speaker cords

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Skip Cole

speaker cords

Post by Skip Cole »

For my rack stuff : DPC 750, Profex 2, to 2-1501-4 BW's, such as guage,shielded or not, brand,etc. What would you recommend ? Ok, let er rip- all comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
Skip & Emmo
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Skip,
I use 12 gauge speaker wire,bought from Wal-Mart. 50 ft. for just a few bucks,& it's even color-coded for polarity,which is VERY important!! DO NOT use shielded mike cable for spkrs. It's a mis-match!!

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-</pre></font>
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Smiley is correct, do not use guitar cords for the speakers.

There was a long thread on here recently about this subject. Do a search and you should come up with it.

A good grade #14 should be more than sufficient for runs under 15ft. Above 15ft I'd use the #12. Not all wire is the same so make sure you get a good grade wire. Home Depot sells Monster Cable brand speaker cable which works well.
Mark Amundson

Post by Mark Amundson »

To add to Jack's comments, 14 gauge or better wire is good for your higher powered amplifier. Good terminations are equally important too. If you use phone plugs, you may have to back down to 16 gauge to get the wire to fit in the barrels of the connectors. I recommend type "SJ" rubber jacketing over zip cord for long gigging life. You can buy 2 conductor SJ black rubber cords by the foot at most hardware stores.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Mark, I have some Switchcraft large barrel 1/4" plugs that I use. I've had them for a while and don't remember the Switchcraft part number. They have a metal barrel/cover or whatever you want to call it with a fairly large cable hole.
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Gentlemen, Thank you very kindly for your help. This rack stuff is fairly new to me ; I know you folks have probably been there, done that. I had been advised against using guitar cords but wasn't sure about the speaker wire guage or insulation type. Best wishes to all.----------Skip & Emmo
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

BTW Skip,let me clarify something.I don't use two 50' cords. I use one,doubled it,& cut it in half.(2-25'cords).I have a PV DPC-1000,going to 2-12",4 ohm,Black Widows.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-</pre></font><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 17 May 2000 at 10:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Smiley, Thanks for your reply. How do the 12-4 BW's compare to the 1501-4 BW's as far as tone goes ? I play a 75 Emmons D-10 and love "that" tone with the 15's. ---Skip & Emmo
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Skip,
I couldn't tell you that because,I play an S-10,E9th,& felt that I didn't need the extended range of 15's that is required for C6th.

------------------
©¿©
mm
-=sr€=-</pre></font>
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm using two Nashville 112E clone cabinets with 1203-8 speakers in them. It has more low end than my Nashville 400 does - actually better overall frequency response. In fact I've had to cut the global low eq in my Transtube Fex so I don't compete with the bass.

I had been hung up on 15" speakers for years but the 1203's made a believer out of me.

Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

12 or 14 gauge unshielded speaker wire would be sufficient for connecting the speakers.

Good quality 20 to 22 gauge shielded cable should be used to connect the Profex II to the DPC amp.
Skip Cole

Post by Skip Cole »

Thanks for the replys guys. I have printed them so I can remember; seems like since I have become a senior citizen I've contacted that ol "crs" syndrome. -----------Skip& Emmo