Just bought an American standard tele 1/2 price

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Terry Sneed

Just bought an American standard tele 1/2 price

Post by Terry Sneed »

Went in our local music store today, and picked up the only American made Tele left in the store. One of the owners walked by and said I'll sell you that guitar for 1/2 price. Not a thing wrong with the guitar. It's black with a maple neck. A $1200.00 guitar and I got it for $600. Been wanting a good American made Tele for a long time, and finally got one. Now if I can just get a Tele tone out of it playin through my Nashville 112's. Anybody else play your Tele through a Nashville 112?

Terry

------------------
Mullen RP D10 /8x5 / Nashville 112/ American Tele
pickin for Jesus

Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

You guys that play a Tele through a 112, do ya'll mind sharing your settings? any effects that would add to the Tele tone?
I like Tony Prior's tone, so if I could get just somewhere close to his tone I'd be happy.
I know he plays with fingers, no picks. I can't do that, I use a flat pick and my middle finger. Any suggestions? Image

Terry

------------------
pickin for Jesus

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

Tele's are meant to be played with tubes. A 112 is voiced for steel, and isn't going to give you a decent tone for a Telecaster.
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Suggestion: Fender Twin for the Tele.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Im' with Marlin on this one. Teles' and Fender Twin reverbs. THATS country enough!

------------------
72 Professional 8&5,73 PRO II 8&4, 79/80 PRO III 8&4,Fender Steelking, Hilton pedal, USA Tele, Fender Twin,Peterson tuner,Tut Taylor Reso's and Twang to the Bone!!

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

uhh ohh..I heard my name..or rather
I READ my name

thanks for nuttin' Terry !

well heres the deal for me..

and obviously I can only speak to what works for me..

So Terry here ya go buddy..

Tube amps IN

Solid State OUT..for the most part

yes I play off my finger tips, thumb and first two fingers ..no picks..
but the detriment there is VOLUME..
Tone is fine but Volume really suffers...

Amps of choice

Fender Twin..ya think ?
Peavey Classic 50s' 2x12 or 4x10
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 or 4x10
Peavey Classic 30's
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Ok, Solid State amps

Peavey Bandit 65 ..pretty good amp..

Session 400, the only STEEL amp that works for me..although I know the Nashville 400's are used by many..

ok, even better Tube amps

Dr Z Maz 38 special ...
peel off around $1800

Vox AC 30
peel off between a grand and $1500

The thing abaout playing Telecasters is that they are very personal, they are not like your average Humbucker Guitar where they pretty much have an overall nice easy to achieve quality tone right out of the box.

Tele's are a different bread...generally we hear a great player..love the tone ..and go out and grab a Tele and guess what?

it ain't happenin'...

Most Tele players, and ALL that I personally know have spent YEARS bringing home the tone and are always seeking yet another improvement to the DRIVE..

enter the boutique amps...

I think overall if a player really understands what they are looking for from a Tele, and have a fine one like fellow Steeler Terry has just acquired..which has USA Delta Tones PUPS and an ASH body I believe..with some seat time and tinkering..you can bring in a tone which is pleasing..Personal picking style and attack play a major role in overall Telecaster tone..as do fresh strings and gauges etc...

Let me go on record with this

Without fresh stings there ain't no TELE tone..When I gig on Tele as the main Instrument it's new strings every week.. I use .09's by the way.. yes a loss in volume from .10's but a left hand issue has caused me to step down a gauge...

Terry try giving the 112 a low end boost, pull out the mids and find a hi end and presence that doesn't murder your family...

Also, Telecasters love an amp that breaks up a bit in the preamp , which Peavey Steel amps do not do..and we don't want them to...

just sit and work thru it there Terry, you got yourself a fine new axe..you may also want to try using a BOSS Blues Driver to give you some edge..the Blue one..BD-2..with the 112..good luck

It only took me 30 years to dial in any consistency for the tone for my style of playing..I hope you can get yours in much less time than that..!

t

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="3">------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite
</font></font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 14 May 2006 at 05:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Well, thanks Tony and everbody else. I would love to have a Hot rod deville with 4 10's, but That ain't goin to happen no time soon.And a Fender Twin is waaay out of the question. I just bought two Nashville 112's and an a new Tele, so I'm broke. Image I will give the blues driver a try when I rake up the money to buy one. But for now, I'm just goin to have to be happy with what I got. Image
Thanks for the info guys.

Terry

------------------
pickin for Jesus

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 14 May 2006 at 06:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Terry. The modellers like the Podxt or Pod 2 do just fine, and the 112 is more than enough.

I'm playing my GLASAT through a two Peavey amp Podxt rig. I tried a stomp compressor last nite and played just through the 112. It was fine.

Enjoy.

If you want to try something off the wall go get a Roland MicroCube for 125 and use it as a preamp. (Make sure you can bring it back if you don't like it. You might be surprised.

Getting a compressor will give you a LOT of what's called "tele sound" even running what you've got. You get up to stage level and the DDT compressor gives a nice effect.

