Pickup question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Moore

Pickup question

Post by Bill Moore »

You hear a lot about the ohms rating of various pickups. I wonder if somone could explain in simple terms how this affects the sound. This may be a dumb question, but, just how does one measure the ohms? I would like to check the pickups on my guitars but have no idea how to do it. Thanks.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Bill, the ohms or DC Resistance of a pickup coil, which electronically is not a valid measurement, is used by many as a reference to the frequency response of the pickup. It is measured with an ohmmeter across the two leads from the pickup (or between the hot and ground on the output jack).

We have cussed and discussed this many times on here. Electronically all the "ohms" or DC resistance really tells you is what the total resistance of the wire that was used to wind the pickup coil, since the pickup is really an "AC" (alternating current) not a "DC" (direct current) device. There are other measurements that accurately reflect the characteristics of a pickup.

However, if EVERYTHING else is equal between two pickups from the same manufacture (e.g. magnets with the exact same electrical specifications, same wire, wound the same way, etc.) then it can be a relative reference to whether the pickup is bassier or brighter than another. However, for example, a George L's pickup with 18K ohms DC resistance will not be the same as an Emmons pickup with the same resistance.
And, again for example, not every Emmons pickup wound to a specific DC resistance will be identical - there will be variations between them.

The only pickups, that I am aware of, that are consistent throughout the model are the Bill Lawrence pickups. They are not built for a specific DC resistance, but are made and tested using very accurate AC measurement devices and specifications. e.g. the Lawrence 710 pickups are consistent from one pickup to another.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Bill, I'm no where close to being on the same level with Bill Lawrence, however, I do understand (some) what he is saying. Until Bill came along pickups were not scientifically designed but more a "happening". I will admit there were some lucky pickup builders along the way and some with practical knowledge, but not the Electronic Engineering theory and knowledge of Bill Lawrence in the pickup world.

However, I have to disagree with him on the front pickup on my Telecaster. It may go against all design theory and to an engineer it may be a poor design, but it works and sounds great.. which to a user is what is really important.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

"still all I really know is I plug it in it sounds good or it don't"

Probably one of the most poignant statements ever concerning PU's. Sound advice. (no pun intended Image).

Go with B Cole folks. Forget impedances, etc. Go for the sound you like and want. If you do you will be happy.

If you head down the trail of buying things because of certain "impedance" and/or "ohms" ratings, etc. in all likelyhood you will end up frustrated.

God bless you all,

carl