Alan Jackson's new CD?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

Well now, JD has spoken! I guess I should change my mind because he says AJ floored everyone with his one take ability. I have my own theory about what Alan "took" during the sessions, but I have moved on to listening to the new CD by "The Grascals". Lloyd Green played on a couple of the tracks and there's no question what type of music this is.
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

And has JD gotten above his raisin'? What's wrong with "Pig in a Pen"?
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

JD didn't say there was anything wrong with "Pig In a Pen". It was his way of emphasizing his observation that they wouldn't be doing a typical bluegrass session.

He's right that AJ has the right to do any kind of album he choses. From what I've read, I think I'll chose to sit this one out. I've got all of AJ's previous albums, including the 2 Christmas albums; I don't have the greatest hits albums either.

------------------
HagFan

Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Don't go on what you read-go on what you hear.

I don't know if it is still up-but one could listen to the whole thing on Alan's page on the CMT site.

Jerry D ain't gettin' above his raisin'-he gave the keynote address at the International Bluegrass Music Association convention recently, and he made it very clear that just about everything he does springs from the well of bluegrass, though it often isn't very obvious on the surface.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 16 October 2006 at 09:11 AM.]</p></FONT>
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

"...the line dance crowd won't like it at all."
I am so there. It's about time that catering to this crowd stopped, IMO.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Me too!

The only people appearing to have less fun than line dancers in some bars or clubs are some overly serious looking pedal steel players!

Just kiddn'...

Really though, I just never got into line dancing-it reminds me of a honky tonk version of when figure skaters have to do the "cumpulsories" (sp?) in Olympic competition, where the moves have to be executed perfectly, but obviously without the elegance of the figure skater-the line dancers always looked so serious to me.

------------------
Mark
Chuck Cusimano

Post by Chuck Cusimano »

What?, No Brent Mason?? No Paul Jr? No chicken pickin'?? Well, after reading most of the posts here, I'm sure NOT going to waste my money on this project. Just my own personal preference, but two bluegrass songs in a row is 1 & 1/2 too many.

Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

Chuck-not sure which thread you were reading-but there ain't even 1/2 of a bluegrass song on this CD.

------------------
Mark
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 17 October 2006 at 01:17 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brett Anderson

Post by Brett Anderson »

I'm with you guys though on the line dance craze. Line dancing blows too. What ever happened to putting your hands all up on the one you're with while two stepping or waltzing.
Mark Eaton

Post by Mark Eaton »

According to Jill Douglas, Jerry's wife, Alan will be performing a song with Jerry as part of the band on the CMA Awards show tonight.

It's supposed to occur about 45 minutes into the show.

------------------
Mark
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Bad enough reading about the CMA show in the front of our TV guide. The thought of actually watching is more than I can handle. Image

Seriously, thanks for the minute marker. I think I'll jump over from MNF on occasion to see if I can catch The Man, AJ.

------------------
HagFan

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I agree with Ron that Alan has the right to choose or cut anything he wants. I also have the right to buy what I like. The fact that theres no steel or Fiddle would not sway me one way or the other whether its good or bad, except to think that they are not cutting the album for one audience. Those of us that still appreciate Country music.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Casey on 07 November 2006 at 05:35 AM.]</p></FONT>