Cut your Lows and mids and boost your highs.

Stay away from the New Fender stuff like those little "Princetons". They're not.

Actually for the bucks a Behringer 1 12 might be what you're looking for. Check them out if you have a chance.

If you've got the money an old fender twin is great to have.

I'd vote for a compressor first and then a Pod/ 2x or xt. Used on Craigslist or otherwise.

Then save up for "the" amp.

EJL
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

well controversay as usual..
I come from the school,of Boost the lows..
Eric comes from the school of Cut the lows..

who's wrong ? Neither..

the BIGGEST problem with Telecasters is that MY settings for my specific Tele may not work for YOUR specific Tele...

These Guitars are so totally different on the sonic end it's not even funny.

Telecasters are VERY susceptible to WHICH PUPS, what WOOD..etc....

night and day for some Tele's...

one shoe DON'T fit the whole work crew here..
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

You can pick up a Digitech Genesis 3 modeler for under $100 (on a lucky day) that many people even prefer to the PODs. I agree you have to get something to nasty up your tone, some other people prefer the Boss SD-1 pedal that you can get for $50 new and for less used. If you get into the collectable, pawnshop stompbox thing who knows what might turn up, there are $10 and $20 boxes that each add their own thing.
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Thanks guys. Eric, I have a Roland micro cube.How would I hook it up as a preamp? I hadn't used it hardly at all since I've had it, so I put it on Ebay last night.
I use to have a pod xt, and like a nut I sold it and got a pod 2.0 which I didn't like at all because of the noise. The pod xt made no noise al all. I guess I could sell my Lexicon MPX 110 and along with my micro cube, scrape up a little more money and get a pod xt. They do have good amp modeling. Oh well. I'll probly end up keepin what I have and makin the best of it.
so Tony, Eric, do I cut the lows or boost the lows? Image

Terry

------------------
pickin for Jesus

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 15 May 2006 at 09:35 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 15 May 2006 at 09:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Terry, go get an old Bandit for $125 bucks, and any decent compressor for around $75, and then it's up to your hands and fingers. There's better stuff of course, but on the cheap is not impossible. I have used my NV112 for regular guitar, but it taks a LOT of tone knob manipulation to get anything decent,and is not a great clean sound for guitar. It was OK with a tubescreamer. The NV112 does sound really excellent with an accoustic/electric, but you really have to jack around that mid control. JP
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Well Terry After work I tried a couple things. One was my Boss compressor into my Session400 Nvl400 and my 112. They all sucked with my tele going direct.

I tried the Cube, and actually liked the "Acoustic" model best. At least the reverb wasn't that suck peavey reverb. The "Blackface" was a little more middy.

I gotta admit that the only thing I'm satisfied with is the Podxt. It's that way for my Steel too.

I've got a Digitec P60 I think it is and the amp models are good enough but the reverb and compressors suck. Maybe the other one mentioned is abetter bet.

To try the Cube as a preamp come out of the headphone jack to the amp. It's nearly totally noiseless and if I was faced with the loss of my Pod, I'd use it. The reverb is nicer, and it sounds a lot "tubier". I really like a compressor, and I have a Boss CS3 when I'm not using my Pod. (I have been using it before my volume pedal and cutting the one on the Pod lately, and like it thataway.)

I am getting that you just want to get the best sound without burying yourself in a lot of new equipment for now, and that's how I'm answering. The Cube you have on hand is probably like an "entry level" steel, and will of course go back to where it was after you rob a few more gas stations ( Image ) and either get one of the fine setups or amps mentioned by the others here or what I recommend, a Podxt.

A clean Solid State amp like the 112 or any of the Nvls will blow a lot of tubers away. (You gotta have the headroom though or not push the 112 until the DDT compression comes on.)

The "tele tone" I'm stuck in is the "Don Rich" thin as tinsel and sharp as a knife tone, rather than the Danny Gatton "chainsaw". A good "Burton Fret Buzz" sometimes. Then plenty of "mellow lows" and an action set high enough to avoid buzzing when played suitably sensitively and "the other pickup" switched on.

I guess another way to put it is as far from a Les Paul and a 335 as a guy can get.

Throw a new set of strings on that thing, take it down to a music store and make a nuisance of yourself during the process of trying out every amp in the store.

If I had time I'd post the "country version" of the 'Waynes World' "Can I Help You Lick™". (The intro to "Long Sermon" by BP works for me.)

Play with that cube, and go out and try some stuff with your guitar.

EJL

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Well heck Terry, if you've got a Lexicon 110. I'd use it for the reverb, add a 20% 283ms delay, and heck with the "overdriven" stuff. Get a stomp compressor and you're set. I was reading your other post. Your 112 used gently and through a PA would be just the ticket.

I've got a Turbo Overdrive that seems to act as a good "tubey" sound but I only use it for that "fuzz tone" stuff that I rarely play on gigs.

