Mall music

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Leslie Ehrlich

Mall music

Post by Leslie Ehrlich »

I got to feeling old when shopping malls stopped using Muzak for background music and are now playing some of the top forty rock and pop hits that I grew up with. They also play tunes that are little before my time (1950s and 1960s stuff) and some 'newer' tunes (1980s and 1990s stuff). How can you tell I did most of my growing up in the 1970s?

Anyway, I've heard a good mix of pop, classic rock, and old rock 'n' roll from the 50s and 60s played over mall PA systems, and while that allowed for some variation I heard something different yesterday. Old country! I'm talking 1950s and 1960s kind of stuff, with lots of non-pedal steel to boot! Now that's a switch! I didn't mind it because it's a refreshing change from what I usually hear over the mall PA.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

That does it. I'm moving!
Deborah Mundell

Post by Deborah Mundell »

I heard a very rock song of Janis Joplin's made into elevator music about 15 years ago. THAT made me feel old, and it sounded terrible, to boot! Can't remember which song it was, but they totally ruined it!!

------------------
billy hughes fan
Billy Hughes
faron young's bigsby

Keith Cordell

Post by Keith Cordell »

I feel like going on a rampage every time one of my real favorites gets the Muzak treatment. Especially, for some reason, Steely Dan. Just chaps my ***. I heard a total deevolution of some great Elvis Costello stuff the other day too- grrr.
Bobby Lee
Site Admin

Post by Bobby Lee »

The supermarket here in Cloverdale plays nothing but 60's top 40. All very familiar tunes from my youth. I sort of enjoy that.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Once heard a famous song writer say,when you hear one of your songs on an eleavator,you know you have made it.