For Mitch Drumm - HELP Please

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Deborah Mundell

For Mitch Drumm - HELP Please

Post by Deborah Mundell »

Mitch,
I hate to keep bothering you, but you are the only one I’ve found that seems to know much about Billy Hughes. Three quick questions-

1-Did Billy own the Fargo records that he did so many early recordings on?

Quote: In his final years, he was involved with a singer/song plugger guy that Billy fed newly written songs to, in hopes they might get some publicity and get recorded legitimately.
2-Do you know the guy’s name? I’m guessing Don Albright and/or Kevin Lord?

3-Do you have recording dates (even approx) on your discography? I don’t have any except the Big D. If you care to share your discography with me, you can e-mail me directly at deb24076@cox.net. Actually, what I have is at http://members.cox.net/deb24076/billyhughesdiscography.htm

Thank you so much for all your input.
Deborah Mundell

Mitch - Haven't seen you at the forum much lately - hope you are OK. BTW - I am the nut that paid $123.00 for Billy Hughes Big D 45rpm record on Ebay, in case you noticed that listing. Now I just need to find the rest I'm missing.

------------------
billy hughes fan
Billy Hughes
faron young's bigsby

Mitch Drumm

Post by Mitch Drumm »

1-Did Billy own the Fargo records that he did so many early recordings on?

I suspect I asked Billy about this, but I either forgot or never committed it to memory.

Quote: In his final years, he was involved with a singer/song plugger guy that Billy fed newly written songs to, in hopes they might get some publicity and get recorded legitimately.
2-Do you know the guy’s name? I’m guessing Don Albright and/or Kevin Lord?

If memory serves, the guy had a very common first name beginning with R--quite possibly Ray? Don Albright and Kevin Lord don't ring bells, but Billy may well have been involved with multiple people. Sometime after speaking with Billy, I got wind of "Ray's" work and apparent mode of operation and was appalled that Billy was reduced to dealing with him.

3-Do you have recording dates (even approx) on your discography? I don’t have any except the Big D.

Here's a few approximations:

4 Star 1282: late 1948 or early 49

King 609, very late 46/very early 47

Fargo 1119, early to mid 48

Gilt-Edge 5018, late 1950

Gilt-Edge 5027, early 1951

I don't have it in front of me, but the Space 78 has all the visual earmarks of an early 50s release.

I completely forgot about Jerry Jericho on Daffan, so I am obviously losing my marbles.

Frankly surprised to see that price on the Big D single. It is very hard to find, but it isn't a rocker and isn't even one of his best recordings (in my opinion). I don't think it has been reissued, so I would guess some of the bidders have not heard it or are interested only because it is Billy's only 45 rpm release. I've seen only 3 or 4 copies offered in 30 years.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mitch Drumm on 19 April 2006 at 06:15 PM.]</p></FONT>
Deborah Mundell

Thanks, Mitch!!

------------------
billy hughes fan
Billy Hughes
faron young's bigsby