Encyclopedia of Licks

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Martin Schmidt

Encyclopedia of Licks

Post by Martin Schmidt »

Hi, I´m new to the forum. I´m a professional guitarist(Rock, Blues, Surf, Country) and I started playing lapsteel last year, after hearing Gary Brandin from the Vanduras.
I worked through the Basic C6 book from Scotty and bought some more books from him and also the steel guitar course from Jerry Bird, but I´m still looking for a book (or a video) that has typical licks for C6 tuning in it. Like blues licks for regular guitar, stuff you can use in different situations, whether it´s country or more atmospheric stuff. Any ideas?
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Martin,

Welcome to the group.

You will find GHADS of 6th-tuning licks and comprehensive navigation, scales and chords in this SGF discussion chain.

After a few initial postings about the theory angles, the discussions settle into very practical things contributed by the many fine folks here on the SGF.

Also, SGF Member Andy Volk recently published the most wonderful and comprehensive book on non-pedal steel HISTORY, also with references to tons of material including learning material, that I've ever seen. You can email Andy (or any Member) directly from the small menu bar at the top of each posting.

Aloha,
Denny T~
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 30 April 2004 at 05:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

the forum is a pretty deep well if you search. Here are a few things that may be helpful ...
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum8/HTML/001016.html http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/003549.html <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 28 April 2004 at 05:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Geeezz Andy, I just went looking for a purchase reference for your book on the b/s/t board to edit in here, ...and just came back to find your posting here too. But that's Hawaii for you; 2 (or more) folks and even dolphins catching the same wave ...not to mention the dare-devil photographers' and turtles' heads Image popping up and down in the traffic!

Hana Hou!
DT~
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 28 April 2004 at 05:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dwayne Martineau

Post by Dwayne Martineau »

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
More! More! More!

Some "standard" lap/swing/Hawaiian licks (a la country & blues box diagrams) is exactly what I've been dying for.

I find them extremely helpful in figuring out the guts of a tuning.

Andy--you're gold!
Martin Schmidt

Post by Martin Schmidt »

Ok, this stuff is helpful. I just ordered your book, Andi. Hope it helps!
Anyway, is there any printed material out there? What about the Cindy Cashdollar videos, are they more technical or lick orientated?
And can you guys recommend some classic songs one should learn?
Travis Bernhardt

Post by Travis Bernhardt »

Definitely check out the "scale pocket" lessons on the Buddy Emmons website: Buddy's tab page (near the bottom). It's for 10 string C6 pedal steel, but any of the material that takes place on strings seven through two will work on a six-string C6 lap steel. A close study of those "pockets" combined with the basic modal approach on Denny's website will take you a long way. Denny's website will show you, broadly, where to find the notes you're looking for. Buddy Emmons' lessons will give you some ideas on how to use the pockets, and how to connect them together using single note runs (it's bluesy, jazzy stuff, too--not too country).

It'll take your head a while to get around the concepts, but it's not really that difficult, so just persist and it'll start to make sense.

For some more blues/jazz ideas, definitely check out Jim Loessberg's website: Jim's tab page. You'll hear some good clips, and many of the runs are played without pedals, more or less within the range of the standard C6 lap tuning.

-Travis<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Travis Bernhardt on 29 April 2004 at 01:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Lest someone get the wrong idea, just a heads up that my book isn't an instructional book. It contains interviews with players, instrument photos & resouces for non-pedal steel.
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Martin , you made a great investment ordering a copy of Andy's Book . I just read it for the third time through.Very well done.