Ted Daffan's Texans

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Lucas

Ted Daffan's Texans

Post by Jeff Lucas »

I've been getting really into these guys lately and have wondered if anyone has any firsthand experience of them "back in the day". Ted plays the steel on his recordings. I've been listening to his big hit "Born to Lose" and there's a great steel intro... then some sung verses... then the steel comes back under the next verse(s). My question primarily being, was Ted able to sing and play the steel?! This was way before over-dubbing and he's the only steel player listed. Just curious as I've wanted to start singing while playing and have been having a hard time imagining it.

Thanks!
Al Johnson

Post by Al Johnson »

don't have any names in my head right now but I don't believe Ted daffen sang he had a number of singers, I believe Ted played steel and wrote great songs and had a relaxed band. Al
Jeff Lucas

Post by Jeff Lucas »

Al: you're absolutely right. After a little bit more research I found that Leon Seago is the vocalist on "Born to Lose". I just ass/u/me/d that Ted was the singer. Arrgh! Sorry guys! I guess this could change to "any singer slash steel players" out there?
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

I am confused........the Ted Daffan that I remember played a fiddle with Merl Lindsay and other western-swing bands!

Could the steel player possibly be the son of the fiddle player?

www.genejones.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gene Jones on 21 March 2004 at 04:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

I remember Ted Daffin, his simger Leon Seago,and I were in same outfit in ww2 for awhile. Leon was a aild guy .He sure could sing though. Dont remember what Ted played

R. L. Jones
R. L. Jones

Post by R. L. Jones »

Gene Ted Daffin was big in 40s,, they from San Antonia Tex. He is only one I knew, and had his own Band
billchav

Post by billchav »

Gene, I talked to Ted several years ago in Houston; a couple of years before his death. I wanted him to teach me his original version of BLUE STEEL BLUES. He told me he had not played in years and was not sure if he could still remember how to play it. It was great talking to him about his playing back in the 40's ,etc. www.billchaviers.com
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

I have a copy of Ted Daffan's Texans' original Columbia "78" record,of "Blue Steel Blues",b/w "Worried Mind".

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Thanks for all the good info. Looks like I should change my initial thought to: "Maybe the fiddle player was the son of the steel player". Image

www.genejones.com
Joe Law

Post by Joe Law »

Ted Daffin was my inspiration to begin lking the steel after hearing his Born to Lose & No Letter Today.

I bought and still have, everything I could of his records. One of my favorites was " Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt".