Hawkshaw Hawkins' Steel Player?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Lucas

Hawkshaw Hawkins' Steel Player?

Post by Jeff Lucas »

I just heard Hawkshaw Hawkins' "The Longer We're Together (The More We Drift Apart)" and really dug the steel part. It sounds to my (still learning) ears like Jerry Byrds's playing, especially the vibrato... but I don't want to step on anybody's toes! Can anybody help me out here?
Regards,
Jeff
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

JB did do sessions with HH, so...
Ed Naylor

Post by Ed Naylor »

I don't know about this particular song,but,the late Claude Brownell played with Hawk.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Some more players who recorded with HH:

Bob Foster, Bud Isaacs, Walter Haynes.

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

I cut a session with Hawkshaw at King Records years ago -- probably the late 40's. I only recall one of the four songs on that session: one called "Too Long". It starts on the 5 chord and the first line is "Too long, too long, I've waited too long, hoping you'd care".
Edited to say that Jerry Byrd probably did play on some of Hawkshaw's King Record Company records -- as King is in Cincinnati and I think Jerry was in Cincinnati at that time.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Roy Ayres on 25 February 2004 at 10:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jeff Lucas

Post by Jeff Lucas »

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I just received this from my friend Ken Hippler who runs a great internet radio show at live365.com called "Vintage Country" where I heard the Hawkins' record:

"This Hawkshaw Hawkins recording was done in Cincinnati February 1949, and that IS Jerry Byrd on the steel guitar. It was released on King in July 1949. This recording and 25 others by Hawkshaw Hawkins can be found on the CD 'Unadulterated Early Hawkshaw Hawkins Singles' (CCD-276) on the German based Cattle label. The website is www.dagmar-anita-binge.de or I'm sure you could get it from Roots and Rhythm out of El Cerrito, CA."

So my ears ARE learnin' afterall. I think all the hours I'm putting in on slants are kicking my brain in all the right ways.

Ray, I wonder if any of your Hawkins work might be found on this cd? The website is amazing.... plenty of steel guitar goodies to be had. There goes another paycheck!

Regards to all...
Jeff

Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Good NEWS! & BAD NEWS! I've not heard that tune.....didn't know about it. I should have a copy for the JBFC files. Good News is I'm hoping somehow to acquire a copy of it and so, the search goes on. Thanks for the tip-off. Now the frustration sets in.
Jeff Lucas

Post by Jeff Lucas »

Oops!
BAD news: I meant "Roy" in my post (Roy Ayres). My apologies, Roy and Ray!
GOOD news: There's another cd at the above mentioned site that contains many radio transcriptions of Hawkshaw Hawkins with JB...!!! More for the collection!
Regards,
Jeff<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Lucas on 25 February 2004 at 04:46 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Lucas on 25 February 2004 at 04:47 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

NOW THAT IS GOOD NEWS! Thanx Jeff!