How long did you tolerate The CMA Awards?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

I haven't watched one of these garbage shows in 10 years. And I never will again.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

A little rambling opinion.
Some of the singers were a little flat,
some of the music wasn't traditional country , George Straits vocal was a little weak ( but I still liked it), Some of the women were dressed liked hookers (liked that too Image ) , all the steel players getting camera time was greatly appreciated. I still liked the show.
The CMA has always had it's own ideas about what will sell next year. Top 40 country radio sux. That's why I got Sirius and an IPOD.
Randy Beavers

Post by Randy Beavers »

Something that would get my support...

Texas has its own music charts that several radio stations there adhere to. What if one of these Texas radio stations were to franchise other stations around the nation and control everything from the music to the DJs. I know there is Sirius radio, but I mean put it on the local airwaves. That would bring real change to the market!

Just for the record, I think there have been many great Country records that did not have steel guitar or fiddle on them. However they did have such a thing as great lyrics and a melody.
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

Randy,
Are you saying that you see no musical value in the non melodic one line blurts that go into a non relative suspended minor progression and hang there? Image That is my thinking.

Bob<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 08 November 2006 at 06:13 AM.]</p></FONT>
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

On the Internet this morning:

"CMA Awards Show Sings Blues
ABC's coverage of the 40th Annual Country Music Association Awards averaged a 9.0 rating and a 13 share Monday night -- the lowest ever for the awards telecast and slightly below CBS's coverage of it a year ago, when it registered a 9.9/14. It attracted 15.89 million viewers down 10.4 percent from last year when 17.73 million tuned in."
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I have to laugh at some of the acid-tongued comments about NOT watching the show? Guys, why do you feel compelled to post this stuff just to let us know that you didn't watch it?

As I wrote earlier, I recorded the thing, and it eventually put me to sleep-I had been at a meeting earlier in the evening. Some of it was entertaining and some of it was not.

For us Bay Area types, it HAD to be more entertaining on Monday evening than watching the hapless Raiders getting shut out by the Seahawks, 16-0.

If this show was short on real country then the Oakland franchise has become short on real football! Image

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 08 November 2006 at 09:43 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gaylon Mathews

Post by Gaylon Mathews »

I LOVE this thread! Every year it's a race to see who can post first about how crappy the awards shows are. Then, once it's underway, it's a challenge to see who can claim the most ridiculous reason why they either didn't watch or why they didn't enjoy the show. To me, it's one of the most entertaining threads of the year. There is much truth in a lot of these comments and then there is a lot of BS too. It's all up to the individual how it's interpreted. Fun, fun, fun!

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.gaylonmathews.com

Gretchen Wilson
www.gretchenwilson.com

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

In keeping with Gaylon's "spirit of entertainment," one group that I don't know much about but is growing on me is Little Big Town. I enjoyed their performance. Kind of a unique blend of two male and two female vocalists with some good harmonies that sort of straddle the fence of country and bluegrass. I think they have two albums out, I might pick one up-not sure which one to buy.

------------------
Mark
Karen Lee Steenwijk

Post by Karen Lee Steenwijk »

Wow! what a thread!!.Yes we also taped it, and watched very carefully how we need more country in country music, more steel, more fiddles, and better dressed folks. We finally came to this. Its time we get those lil ones we have to do get it goin, and keep it goin. Lets put the country music back in country music. Amen!!!

Karen
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Taken from Tuesday's Afternnon Report on the Music Row magazine's website.

AWARDS PUT ABC ON TOP
According to Zap2it.com, overnight preliminary ratings for the 40th Annual CMA awards on ABC were a mixed bag. The three-hour telecast gave ABC a nightly win in the coveted 18-49 demo averaging a 9.9 rating/15 share, but overall viewership of 15.9 million, lagged behind recent years. The Awards took first place in viewership at both the 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. time slots, sliding to second place at 10 p.m. behind CSI: Miami on CBS. Last year’s Award show from Madison Square Garden earned an 11.1 rating/17 share. —DMR

Tommy Minniear
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Just wondering dept:? If they had shown a re-run of any of the last three years shows would anyone have known the difference? Image
Ron !

Post by Ron ! »

It's a shame what our country stars sing on stage for us.However....a lot of it has to do with the fact that the "soundcrew" must've been deaf,blind and dumb.
Never the less....most of these singers and performers should be looking back to one of the worst CMA's I've ever seen.
And then there is "Josh Turner"...showing everyone how it should be done...an oncoming talent?Wrong...he was not "The" oncoming...he was actually the best out there.An award well deserved.

Ron
erik

Post by erik »

Gaylon, check my original post (unedited), I said I was enjoying it. I think it's easy to pile on regarding new country vs old. I think Rascal Flatts is a very talented and entertaining band. They have many good songs. Same with Keith Urban, and Lonestar. I even like Kenny Chesney. These acts appeal to younger folk. I just happen to prefer traditional sounding Country.

------------------
-johnson

James Cann

Post by James Cann »

<SMALL>I have to laugh at some of the acid-tongued comments about NOT watching the show? Guys, why do you feel compelled to post this stuff just to let us know that you didn't watch it?</SMALL>
You're absolutely right, Mark. Thanks for the head slap!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Cann on 08 November 2006 at 08:31 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gaylon Mathews

Post by Gaylon Mathews »

erik,

I see that. What I was pointing out is that within minutes of any award show airing, CMA's, ACM's, whatever, someone will be on here posting about how crappy it is and then it snowballs from there. The thread will be sprinkled with the occasional poster who actually likes what they heard like you. I'm just saying that it's entertaining to me. I too prefer traditional country but also like some of the current stuff out there. I just think it's amusing that these posts start before the show is even half over. We performed Monday night 30 minutes into the show. We had to walk off stage and go straight to bus call for a gig in Philadelphia. So as soon as I got on the bus I logged onto the forum (within the first hour on the show) and this thread was already in progress. I'm not complaining at all. I've just come to expect it and find it amusing. A country song with a little edge is OK on an award show but I too have seen and heard songs performed that had no country flavor at all. On a side note, the first time we did the Opry Gretchen picked "Redneck Woman" and "When I Think About Cheatin" to perform. I remember her saying, "This is the Opry. We gotta keep it country." So all is good. Then, just before we go on, Pete Fisher requested "Here For The Party" as well. I'm thinkin' to myself, "Oh no...not on the Opry. That ain't country! I'll never hear the end of this from the guys on the forum." Well, we did it anyway and I guess it weren't any worse than "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk!"

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.gaylonmathews.com

Gretchen Wilson
www.gretchenwilson.com

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Gaylon, I see your going to be at "Rock Crusher Canyon" in Fla.in Dec. Right up the street so to speak. Should be a fun gig and no need to hold back there. One of the few venues around that still books package shows.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Could'nt get much worse than bodonadonk,No wait a minute theres Batter,Batter.
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Eric,

Somebody once said that Shania should get a CMA for being Nashville's most talented lap dancer.

The key to enjoying these shows is to watch them with a blindfold and earplugs.

------------------
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I have no character. -- Charles Barkley
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Darryl,

Steve Earl once said "Shania is the most expensive lap dancer in Nashville".
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Dang. That's right. It was in his autobiography, wasn't it? I hope I also heard the CMA (or emmy?) version somewhere. Maybe my loss of old memories is now getting worse if I'm making up new ones.

------------------
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I have no character. -- Charles Barkley