Asking the impossible???

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Rothon

Asking the impossible???

Post by David Rothon »

I suspect I'm going to get laughed off the site here, but here goes…
Is there a reasonably compact/light amp that's suitable for PSG? I realise this will mean compromising sound & tone, but I live in a 4th-floor flat with no lift, and I already play a ZB that weighs a ton. And I'm not very strong. My Sessionette lead guitar amp, needless to say, doesn't do the job. Any ideas? Giving up playing the steel is NOT an option.

Friendly

Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Hello David:
If your looking for an amp to produce the dynamic range of a steel guitar at stage volume un-miked you pretty much have to live with weight vs power. If your looking for a light weight amp being miked or carry around for rehearsal or small venues you might want to consider a Polytone. I use one for the above and it's OK and you can leave your hernia truss home!
Len Amaral
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

David,Evans Custom Amplifiers makes an amp called the SE-120-it weighs 39lbs.I've had one for 3 or 4 years and use it on all my live stuff around town.I can carry my S-10 Emmons,my amp,and my pak-a-seat in one trip(if it ain't too far).It's a really good sounding amp,too.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Check out some of the new bass amps. Club date bass players are super lazy and have figured out all sorts of ways not to lift heavy things.

Bob
Martin Abend

Post by Martin Abend »

Speaking of Bassamps:

Recently a met a bassplayer with an Gallien Krueger amp that was super small but sounded unbelievably fat. I think it sported an 12" speaker.
You might want to try one of these.

All the best,

Martin

------------------
S-10 Sierra Crown gearless
Rich Paton

Post by Rich Paton »

This thread makes me curious...anyone have experience using any model of Polytone amp for PSG?
David Rothon

Post by David Rothon »

Thanks for the suggestions – you've given me hope! I'm off hunting…

Friendly