center at "www.peavey.com". If you need further assistance with the repair of your amp, please don't hesitate to contact me here at the factory. I'll be glad to assist in any way. I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391 in the U.S..

kirk allred

Post by kirk allred »

get rid of that peavey and get an amp with some tone!!!
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

Seems like I've heard this statement on another post about a Peavey Nashville 1000 that was soaked, but is performing flawlessly after it has had time to dry out? Hmmmm....
Rick Barber

Post by Rick Barber »

Mike, here's a note of support:

Peavey fixed me up with a schematic instantly. I wouldnt part with my Nashville 400. I have punished my amp with lots of travel and rehearsals and plenty of high volume outdoors. I even use it twice a week at church when playing nylon string acoustic guitar through it.

My cat even likes sitting on it ---- I guess that makes her a Nashville Cat. And she would only sit on amps that are delivering good tone ;-) .

Thanks Peavey for providing products for steel players and for providing affordable products.

Sincerely
Rick Barber
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

<SMALL>get rid of that peavey and get an amp with some tone!!!</SMALL>
Kirk,
Is that the reason that a lot of people have
changed from a "well known" Steel to other brands?

I rest my case......... Image
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Tone, as is individual taste in guitar brands, is highly subjective and like noses everyone has one and everyone has their own thoughts on what sounds good.

However, last Tuesday after the show a couple came up to me and almost floored me. They told me my sound was the best steel sound they had ever heard. They said they had been in Branson this summer and to Nashville several times and they pay particular attention to the steel guitar and my sound was better than anything they had heard in Branson or Nashville! Later, the bandleader told me they had told him the same thing. I was using my Nashville 400 with the factory tone mod, and my Franklin with the Lawrence 710 pickups.