Right Hand Technique

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Martin Schmidt

Right Hand Technique

Post by Martin Schmidt »

I wonder, if I´m the only guy, who plays with a flatpick and two fingers (no fingerpicks). Are there any other guys, who play that way and what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of that style?
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Didnt' Tut Taylor play with a flatpick?
nick allen

Post by nick allen »

I believe James Burton plays dobro with a flatpick and one fingerpick on his middle finger (same way he playes regular guitar).
I think Junior Brown plays his GuitSteel with flatpick and fingers (or fingerpicks?).
And yes, Tut Taylor definitely plays dobro with a flatpick.
Nick
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Freddie Roulette and Jimmy Rivers play with their fingers/no picks <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Ruddell on 03 May 2004 at 07:56 AM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Zynda

Post by Andy Zynda »

You sir, are not alone. Per Danny Gatton's blazing telecaster technique, I also play wiht a flatpick, and my middle & ring fingernails. Allows for unparalleled speed.
I use this technique on electric/acoustic guitar, banjo, and steel. (My nails cant take the damage, so I get acrilyc extensions, and some funny looks from people...)
-andy-
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Junior Brown!
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Years ago in South Carolina, I had just gotten a nice push-pull and a Webb amp, and I was playing at a festival with my shiny new stuff and saw a fellow in bib overalls, barefoot, playing a Maverick with a flatpick and just tearing it up. That was one of many incidents that made me realize "it ain't about the gear"...

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com