And then, there's service like this:

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

David Mason

And then, there's service like this:

Post by David Mason »

I have some old Grover mini tuners on a guitar, so old I can't even remember where they came from, certainly no receipts or anything like that. One of them just started making crunchy noises so I wrote to Grover, trying to find out where to buy just one replacement.
<SMALL>David; You can send back your bad machine to us and we will replace it no charge.</SMALL>
I guess they don't even want postage? I'm gonna write the Ford Motor Company and my ex-wife's parents next, you never know.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

<SMALL>and my ex-wife's parents next...</SMALL>
Now THAT'S Funny! Image<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 02 June 2006 at 11:11 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

I have a ShopVac that I keep next to my workbench. The switch on the top of it kept messing up and I would have to take the unit apart and clean the switch and put it all back together. One day the switch went out while I was trying to get a repair done for someone and I decided to contact ShopVac and get a new switch. I emailed them and told them the whole story about taking the unit apart and putting it back together and they emailed back and asked for my address and that they would take care of it. I got a package a few days later with a brand new complete upper assembly for the vac!!! All I had to do was just bolt it on. THAT is service.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yes, there are still some people who believe in good old-fashioned service still. Of course, BJS bars comes to mind also.

But another one is the Martin Guitar Company. In about 1992, I was about to buy an original 1958 D-18 from the original owner. The original bridge was cracked, so he brought it to a luthier friend, an authorised Martin service center. Martin covered the repair, no questions.
Frank Parish

Post by Frank Parish »

Don't forget the Timex watch folks. I sent them a watch back around 1980 and after almost a year it came back to me with a whole new movement and looked like new. I got that wat ch from my ex-wife and still ahve it. Same thing with a Zippo lighter once.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

BJS was already mentioned.

Keith Hilton is another one that goes "beyond the call of duty" for customer service.

Let's hear some more!
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

I once bought a used Sho~Bud from our friend Bobbe Seymour. He sent me soooo much free stuff with it, I was "almost" ashamed to except it! Image Tee shirts, strings, tunning wrench,CD's, Tapes,an ex-wife.....
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

The Zippo factory is about a mile from where I work. Been thru the place many times, have a couple relatives that work there.
For years their swag was a penny on a keychain, titled "The cent never spent to repair a Zippo lighter". Always was that if you had one that was worn out, smash it with a hammer & send it in...
Running it over by a train doesn't work though, nothin' left Image
Gary Schuldt

Post by Gary Schuldt »

Last Fall i bought a new Warwick Bass guitar from Guitar Center in Knoxville. Dana B.Goode in California, is the distributor. About a month ago the material started to come lose on the gig bag,which if i can add it is a very nice road worthy bag.Not one of those cheapies.
I called Dana B Goode and told them the problem. They told me they would send a new bag out right away,including shipping charges.No questions asked.They also told me to keep the old bag.I could salvage anything i wanted off it.
I think this goes to show that most people in the retail music buisness, are musicians themselves.And they would want the same kind of consideration if they had a problem with any piece of gear that they purchased.
The greatest bunch of people in the world belong to this forum.And Musicians,young and old make this world just a little better place to live.
Music is the best therapy i know of.
Your Friend in Music,
Gary Schuldt
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Add MSA to the list.

I recently sent them one of my steels so they could study the wist lever (which was not an orignal MSA part) and copy the undercarriage.

While studying the guitar, Johnny noticed a problem I was unaware of, which they are fixing at no charge.

Johnny, if you're reading this, thanks once again.

------------------
My web site
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mike Perlowin on 03 June 2006 at 01:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Howard Tate

Post by Howard Tate »

There are actually several companies with good service. I recently bought a Nashville 112 from Bobbe Seymoure. After about four gigs the handle broke. Mike Brown sent me the toll free number of the parts department. I talked to a very nice lady and three days later got a new handle in the mail.

------------------
Howard
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Good name for that lighter factory. I sent my lighter back,.......and I got zippo!

Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

I agree with Mike P. MSA has always been there for me if I needed parts in a hurry. Thanks Johnny, Reece, Kyle, Sonny, and Stan.
Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904