Help with Tube Preamp and Vegas 400

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

pwsmith

Help with Tube Preamp and Vegas 400

Post by pwsmith »

Hello Forumites,

I need some input from you Electronics Gurus on how to connect my new ART Tube-Pac(Tube preamp/Tube compressor, which sounds amazing incidentally)to my Peavey Vegas 400.

I initially connected the Tube preamp between my guitar and out to my input jack on my amp. But looking at my vegas 400 manual, it looks like I could run the Tube preamp through the pre-EQ patch on the front of the amp, which would come after the input preamp but before (pre) EQ. This seems like the right choice but there is a note in the manual that states that Line level (1 vrms) devices should be patched at the rear panel preamp out and power amp input loop, which is post EQ.

Which one do I choose pre-eq patch? or preamp in poweramp out?

HELP!!!! :-)

any information would be greatly appreciated

God Bless

Smitty

------------------
Paul Smith
ZB Custom S-10, 3&2
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Is that a tiny little ART? It might be best to fasten it to the leg of your steel, and run a 2 inch cord from steel to preamp. Then to volume pedal and amp.
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

I suggest that you use the PRE AMP OUTPUT/POWER AMP INPUT if the ART is a line level device. The PRE EQ PATCH is a low level patch point.

Is the ART line level or low level?
pwsmith

Post by pwsmith »

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the response, Im not sure but I think the ART is a line level device. Im not sure of the difference between low level and line level. I went out to the ART web site and checked the manual for the Tube-Pac and it specified that this device is a "mic/line preamp" Would that classify this as a line device? If it is a line device and I connect to the preamp out on the rear of the Vegas 400 will I lose my ability to use the EQ on the Vegas. What if any difference in sound is there between my first method, which was to simply connect the Tube-Pac between my guitar and out to the input on the Vegas, or rigging the ART to the preamp out on the back of the Vegas?

thanks so much for your help, as I would like to understand these technical issues a bit more.

Smitty

------------------
Paul Smith
ZB Custom S-10, 3&2
pwsmith

Post by pwsmith »

Mike,

Here is the link to the ART Tube-Pac page:
http://www.artroch.com/131/131desc.htm

Smitty

------------------
Paul Smith