When I Dream"........

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Charles Curtis

When I Dream"........

Post by Charles Curtis »

I watched a Korean action movie the other day, captioned in english & credits were in Korean; in the final scene a girl hands a guy a CD player and said, to the effect, she left you this message. The song was, "When I Dream", and it was sung in english. Her voice was familiar but I couldn't think of a name. Does anyone remember this? It must have been a hit recording.
Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

Crystal Gayle had a hit on the song several years ago. Also, Jack Clement had a beautiful version of it. Not sure if it's the one in the movie.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I'll bet it was Crystal's recording; I'll check it out. I was so impressed that I immediately went to my guitar and had no trouble finding it. However I would be interested in a "real pro's" rendition.
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

Charles,

You've got to get Jeff Newman's CD, Once In A Lifetime. It could not get any better. This selection, as well as all the others on this CD, is priceless. Listening to this makes me miss Jeff more and more. Try it...you won't be sorry.

Milton

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
Kelly Hydorn

Post by Kelly Hydorn »

But if you want a steel guitar rendition of When I dream, go order Ron Elliott's new CD, which just happens to have that song on it and may I say it's very nicely done as only Ron can play it. I can say that because he has played that particular number on many of the steel guitar shows such as St. Louis. So git-er-done.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

<SMALL>Crystal Gayle had a hit on the song several years ago. Also, Jack Clement had a beautiful version of it. Not sure if it's the one in the movie.</SMALL>
For the record, Jack Clement wrote "When I Dream".

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Glenn Suchan on 24 March 2006 at 05:37 AM.]</p></FONT>
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Thanks everyone. I have Jeff's CD; what I should have posted was, I would like the tab for the song. I have been listening to Jeff's rendition more since I saw the movie, but I can't come close his styling or ability.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Charles, is Crystal Gayle's recording not a "real pros rendition?"
Milton Guilbeau

Post by Milton Guilbeau »

Thanks Kelly Hydorn for reminding me of Ron Elliott’s version of this tune. At my age, I sometimes – or - always forget important things. It so happened that I had listened to Jeff's CD this week and it was fresh in my mind at the time of my post above.

Now I have both, Jeff's and Ron's, "When I Dream,” running on a single playlist in my Mac’s iTunes, looped together. What a great 7:20 minutes of continuous 'DREAMING', listening to Jeff’s and Ron's 'When I DREAM'.

Sooooo, my apologies and "Hats Off" to Ron. Ron's new CD, "Hats Off" To The Ladies…priceless.

------------------
"One never retires from music, any more than one retires from breathing."
joe long

Post by joe long »

Many year's ago when TNN was actually country there was a program hosted by Bobby Bare. This program spot lighted the writers. On one of those show's Bobby had Jack Clemments and his staff writers for his publishing company. There was female writer, can't remember her name, but she was credited with writing "When I Dream".

I wish that I had had a VCR back in those days and really wish that someone would re-broadcast those old shows. I especially enjoyed the Bobby Bare show because I found it interesting as to how some of these song writers actully came up with these songs.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Joe, I checked and you're right. Jack Clement didn't write "When I Dream. But he did write many great songs including "Miller's Cave", "I Know One" and "Just Between You And Me" (both of which were hits for Charley Pride) and "Heartbreak Tennessee" which Johnny Paycheck recorded. Here's a link to Jack's song catalog.
http://www.cowboyjackclement.com/discography/songwriter/cjc_catalog.html

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Sandy Mason is the sole (soul?) writer of "When I Dream" which appeared on two Crystal Gayle albums before it was a hit! But, my favorite version was recorded by Cowboy Jack Clement…

------------------
Ray Qualls
President(KSGA) www.rayqualls.com

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by ray qualls on 31 March 2006 at 10:00 AM.]</p></FONT>
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Russ Hicks and the late Jimmy Crawford did a killer version of it on their Chicken Pickin' Plus CD. Beautiful!