How long did you tolerate The CMA Awards?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Randy you are so right. I was watching The Beverly Hillbillys. Jethro put a two way mirror in backwards in his "Double Naught Spy" office and when Ellie may asked Jethro's first customers to step in front of it all they saw was Jethro on the other side peering at them. Jethro was trying to clean the mirror on the other side. I forgot the CMA's were on.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Think it ain't getting to be just like Hollywood? I didn't watch it as usual but I heard that Keith Urban won male vocalist but couldn't be there to except his award because he's in rehab! Now that's exactly what's wrong with Hollywood but it kind of makes sense since he just married Nicole Kidman. Now that's what I call a dumb blonde! These people are actually looked up to and emulated and then they start voicing their political opinions and people take them seriously! I find more entertainment looking in my pac a seat!
Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

I recorded it, I like to power of fast forward. I did like the harmony of the song Bones, but I din't hear it as the country I like (Sonny James, Strait, ETC) I liked Carrie's song, I guess cause it's a "girl been cheated on takes revenge", don'cha know. I haven't seen all of it yet. Had to take a break. I liked the gal's line "Knocked up and blind" Maybe that could be a song...only the other way around..???? Too blind to read the directions,..... more later

------------------
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I got through the opening song but when Brooks and Dunn started their "gibberish" intro that was the end.
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

At 7:00 I watched "Prison Break", at 8:00 I watched "Justice", and at 9:00 I watched "Miami CSI"....then I went to bed.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I stayed home to watch the entire show, I figured that if I was going to have an opinion I should hear it all.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

About two songs worth. What a shame so many people want to be "country" these days and someone actually takes them serious.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Gaylon, tell Gretchen I only have eyes for her... Image
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

I watched about 15 minutes of it. I enjoyed Brooks and Dunn singing but when they started doing the intro's I just couldn't take it no more. Image

Rick
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

At least the audience was dressed for the occassion. Actually they all looked like they were dressed up for a funeral. And if Country music ain't dead, They sure are trying to bury it alive. Image I got through about 20 minutes worth then switched to a Martha Stewart re-run.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

"If country music ain't dead, they're sure trying to bury it alive!" Now there's the hook line folks. Somebody make a new Murder on Music Row tune out of this one.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Thanks John! Image
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I tried a few times for a few minutes each, CSI Miami RE-RUNS had more to offer..

I too was pretty puzzled by the "dress" of each of the perfomers and bands...and I clearly agree that the Jethro look must be the new fad...

Sorry I missed Gaylons tune, I'll tape the rerun just to see him play with Gretchen.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 07 November 2006 at 05:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

erik by the way, Jesus at the Wheel was and still is a HUGE song for Carrie Underwood...her CD is actually pretty good..

but the song she sang last night..

well..maybe it was my 2" TV speaker...
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Frank I did write it ,copyrite and record it four years ago. However I have not finished the album yet. Also on the album is my juke box song "your just a pain in the A-s". there actually is no cursing other that the hook line. The Song is called and the hook. "If Country music isn't dead, Then they buried it alive. It's a Price type shuffle.. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 07 November 2006 at 05:46 AM.]</p></FONT>
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Most of the acts are way more entertaining when Tivo'd and watched back at double-speed. Bonus: no audio.

So how many of the bands were miming to tracks? There were a couple shots of Sarah Evans' drummer doing some fills that were a dead giveaway, and I saw a few more that I can't recall. Some of the mixes were not too great, so I assume those bands were playing live....

And yes, Harold Bradley's comments were special indeed. I'd be real curious to know how many of the musicians in all of those acts on the show even knew who he was talking about. Kinda related to this maybe:

I know our steel brethren would know Image

------------------
Tommy Detamore

www.cherryridgestudio.com

Randy Beavers

Post by Randy Beavers »

I thought the best "one liner" was when Ronnie Dunn introduced Montgomery-Gentry as "Loaded for Bear!"

I know it went over most folks heads but do a search on the pending charges.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Caught the last half of George Strait's performance and his HoF acceptance. That's it. Monday Night Football and The Golf Channel provided better things to do. Image

------------------
HagFan

Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Sure went over mine, Randy! Thanks....Y'all can read about it here.

