Recone JBL

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Florence

Recone JBL

Post by Jim Florence »

I've got a JBL D-120 F that has an "Open" voice coil. In the old days JBL used to recone them for free, I'm sure those days are long gone. Anyone know where I can get it re-coned? Matter of fact I've got two that need coning
Jim

------------------
David C Neal

Post by David C Neal »

Jim,

If I was you, I would send the speakers back to the JBL factory. I have had several speakers reconed most of them D-130s and I don't know anyone who does a better job then the factory... it seems that the other companys use a cheep generic material that makes the speakers sound really high in the med-range and the responce is never the same...

Unfortunately its not free, it will cost you about $275 to have the speaker reconed... But its worth it to have it done right..

David C Neal
Bob Farlow

Post by Bob Farlow »

Jim, there is a place here in Marietta,GA that I have used for many years, and they use factory cones. If you want, I will check with them for prices.
Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

I agree with Dave I just had one done D130 and it sounds terribleIf anyone knows where else it can be done please post it
Bob Farlow

Post by Bob Farlow »

Northwest Speaker and Equipment Co.
560 Windy Hill Rd.
Smyrna,GA 30080
Ph: 770-438-0500
Ask for Jan.
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

Freeman-Tuell
7911 Ferguson Rd.
Dallas, TX 75228
(214) 324-1132
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

You might try Midwest Speaker, Snelling Ave, St. Paul, MN. They are a factory service center for just about everyone.
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

My goodness $275.00 to get a speaker re-coned!
The last time I had a speaker re-coned was about 1981 and it cost me $70.00.

------------------
Donnie Blassl

Post by Donnie Blassl »

There is a place in Sioux City, Iowa that recones speakers. It is Larvic Speakers. He has been in business since 1971 and really knows what he is doing. In fact I am picking one up today that I had reconed. He is very reasonable and I have always been more than satisfied with his work.
The Address is:
Larvic Speakers
1503 Pierce Street
Sioux City, Iowa
Phone 712-255-0521
PS: He also is an awsome Bass Player.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I bought a used Fender Twin Reverb in Phoenix in 1971 with two JBL 120.got it from a rock player. Of course both cones were blown. I had them reconed in Phoenix for $20. each and they worked great for years, Keith, I have to agree that $270. even now days is a lot of money to recone a speaker, you can buy a Nashville 400 for just a little more than that......al
Rex Blevins

Post by Rex Blevins »

Jim :
Call David Miller @ Speakerworks in Tulsa. If you call JBL, I know they would refer you to him ..
Rich Paton

Post by Rich Paton »

JBL controls the service contractors' ability to obtain the real JBL factory repair kits.
I do work reconing occaisionally, for an authorized JBL repair contractor.
JBL insists that on a re-cone job, the surround, cone, voice coil, spider assemblies and all adhesives be replaced with a matched JBL factory set.
Partial repairs ARE possible, partial non-JBL kits are out there, but personally I would insist on the whole shebang.
To restore a driver to original factory condition takes at ~least~ two hours, to carefully completely remove all the old adhesives, install the new spider, V.C., surround, alignment....
Authorized repair contractors would like to be able charge less, but their cost for JBL kits is bit pricey. However, their use, and a quality-minded craftsman's work is the only way to guarantee factory quality & performance.
>
Info on JBL repairs:
> http://www.jblpro.com/pages/warranty_faq.htm
Rich Paton

Post by Rich Paton »

Jim, these are the Oklahoma authorized JBL service centers, good luck!
>
Oklahoma Audio & Stage Lighting
2214 Research Park Blvd
Norman, Oklahoma 73069
Telephone: (405) 364-5733
Transducers, JBL Dealer
>
Ford Audio/Video
4800 W. I-40
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73128
Telephone: (405) 946-9966
Transducers, Electronics, EON & LSR-P, JBL Dealer
>
Tulsa Guitar & Electronics
1417 S. Harvard
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74112
Telephone: (918) 742-4912
Transducers, Electronics, EON & LSR-P
>
Speakerworks
4932 So. Mingo
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74146
Telephone: (918) 664-6299
Transducers
>
Kenny Dail

Post by Kenny Dail »

Rich, can you or anyone on the forum direct me to an authorized JBL svc person that does reconing? Thanx.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Jerry Gleason

Post by Jerry Gleason »

There's a place in Portland, Oregon, called Jamac Inc. that has done several JBL recones for me. They use the aftermarket materials, made by Waldom, I believe. It comes as a complete kit, cone, voice coil, spider, dust cap, etc. At a cost of only about $55-$60 per speaker, all the ones I've had done have worked very well and sounded fine. I've used them when I didn't want to sink a lot of money into a speaker to make it servicable, or to convert to a different impedance, or cone type (140 to 130, etc.).

I don't claim that the aftermarket stuff can be as good as the original JBL materials. It is not, for a variety of reasons. However, if installed by someone who knows what they're doing, you can get a JBL speaker restored to good working condition for not much money. I had one of a pair of K-130's reconed there, and when I got it back, It sounded just the same as the one with the original factory cone. I've pushed these speakers pretty hard and I've never had a failure. That's just my experience, but as they say, your milage may vary.