Guitar Setup? (underarm guitar)

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Carter York

Guitar Setup? (underarm guitar)

Post by Carter York »

Could someone describe the process used to adjust bridges on spanish-style guitars? I had my Gibson SG 'setup', and I know all of the strings needed adjustment, but I'd like to know more about the specifics of what was happening, how it was determined they needed adjusting, and how they did that. A good web resource will suffice, too. Thanks!
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Set up on a Gibson SG style electric guitar with a tun o matic bridge I guess is what you are asking about.

If you are only asking about the bridge set up then you just put a capo on the first fret-that takes the nut out of the picture. Then you press a string down at the fret closet to the body and use that straight line to judge how much relief is in the neck--adjust that to your liking by turning the truss rod clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen. Adjust the thumbwheels on the bridge to achieve the action you like on the bass and treble strings. Then take off the capo and check and adjust the string slots at the bridge-adjust to your liking by making them deeper or filling in the slot and making them shallower. Then go to the bridge saddles and set the intonation. Lay the guitar on your bench and don't support the neck at the headstock as this will bow the neck forward and give you a false reading. Support the neck in the center and play the 12th fret harmonic-tune that straight up on your tuner. Now fret the guitar at the 12th fret RIGHT AT THE FRET--not in the middle. Look at your tuner. If the note is sharpe, adjust the saddle towards the butt end of the guitar. If the note is flat then adjust the saddle towards the headstock end of the guitar. Do this adjustment with a new set of strings on the guitar. Hope this helps.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

I would like to add, to Bill's excellent procedure---Don't get over-zealous tightening the truss rod. I've seen more than one truss rod get broken this way!
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I would add, when adjusting the intonation with the bridge saddles, I also like to compare the harmonics and notes at the 19th fret. If you prefer to play with heavy strings and/or high action on certain guitars, these may differ somewhat from what you get at the 12th fret - I try to average them out.

I also prefer to set the intonation with strings that have settled in for a few days. I know that this is heresy and I have been sufficiently excoriated on other sites, but if you set your intonation with brand new strings, your notes up the neck will be out of tune in a few weeks. I have several guitars and not every one of them gets brand new strings every day - oh sure - so I try to hit a happy medium regarding string age and adjustments. It only takes a few minutes to do with an electronic tuner, and many pros actually readjust them a few times a day when they're recording, but I'm not, so....
Carter York

Post by Carter York »

Thank you gentlemen, for your replies. I was mainly thinking of the intonation adjustments, but am glad to hear about the other factors. I know there must be "science" at work, but why are there adjustments on (some) electric guitars, but not on (most) acoustic guitars? Aren't the same principles at work?
Curtis Alford

Post by Curtis Alford »

Musical Exchange on North Loop, Walter, is your answer (512)-451-8512.
Walter been doing my work for 43 years very good at it.
Carter York

Post by Carter York »

Walter is tops, I agree. He has set up my electric guitar, fixed a broken neck on my acoustic, handmade a nut for my oud, not to mention how much I like his smarta** brand of humor! With Walter and Jon side by side you can take care of just about everything.