------------------
Tommy Detamore

www.cherryridgestudio.com

Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

Yes, I hit the ff button through most of the last half. I did like to see Barbara Mandrell. She still looks good. Since she retired from music to go into acting, I at least wish the acting had panned out.
I agree with the crazy Ex-girlfriend song, ugh!

------------------
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I watched the whole thing and liked some parts and disliked others.

George Strait....It's nice to see him in the HOF but there are other older artists out there that should be in the hall, and aren't....

Harold Bradley.....It was great seeing him go into the hall and I appreciated his mention of the other players, especially Hank Garland....

The Wreckers?....A couple of hot lookin' if sleasy girls who I liked for some reason.

Carrie Underwood.....didn't care much for her songs but she was a "Hottie" in that backless dress and the shorter one before that.....

Alan Jackson.....For the first time in his career I think he performed a song on the CMA's that I really didn't like. Remember Alan singing "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning" on the CMA's, or the show when they cut George Jones' song so Alan came out and did it just to spite them, that was cool............

I'm glad they did bring out Sonny James, Harold Bradley, & George S. for their HOF entrance. I'm still fuming about the way they did the great Carl Smith when he went in. They actually had the "gonads" to introduce him at his seat with a very short ceremony. I don't even think he got to respond............

Gretchen Wilson & John Rich.....I liked the tune they did together. Gretchen's my kind of girl......

Miranda Lambert....I don't know what she's trying to do but she ought to join Weight Watchers. The girl's putting on some pounds which IMO isn't bad because I have some excess baggage but in the world of videos a fat chick just ain't gonna make it. If she blows up anymore, they're gonna cut her. Too bad 'cause she writes most of her stuff and sings pretty good. I agree that she needs to ditch the dude with the "Rooster Comb" or "Mohawk" hairdo, whatever it is......

Keith Urban?....You gotta give him his due, he's one helluva guitarist but his vocals are mediocre compared to a lot of others.

Who actually votes for these awards? Is it the membership of the CMA? I think that's mostly older folks isn't it? It seems that they'd cater to the more classic sounding acts.

In closing, the country music industry, just like the rock field, and most of society is really going morally bankrupt and slipping into the anything goes mode. I hate the direction it's going but there's nothing I can do so I'll just enjoy the parts I like and bitch about the ones I don't.........JH in Va.

------------------
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!

Charlie St Denis

Post by Charlie St Denis »

Whooo!!!!!! And here I thought it was just
me that could not tolerate the show. I must
say that Gretchen's performace with John
Rich was excellent and did appreciate the
fact that John Rich had a tie on and his
harmony was top notch as always. Gaylon
you can pass this on to the Redneck Girl.
Just don't smash a guitar and she'll be
#1 in my book.
Charlie www.charliestdenis.com
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

If anyone tivo'd it, look back when Carrie Underwood was named female vocal of the year.
Faith Hill does a huge double take and mouths "WHAT?!!" as she learns it's not her. http://www.cmt.com/music/events/cma/2006/articles/1545074/11072006/hill_faith.jhtml
I don't recall seeing that type of catty behavior before.
Cool!
and yeah, the Wreckers were definitely kind of sleazy for some reason.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Palmer on 07 November 2006 at 10:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charley Adair

Post by Charley Adair »

I was watching other things and ocassionally switching to the cMA show. I missed George but got to see Mr. Bradley thanking the great musicians, and I saw the Southern Gentleman (well named). I did happen to hit the two times Underwood won awards. I listen to a country station every day, and I asked my wife, "What does she sing?" I only know her name because I've heard them talk about American Idol, which I've never watched. And the Aldene(sp) kid, I got to watch him so weakly jump from the drummers stand and quickly went back to CSI Miami. Never heard him either. SO, if you want to know what radio station I listen to it's KVET in Austin, kvet.com. And, their morning call in hosts won the award for Personalities Of the Year for large market radio.
Heiko Aehle

Post by Heiko Aehle »

I would like to get a tape or DVD of the 2006 Awards Show. Of course I would pay all your costs of sending it to me and recording it. Please reply to me via email. Thanks !!