Can you believe this?????

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Mike Harmon

Post by Mike Harmon »

Hi Group,

I called Mr. Monteleone (very personable guy!) and gave him a heads-up and the EBay item number. He advised me that he would have a look at the EBay listing and email me with his comments. He also gave me permission to post his comments here on the Forum. When I get his email, I'll post it here.

Mike
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Cool, the plot thickens!
Mike Harmon

Post by Mike Harmon »

OK, folks, here's the story from John:

Hello Mike,

I took a look at this thing and for the life of me unless I was
unconscious when this was made I can't remember it at all. I don't
believe that I made any of this.

Here's what I do recall. The owner of that thing used to come around to
my shop once in a while back in the late 70s' I think and bring in
various steel guitar projects that he usually half baked. I may have
tried to help him out with something now and then because he didn't have
the money to spend but he did have a real liking for slide guitar, which
I do too. He had some really funky guitars. But no, I didn't do this
one.

Thank you for giving me the heads up on this guitar Mike. Would you
please make it known to your steelers on the list what the story is for
me? Thanks.

John M.

ps..my National is one of the earliest ones with the special order 7th
string. It's from 1935 and serial numbered N 111.

I'm trying to find out what she's worth. Would you happen to know?

The National he mentions is one he told me about on the phone that he (may) have for sale.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

Mike

Oh, by the way, John Monteleone's email address is archtop@optonline.net, and his phone number is (631)277-3620.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Harmon on 16 October 2006 at 01:59 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

OK so I guess what we have here is a guy who used to make believe he knew how to make lap steels showing them to John Monteleone... Mr Monteleone gives the guy a few hints and maybe looks over the "craftsmanship"...

So now a few decades later, this guy was a personal friend and this thing was "built" by Monteleone.... and the ebay seller is positive it is an important piece... NOT...

I have a feeling maybe the seller was the guy that got scammed at one point...

I don't know why, but i still think the seller is reasonably honest.. I have a feeling the item was misrepresented to him somewhere along te line... bob
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>I don't know why, but i still think the seller is reasonably honest.. I have a feeling the item was misrepresented to him somewhere along te line... bob
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're right Bob.
Ward Skinner

Post by Ward Skinner »

Bob, I think you're pretty close, thanks for your Candor.

You'll be good as long as you don't bid and your wife doesn't recognize the sheets.
Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

Jeez Mike- did you really have to give it some thought and go to the source to find out what this was all about? where's the fun in that? this thread was almost to the name-calling stage...
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

<SMALL>The seller says he got this years ago from his friend in a trade. I think his friend lied about the Monteleone connection.</SMALL>
It looks like my earlier assessment was not too far off! Image

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 16 October 2006 at 06:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Harmon

Post by Mike Harmon »

Chip,

Sorry to be a party-pooper! I'm sure B0B just LOVES the flame-wars which break out on here from time to time. As much as I like to watch a good fight, I figured "why not just call the guy up and ask him".

After all, Monteleone's name was used to try to sell something that he very likely had nothing to do with. The guy is a master craftsman, and if I were in his shoes, I'd want to know if someone were using my name or my reputation to try to sell something as amateurish-looking as that EBay item.

When I called him, I simply told him I had seen the EBay posting and thought he should have a look at it. What he does with the information I gave him is his business. Personally, I think he ought to contact the seller and insist that references to his name be removed from the EBay description, but that's his decision to make.

And in all truth, I suspect that Bob's right about the seller. Chances are, he knows little or nothing about guitars, his buddy probably fed him a line of BS about the thing's history, and the seller believed it. He obviously checked out Monteleone's Web site, saw the prices of the handmade archtops, and figured he had a real jewel on his hands.

Mike
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

the Forum Police solved another one! Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 16 October 2006 at 07:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I see the "buy it now" offer has been removed from the ebay site but still no bites.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Come'on guys, place a bid. You know you want it. His reserve price is probably very reasonable Image

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Actually,there MAY be some value after all... Isn't that neck off an old 60's Fender bolt on acoustic???... That would probably net the guy $75-100 I would think...That body is a nice chunk of fuel for the wood stove... The neck alone may be of some interest IF its in good playable shape,,,bob
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

On second thought, the neck also is only of use as home heating fuel... It looks like it was "squared off" and the headstock "improved"..... junk.... bob
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

Curt, there you go - all it took was a phone call. Why get so worked up when it's easily solved? If it WAS John's product it would have value - the seller suggests contacting him, that's done, it's not a Monteleone.

So where was the "scam"? Other than the seller being told the wrong story, there WAS no scam. You could argue that the seller should have checked it oout...but as an eBay seller of estate stuff, you often just don't have the time, so you dowhat this one did - suggest contacting the reported maker.

I just don't get the attitude...plus it's odd when Curt implies he has no idea who Monteleone is, then later talks about his great reputation. Huh? Sounds like someone trying to start a dustup to me.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Sliff on 17 October 2006 at 06:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

Jim, per the eBay listing:
<SMALL>THIS WAS GOING TO BE A LAP STEEL GUITAR MADE BY THE FAMOUS JOHN MONTELEONE OF ISLIP NEW YORK. HE MADE WHAT YOU SEE HERE FOR A MUSICIAN FRIEND OF MINE THAT KNEW MR MONTELEONE.</SMALL>
Note the seller says: HE MADE WHAT YOU SEE HERE

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the "piece" was misrepresented.

Nobody trying to disrupt anything here. Just hoping to save someone from being scammed.

You do believe that misrepresenting a "work of art" is a scam, don't you Jim?

I don't know, maybe you could have read the eBay listing...................

Reading is fundamental!
<SMALL>I just don't get the attitude...plus it's odd when Curt implies he has no idea who Monteleone is, then later talks about his great reputation. Huh? Sounds like someone trying to start a dustup to me.</SMALL>
No Jim, it's not odd. I took your advice and read up on Monteleone. I found out he is a renowned luthier.

Renowned luthier or not, that "piece" on eBay is NOT from Monteleone, so eBay should be notified of the misrepresentation.

Surely you can agree on that...........

No reason to be on the offensive here.
<SMALL>I just don't get the attitude...</SMALL>
Thats because there is no attitude to get!

Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Curt Langston on 17 October 2006 at 06:39 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ray Batcher

Post by Ray Batcher »

Hi guys ;I also talked to Mr.Monteleone this morning and verified everything he told Mike.He was very appreciative of our concern and thanked all those who notified him of this fraud.What bothers me the most is this idiot could have called and verified it himself instead of calling someone a name like a two year old .Well it's done now and I can settle my blood down for awhile.
Aled Rhys Jones

Post by Aled Rhys Jones »

Auction has ended, no bids. Quel surprise.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

The seller ended the auction early. It was a nine day auction and he pulled the plug early. A wise move.

------------------
<font size=-1>My Site - Instruction