Selling COPIES of Jeff Newman tab... this sucks.

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Ron Sodos

Post by Ron Sodos »

Find out his address. I will call my friend GUIDO.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

"Dog ooders " ?

Image Ya Done Good!
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

<SMALL>You must be a Democrat.</SMALL>
huh?
I think this guy is listening to too much hate radio... he demonizes all Democrats and he thinks 'do-gooders' are troublemakers. Image

I’m surprised that eBay has not shut down this auction after receiving so many complaints.

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 16 November 2006 at 02:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

I don't think he's a jerky Republican. Just a jerk who happens to be a Republican.
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Image woops... didn't mean to step on anyone's political toes. I was shooting from the hip again. A family trait I ain't too proud of.
I have good friends who are Republicans and they're decent, law abiding folks. Image
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I'm going to bid, and when I win I'm going to send him a photocopy of the cash. See what he thinks of that. What an @#$hole.

All he's "helping" is himself - to Fran's income.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 16 November 2006 at 05:22 PM.]</p></FONT>
P Gleespen

Post by P Gleespen »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>
...when I win I'm going to send him a photocopy of the cash. </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one! Image
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

I talked to Fran recently - she was really upset about the unauthorized reproduction of Jeff (and her!) work. Jeff and Fran spent a lifetime developing a quality business of being able to bring quality instruction to the steel guitar community. The people that steel their work are as guilty as someone that robs a bank or steels a car.
What a crying shame...
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

It's still there... (the auction for 'Sleepwalk Tab...')
This seller's attitude is pretty much "SO WHAT? Whatya gonna do?"
He'll probably wait until the "heat's off", then resume copying whatever he thinks will make a quick buck on Ebay.
And it looks like Ebay isn't too worried about it. I mean, they got their billion$$$, why should they care?
He lives in Casper, Wyoming and plays steel.(by what I've gathered on his 'feedback' history.)
Mrs. Newman is upset. Which makes this all suck quite a bit. He owes Mrs. Newman at least an apology + any ca$h he's pocketed on this caper.
What can be done about this little s.o.b.?

Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

You could buy from him, giving you access to his feedback profile. You could give some nasty negative feedback for selling you copies, thus misrespresenting the item. He might make a few dollars from you, but at least you'd be able to warn others of his scam and maybe put him out of business, with the Newman copies anyway.

He'd have no right to retaliate on your feedback, either - because Ebay would see that you were only telling the truth.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I don’t know Chris, giving someone a negative is a guarantee that you will get a negative back, even if unjustified. eBay would eventually delete the negative, but the whole thing would be a pain.

We should continue to report him to eBay, and email him through the eBay mail system and explain to him that what he’s doing is illegal and unethical. He just doesn’t get it. I think it’s a case of ignorance.

It’s doubtful that eBay will do anything. The guy has over 700 transactions and excellent feedback. He really should know better.

To report the auction:
Go to the bottom of the auction page and click on 'Report this item', then click on Counterfeits and copyright violations - Bootlegs and counterfeit media - Unauthorized photocopies of printed material

------------------
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I just reported it to eBay and sent him a nastygram.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Excellent... the Forum Police are on the case and we will soon have this matter under control! Image

------------------
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I dare somebody to name those players. Image
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Yeah, I agree with Doug. I don't want to give this guy any chance at messing with my Feedback. My 100% rating was ruined by a jerk like him.(I once complained about a slow shipper(4 wks+)..only to get a retaliatory NEG feedback calling ME obnoxious. Go figure. Image )
All attempts to contact Ebay end with the same result on the same page. Email, etc.
So, I sent a few more "reports". They gotta read 'em sometime, don't ya think?
Any other Forum members, if you have a couple minutes, send 'em another. Can't hurt, I reckon. I think he's violated Ebay's "terms of use" agreement and needs a suspension. That would be par, if ya ask me.
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Keystone Steelers?? Image
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

the sham

Well, I've reported this to eBay several times in the past couple of days, and I know that other forum members have done the same, but the auction is still active. I guess eBay is going to do nothing about it. You’d think the seller would be embarrassed by all of the negative emails and shut the auction down.

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 16 November 2006 at 10:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Don't we have a Forumite who's an attorney who can contact this guy and read him the riot act?
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

It's still there...
The auction is up to $10.50. and 3 1/2 days remaining. Not bad for FREE $$$, eh? What a scam. Not any money in this?? I beg to differ..
Mark Vinbury

Post by Mark Vinbury »

My guess is eBay won't do anything about this till they hear from the person who owns the copyright on this material.
They'd be taking a risk acting on the hearsay and conjecture that we're able to provide.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Vinbury on 17 November 2006 at 10:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Summers

Post by Rick Summers »

Good point, Mark. I bet Fran Newman could get that taken off TODAY. If I were a personal friend of hers, I'd call her and guide her through the steps. Easy stuff.
Does anyone reading these posts know Mrs. Newman personally? That would be the ticket!

Nip it! Nip it in the BUD!(Barney Fife)
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

Seems like Ebay doesn't really care (and from a profit motive perspective too much involvement depletes executive pay and bonuses). Some lower level minion (or an automated system with minimal human involvement) just sending back boiler-plate email responses that things are being investigated. Gives me the impression this situation and similar must be pretty low on ebay's priority list.

Seems spending extra overhead to really look into every auction that gets a complaint could be an expensive task. I would not be surprised if the sheer volume of complaints to Ebay (auctions, phishing schemes, etc.) is so high that there is only a few seconds available to address each complaint. Things like buyer protection etc. seem to me just over-hyped promises that turn out to be illusions if you read the fine print.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

We all read about copyright laws becoming tighter and tighter, websites with guitar tab being shut down, shop owners being sued because they have their radio on, pizza places getting fined because a guy with a mandolin sings O Sole Mio etc...

Here is a clear case that should make the layers in the grey suits step out of the dark. I am sure that all of Jeff's work is copyright protected, that means Fran would probably only have to notify the respective association to initiate legal procedures against the seller. Maybe Ebay wouldn't find that too funny either!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

At any given moment, eBay is conducting 12 million auctions. It's no wonder there are no human beings handling the complaints. But if eBay got enough complaints about any single item they might take notice.

------------------
Randall Miller

Post by Randall Miller »

Okay.....I jumped in and sent a report also.

I wouldn't like it if it was my material being copied.....and someone else profiting from it!

------------------
1971 Emmons D-10 8/7 #1568 D, Rosewood