I think what's missed a lot is that the "old guys" pumped up their twins so they would minimize the breakup caused by tubes. Now it seems everybody wants what they were trying to get rid of..

I gotta admit I like the "Tweed Bassman" model on my Pod though, and my favorite steel sound is indeed a local guy's double Fender amps.

Course now I'm an "old guy"..

EJL

Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Well thanks Eric. I'm a big fan of the Don Rich tone also. But the Tele tone I like the best, besides Tony's finger pickin, is ,I reckon you'd call it the Burton fret -buzz. I've been lookin at the Boss blues driver on Ebay. Sounds like one of those toys might work. I'll piddle with the micro cube, and if I find something I like I might just keep it. I'm strainin my brain tryin to figure out how to hook up all these cords to my mixer and CD player and steels and Lexicon fx.I think I can come up with somethin I can live with till I can get me a good used fender twin or Hot rod deville or somethin. Thanks again
Terry

Terry
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

let me be perfectly clear..

I heard Jimmy Capps and Jim Messina..
and never looked back...

Listen to Jimmy Capps on the Jimmy Crawford TON of Steel record...not a ton of playing but what IS there is the best...

ref: Foggy Mountian Breakdown...

that style and tone was a defining moment for me...especially for a someone who had been playing Rock and Blues , but with an ear for Country at the time...

THAT was the tone and STYLE for me...

I recall way way back..when I was started seeking the Holy Grail Tele tone..instead of FUZZ and Volume..I was playing a 68 Tele with a Twin..

I was in conversation with several players, I was in the listen mode..yeh..pretty hard for me even I would admit..

But someone commented about Jim Messina..

another said..

I wish I could sound like him..

Tele and a Twin..sounds awesome...

Someone else said..

You can, put your Pick away...

"PUT your Pick away"..

what a concept..

So I did...

But it took several years or so do relearn how to play everything..and there were some "Moments"..

still are....

Terry you're really kind ,,but I would have to state that my right hand style is probably more imprtant to my personal sound, along with fresh strings than the amp...

I have heard countless players who can knock me and my sound off the charts..and they have a totally different approach...but they all had excellent right hand technique...

Everything that I have recorded ( my mp3's), they are all recorded direct thru a cheap ART 12ax7 preamp..

go figure

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="3">------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite
</font></font>

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 16 May 2006 at 04:24 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 16 May 2006 at 04:27 AM.]</p></FONT>
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Terry,
I use the Boss Blues Driver With my Tele and Twin and like it a lot. If you use it sparringly you can get the "fret buzz" sound that I think we both like. {and a lot of others as well} also check out the "Keeley"
mod for the Blues Driver www.robertKeeley.com
I just picked one up used from Gaylon Mathews and the mod makes an already good pedal TONS better!! Good luck in your search!

------------------
72 Professional 8&5,73 PRO II 8&4, 79/80 PRO III 8&4,Fender Steelking, Hilton pedal, USA Tele, Fender Twin,Peterson tuner,Tut Taylor Reso's and Twang to the Bone!!

Jim Peters

Post by Jim Peters »

Tony, I saw Loggins and Messina on TV a month ago. Messina was playing a Strat! Heresy!
JP<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jim Peters on 16 May 2006 at 02:22 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Thanks Larry, I think the Blues driver will be my next toy.

Terry
Marlin Smoot

Post by Marlin Smoot »

Terry, I agree with Larry. The Keeley modded BOSS BD-2 is the way to go.

I have a Tele with Kinman pickups and run it direct into a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket for the "breaking up tubes" overdrive sound and use a Keeley compressor.

Also, it's important to use really good quality cords/cables. I use Monster Rock guitar cables and Planet Waves. The difference in sound and tone is amazing from the cheap-o $10 dollar Musicians Friend/Guitar Center cables.

Sure, Monster Rock and Planet Waves are expensive but if you're a tone junkie nothing else but the best will do.

Tele and Twin...your basic tone foundation. Build it up from there. Include a Keeley BD-2 and Keeley compressor. Put it on a credit card.

Good luck in your quest for tone...
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Marlin, I looked at the Keely Boss BD2 and that's the one I'd like to have. Got to sell some more stuff on Ebay. Image

Terry
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Terry,
There is one for sale right now in the amps and acc. section! Grab it!

------------------

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

clearly the best info I have received from this thread:

quote:
Put it on a credit card

Ya can't get better than that even in Texas..

t<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 19 May 2006 at 04:10 AM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Thank God for credit cards! Image

------------------
pickin for Jesus

Jesse Harris

Post by Jesse Harris »

"Tele's are meant to be played with tubes. A 112 is voiced for steel, and isn't going to give you a decent tone for a Telecaster. "

Tell that to Redd Volkaert, he (at times) plays a NV 400, a good sounding tele, a couple of decent pedals and good hands can make for a pretty good tele tone.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Jesse Harris on 19 May 2006 at 04:16 PM.]</p></FONT>