From "Hawaiian guitar" to "steel guitar"

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

Whenever people ask what I play when I say I'm a musician I say Hawaiian style steel guitar. I don't bother to go into details about the differences between a pedal steel and a lap steel. Its all still a mystery to most folks. I kind of like that.
Rick Collins

Post by Rick Collins »

<SMALL>Its all still a mystery to most folks. I kind of like that.</SMALL>
Don, I agree with you. It's a good thing that steel guitar isn't as popular as Spanish guitars. Who would want every six string guitar banger playing steel. It seems only the better guitar players have the patience___and migrate to steel guitar.

It's kinda' like (for the most part) keep the integrity of the neighborhood as "orderly" as possible. And so far, I'm just like Will Rogers, I've never met a steeler I didn't like. Image

Rick<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 28 February 2004 at 08:51 AM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Hay Bob ! I think Gene Jones nailed it as to when things changed from Hawaiian to just steel !! I was going through some old sheet music and happened to think of your question , so I looked for the transition in what the publishers were calling it ,
here is what I come up with .

Hawaiian guitar solos
Amsco music Pub.
copyright MCMXLVI maybe you can read Roman numerals { I cant }

Nick Manoloff's Hawaiian guitar method
copyright 1936

Oaha Publishing
Christmas songs Hawaiian Guitar
copyright 1931

Here is were Oaha Publishing changed from Hawaiian to Electric Steel Guitar . On a copy of " Panhandle Rag " Published by Oahu Pub. the copy right was 1949 . So Gene is correct in saying the change was between 45 and 50

Bob